Really, really really??? (rant)
Posted by Smiley (+847) 11 years ago
What the hell is so wrong with you that drink when your pregnant? I mean smoking while pregnant is bad enough, then you want to smoke some marijuana? Oh, that wasn't enough for your child, so you add some liquor on top of it?? Do you want your child, who is already fathered by a drug dealer, to have an extra hard time? Do you just love caring for something so much that you make their decisions for them before they are born? Why are you receiving medicaid, food stamps, and wic for your child? That 25 dollars for liquor, 25 for weed, and 5 for cigarettes could go a long way so you'll stop begging for a crib, carseat, and other essential items. I may not be the best mom at times, so its probably no place for me to judge, but I'm worried for your unborn baby that might have some problems just from your choices. Your young, unmarried, and frankly stupid for deciding that your wants are more important now. Motherhood starts when you decide to have sex. You can't just run around and do what you want anymore. I hope that you start now, and turn it around. Everyone is watching, but if you can't make the right decisions for you and your child, I hope that child gets placed with a family that will. You don't know what the hell you are doing, and hope people stop enabling you.... then maybe you will step up and do it for yourself.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 11 years ago
You won't have to worry. If the mom is that uncaring about her unborn child's welfare, you can be pretty sure it won't change after birth. Someone else will step in then!
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+596) 11 years ago
Don't sugar coat it, tell her what you really think
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
Shouldn't this be in the Anger Management thread?
Oh, and whoever just called me, I was not talking about you and I know that for a fact. So wow, some people must just have pretty bad guilty feelings.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 11 years ago
Your young, unmarried, and frankly stupid for deciding that your wants are more important now.

SHOULD be: "You're" (Just thought you'd want that pointed out, as you pointed out Kim's errors in the Classifieds. )
supporter
Posted by Julie (+420) 11 years ago
Love you K. Duffy!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 11 years ago
Hmmm....my mom drank martinis when she was pregnant with me back in 1961, and I'm pretty sure I turned out all right....
(ducking for cover)
supporter
So THAT'S why you are a dry beefeater that is shaken, not stirred.
Thanks, I did miss the first one kduffy.

[This message has been edited by Smiley (10/6/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 11 years ago
I do what I want, beeeeyotch! I'm seventeen. I make my own decisions. My babies gonna love me. My mom drank and smoked when she had me and look at me! You're just jealous because I have all these boy friends! When I find out who the father is, he's gonna love me too!
So get off of your high horse beeyotch! When I get my GED I'm going to callage and getting my doctor degree, beeyotch. I'll be a rich doctor with a hot husband and a baby that loves me and you'll have nothing!

This is Bob Netherton. I felt, as is the tradition on milescity.com, that both sides of the argument needed to be presented in a fair and balanced nature.
Posted by Gymmie (+22) 11 years ago
I BET i can guess who you are talking about Smiley.
Gymmie, I was going to say it was someone in California, because IT IS, then I realized you were posting from there. Weird...
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 11 years ago
Hey Smiley. If you know the person's doctor a well placed bug in the ear might be a good idea. Her OB-GYN deserves to know that this is a high risk pregnancy.
Posted by Tina Bean (+415) 11 years ago
SMILEY

Just thought I would add that if you are going to throw stones maybe you should watch how you act with your own child in the MCC parking lot when you don't think anyone else is watching. And if it wasn't YOUR child I feel really bad for the mother of that child. I mean Im sorry you had to drop your food and all but the way you were screaming at that kid....I wouldn't have wanted to go with you either!!!

[This message has been edited by Tina Bean (10/7/2010)]
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+596) 11 years ago
I had been dealing with a temper tantrum for 45 minutes. You saw the last 2 minutes. I had to yell at her, she needs to understand that she has to hold mommy's hand to cross the street. Usually its not a problem, but that day it was. Kids have bad days, moms and dads have bad days. I'd like to see the comparison you are trying to draw.

Trying to protect my kid from getting hit by a car
Purposefully or neglectfully damaging my child before it is born. Hmmm.
supporter
Who deals with a temper tantrum for 45 minutes?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
So, you took up smoking AFTER your child was born? And never smoke anywhere near your child, because second hand smoke is nasty, nasty stuff. Right?

I support you, girl, but you shouldn't pop off a judgement when you aren't exactly standing on the moral high ground yourself.
Well, exactly. There is only so much time you can give your child to calm down in a public place sometimes. She was crying and kicking in the grass by the cafeteria for awhile before we had to leave. I just sat there and kept offering her hugs and chocolate milk when she was ready to calm down. Finally she did, so we started to leave we got to the parking lot and she wanted to act up again. That time, her safety was in jeopardy. Unless you'd let your 2 year old cross a parking lot by herself during lunch hour at a college, I think you can agree.

Oh well. This was about one of my close friends in California (well we were close)
Did everyone miss the "I'm not the best mom in the world so I probably shouldn't judge," comment? I know that I make mistakes and I'm not perfect.
Posted by CS Hunt (+328) 11 years ago
Smiley, I understand where you're coming from about concern for an unborn child, having just brought our 4th into the world on Tuesday the 5th at HRH.

