questions regarding a stubborn horse
Posted by ellie may (+470) 12 years ago
i have an albino mustang. stubborn as the day is long. has thrown every holter ever put on her. loves to go bye bye and will get in the trailer, comes when you call her name, likes to eat outa your hand and loves for you to stroke her face and talk to her. here's the dilemma: she is needing some vet care. she is flaring her nose, breathing hard. how do you holter her? anyone have a tranquelizer gun? what would be the best issue?
Posted by sloth (+67) 12 years ago
how about the vet making a house call
Posted by RA (+650) 12 years ago
Sloth....

Thanks for the chuckle!!!!
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 12 years ago
Sounds like the problem is keeping her still while the vet works on her, not getting her there. Think she would stand while they gave her a shot to knock her out?

I'd call the vet clinic and ask them what you should do. They probably have more experience than anyone with this sort of thing.
Posted by ellie may (+470) 12 years ago
the vet will make a house call. problem is getting a holter on her abnd keeping her inside the corral. she is a mustang and will jump the fence when threatened. i dont know if someone could get close enough to get a shot in her. i need a good roping cowboy/girl to help get er done.
Posted by Bill Bloom (-311) 12 years ago
I, will try emailing you, I may have something you and the vet could borrow.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 12 years ago
Apparently, Wendy isn't up on her horse gear.
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+286) 12 years ago
Thats funny Richard. I was thinking the same thing.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+598) 12 years ago
Hmmm... I was going to ask what a holter is. I know a little about horses, but this one stumped me.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6167) 12 years ago
I'm perfectly aware of what a halter is and how it's spelled. I didn't live in a cowtown for 20 years with my eyes closed. But as I've said before, if it looks like a simple typo I try to exhibit restraint . . . unless I can make something funny out of it.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+753) 12 years ago
Holter is a fun lake over by Helena.
Good luck with your mustang. We had one for years, couldn't do anything with it and not for lack of trying and spending lots of money at it. It was fun for a while, though.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+598) 12 years ago
OK here is a honest attempt to help. As far as putting the halter on the horse you will probably need help throw it, put it in a chute whatever. I am assuming the horse has learned if it throws itself against the halter it can break it or pull it off. If this is the case, put a throw rope (lariat) around the girth then thru the bottom eye on the halter tie it to a solid post. When she throws her self against the halter the rope will tighten around the girth, and she will step forward and be immediately be rewarded by the presure being released. I have used this on horses that you absolutely could not tie up works every time. Just a few times with this and the horse will stand tied quietely every time.
Posted by mngirl (+44) 12 years ago
That trick works great too for a horse who refuses to be trailered. Only a couple of times and they are willing to do anything.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1274) 12 years ago
Tell it "I don't want to have to fight you!"

Then punch it in the nose.

Worked for Tom Cruise in Far and Away.......