Cowboys vs. Hardin
Posted by Slosh (+701) 11 years ago
This game probably doesn't deserve it's own thread, but what the hell.

I'm thinking this will be in the 63-0 range. Varsity will play the first half, like Glendive, and hold a 42-0 lead at half. The JV kids will keep it rolling in the second half.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 11 years ago
I'd like to see a shutout, but if Hardin scores, I'm guessing it'll be on a kickoff return. Zannon Stands is pretty decent. He'll have plenty of opportunities to display his skills.

I won't go into too much detail regarding the history of the series, other than to say that it's lopsided (wait, there's more!). But for those of you who are interested in such things, the top three (and 4 of the top 7) high-scoring games by the Cowboys over the last 30 years have come against Hardin, including a 67-18 win in 1983, a 62-15 victory in 1994 and a 56-14 win in 1995.

It's been awhile since the Cowboys put up a 60 spot (1994), so that would be good to see. Good luck this weekend!
Posted by Brian Hubbell (+116) 11 years ago
Cowboys by 52 points, I will be leaving the game at halftime I'm sure.
http://www.bighorncountyn...tory2.html

So losing by 43 points is a "moral victory" according to the writer? I guess if you have to gain comfort in something, finding solace in the fact that the Cowboys didn't score against Central while the Bulldogs is as good as anything.

When the ship sinks, you cling to whatever flotsam is within reach, right?

Never mind that Hardin was down 21-0 after the first quarter while Miles City held Central to its lowest point total of the season. And never mind that the Cowboys allowed 7 points to a team (Sidney) that put up 45 against the Bulldogs.

Miles City's modern-day record for points differential is plus-50 (set last year against Livingston). Let's see if the Cowboys can top that. By halftime.
Posted by Brian Hubbell (+116) 11 years ago
Wow Brian that is funny. Almost as funny as when Hardins head coach said 2008 was a 4 horse race and MC was not included. When we blew his team out the boys raised 5 fingers in the air, Classic.
Posted by urijah (+135) 11 years ago
over by half, nuff said.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 11 years ago
End of the 1st. Cowboys 27 Hardin 0.

supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 11 years ago
Final anyone?
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 11 years ago
http://www.facebook.com/923fm

^Live game updates during the game, plus a record of all scores this season^

End of the Game! Cowboys Win 48 To 0. Goodnight Everybody! -Josh
This may be the first time I've ever been disappointed in a 48-0 win. Seriously, though - congratulations, Cowboys. The win clinches a playoff berth for you. This is the 23rd time Miles City has qualified for the postseason since 1980, matching Whitefish for the most appearances over that span.

Whitefish (1-7) will NOT be making a 24th trip to the playoffs this year.

The four divisional champions have pretty much been decided. Billings Central (East), Dillon (Southwest), Butte Central (Central) and Columbia Falls (Northwest) will get the first-round byes.

Unless, of course, Billings Central loses to Glendive and Sidney ... done laughing yet? Anyway, moving on ...

If Miles City beats Laurel, the Cowboys will host the loser between next week's game between Belgrade and Havre. The loser of the MC-Laurel game will travel to the winner of the Belgrade-Havre game.

Should the Cowboys win next week, they would only have to go on the road once (to face Columbia Falls). If Miles City wins out, they would host a semifinal game and the state championship (unless Billings Central also holds serve).

If Laurel wins, Miles City would be on the road until the championship game (unless, of course, Billings Central also makes the chipper).

Obviously, it would benefit the Cowboys greatly if they defeat Laurel next week. The Locomotives are a good team and should provide the Cowboys biggest challenge since the BC game. I am glad the game will be at Denton Field.

My early prediction is MC 20, Laurel 7.

Losing to the Rams earlier this season might not have been the worst thing that could have happened. The first-round bye would be nice, but Central is guaranteed only one home playoff game. A potential rematch against Butte Central (in Butte) looms in the semifinals.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1596) 11 years ago
Brian, looking at the Brackets, you are absolutely correct. Being number two is where it is at. I had this conversation Friday night with some Cowboys from old and they all suggested that number two is a better bracket than number one. The bottom Bracket will have Butte and Billings Central and possibly defending State champions Frenchtown and a solid Stevensville team, all in the same bracket.

Plus, if we made it far enough to play Dillon in the Semi it would be at home.
Posted by Slosh (+701) 11 years ago
an FYI, Dillon (7-0, 4-0) has not yet clinched the Southwest. They host Stevensville (6-2, 3-1) this Friday night.
I am going to go out on a limb and say that Dillon won't lose by 24 points. That's the only way they won't win the Southwest.