I also understand how easy it is to missunderstand a situation someone "happens to come on" at the right time. Background and circumstance do play into action as much as impression. But it's easier to jump to conclusion sometimes. Lord knows I do it myself from time to time.

Now to the controversy, because I am curious to how circumstance and background plays out in everyone's child protection reaction.

1) How many of you believe it's the mother's obligation to not smoke, drink, or do drugs for the protection of the unborn child who can't defend him/herself.

2)Do you carryover this level of accountability to abortion? If not, what is your reasoning for it?

I'm not trying to judge, I'm trying to understand. I'm interested in the logic of the argument if there is a difference in your application of the standard given the circumstance of the situation.

Just so you know I don't support it, regardless. My wife said she would carry a child to term no matter what. If I was put in a position to have to choose her or the child, I don't know that I could. So this isn't a forced to choose scenario, this is an elective choice scenario. Like smoking, or drinking, or drugging...
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1670) 11 years ago
If I was put in a position to have to choose her or the child, I don't know that I could.

Whew. Statements like these make me thankful every day of my life that I married who I married.

If it is the mother choosing to risk her life over the life of an unborn child, so be it. But in your case, where you have four children already, it is not simply about the mother's choice anymore. If we are talking about being in a position to choose your wife over the child, remember, you are risking the well-being of not only your wife, but of your other four children as well. Is it fair to them for them to lose their mother, when we hear on a daily basis the importance of two-parent families, for the sake of an unborn child? Is the life of an unborn child more important that the life of the mother and the lives of existing children?

You have the right to your opinion and to live your life as you so choose, but, honestly.....wow!

[This message has been edited by Denise Selk (10/7/2010)]
I meant make the decision Denise.

I, by no means, think anyone's life is more important than anyone else's life. But by that token, nobody's life is any less important than someone else's life.

It's not a position I EVER want to be in. Because it's not a decision I want to make. As you point out, She not JUST my wife. She's my children's mother. But that unborn child isn't just my child. It's also hers. What mother wouldn't sacrifice herself for her child. What kind of remorse might she feel if I chose her over the child. What if, what if what if?

There is no circumstance where being forced to choose one over the other is going to be a cut and dry, right or wrong, black and white decision for me.

If I presented the decision that way, I apologize, it wasn't my intent.
supporter
What mother wouldn't sacrifice herself for her child.

I would not sacrifice my life and the lives of my three children for the life of an unborn child. If that makes me an awful mother to that unborn child, so be it. I happen to think, however, it makes me a pretty decent mother to the children I have already brought into the world.

Remorse after the fact? Absolutely. What life is led without remorse? But, it is remorse with which I could live. The other alternative is quite literally a choice with which I could not live, and a choice that would affect my three children, as well as my husband, for the rest of their lives.
I hope to not have 4 kids, but that's a more personal thing. I haVe one, and she's enough for me at this point
supporter
Denise always provides my point of view far more eloquently than I can.
supporter
Denise always provides my point of view far more eloquently than I can.

But you are the better sword dancer.
supporter
But you are the better sword dancer.

Don't be so sure. I also do a mean Seann Triubhas.
supporter
Never mind, I just get myself in trouble.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (10/7/2010)]
supporter
Good call, Richard.

Denise, I'm partial to the Sailor's Hornpipe myself.
supporter
To get this thread back on track... I am sure there has never been a pregnant woman who consumed an alcoholic beverage at a Caledonian function like Bobby Burns.
supporter
Never, though I'm sure the Bobby Burns celebration has been the catalyst for many a pregnancy in the first place.

Seriously though, I am sure Wendy is a much better Scottish dancer. My experience is limited to watching my daughter over the years and having her teach me the steps as she learns them. It has proven difficult to concentrate, however, with the guffawing from the peanut gallery.

[This message has been edited by Denise Selk (10/7/2010)]
supporter
I never drank during my pregnancy; that was easy.

I never consumed any caffeine during my pregnancy; that really sucked big- time.
Denise and Wendy,

Just to clarify, I think your point(s) are just as valid as any other including my own. They are only different from mine. I don't think in the scenario I presented there can be a single right or wrong answer. I would like to believe we would all choose the best answer we could given the circumstance we found ourselves in at the time. It doesn't make us any better or worse as a person, it just makes us human.

I hope that puts a lil' better light on my inquiry.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+797) 11 years ago
Gunnar, I am sure those martinis caused audtory processing problems. Thank you for not suing me. The moms

[This message has been edited by Elizabeth Emilsson (10/7/2010)]
supporter
The martinis certainly explain Gunnar's performance on the quiz.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+797) 11 years ago
Thank you, Wendy, for not correcting my spelling of auditory. When I type, I tend to drop letters in my spelling like the double r in "carrion". And my mother didn't drink when she was pregnant.
supporter
I try not to correct spelling when it's obviously just a typo and not an indication of illiteracy. You have nothing to fear. I wasn't correcting your "carrion" spelling either, at least not deliberately. The piece/peace pun was just too good to pass by.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (10/8/2010)]
Posted by Gm. Bonine (+85) 11 years ago
so what 'I' got from this RANT. . . the going rate for weed is $25?
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 11 years ago
so what 'I' got from this RANT. . . the going rate for weed is $25 dub five?