Leaves in the Fall
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1664) 11 years ago
Can someone explain to me how leaves blown into the street in front of your property look more attractive than leaves on your property? This has always confused me.

Not to mention what happened to mowing and/or raking them up instead of blowing them everywhere?
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 11 years ago
I stopped raking up and bagging leaves years ago. I don't like the thought of adding more plastic to the garbage and the leaves are biodegradable. I am enjoying the leaves this year. Last year they were all on the ground in one day after a horrible rainstorm. No color to enjoy!
supporter
Kacey, I didn't say anything about bagging. You can mow and rake your leaves and not use plastic bags.

Honestly, I couldn't care less if someone doesn't want to do anything about their leaves. As you say, they are biodegradable. What I don't understand are the people who feel a need to blow their leaves out into the street or into their neighbor's yard. Do they somehow look more attractive out in a pile in the street, than they do in the yard? It is confusing to me.
Posted by DStone (+146) 11 years ago
I think they're a part of fall and they look nice on the lawn... Maybe thats just from years in a tropical climate though.
supporter
I agree. I think they look better on the lawn than in a pile on the street.
Posted by jabba (+19) 11 years ago
I think they look best in my neighbors yard. I hope he thinks so too!
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 11 years ago
Denise,
You seem very upset about this. I didn't say that you said anything about bagging. I merely made a statement about what I do. If you have a neighbor blowing leaves into your yard or into your street and it's bothering you ask them to stop. I guess with everything else there is to deal with in life leaves are not on the top of my list of things to fret about.
supporter
Um, Kacey, I'm not upset at this at all, and certainly not "very upset". My one neighbor does not (and really could not) blow his leaves into my yard. I made this comment after running errands this morning and noticing three different people blowing their leaves into the street. My simple question was how this looked more attractive than just leaving them in your yard? I also feel this way about snow removal when people blow their snow into the street and then create problems for motorists who are trying to park in the drifts.

Of course there are more important problems in the world. Since when can't we discuss an issue short of disease and death? Part of feeling like you belong to a community is the ability to discuss issues that affect the community, like motor vehicle issues, property maintenance issues, etc.

[This message has been edited by Denise Selk (10/15/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 11 years ago
Won't the street sweeper come by and suck them up eventually?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11898) 11 years ago
The City is not fond of leaves being blown in the street because they very often end up clogging the storm sewers. Personally, I think those leaf blowers should be illegal just because they waste energy, cause noise and air pollution, and contribute to the general laziness of the American people!