Pink Football
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14673) 10 years ago
Wonder how other see this. While I am very supportive (like a bras ) of the pink campaign for womens breast cancer, I really don't believe that the NFL is the place to promote social causes. I think such activity leads to the continued wussification of our country. Why not donate all the money spend on pink accessorizing to the cause?

What say you?

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (10/5/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3717) 10 years ago
I don't think wearing pink makes you a wuss, and I think you should probably not suggest that to most of the NFL players that are doing it. On the other hand I kind of question the effectiveness of the "color" campaigns. Nothing is easier than putting on a pink ribbon and showing the world that you don't like breast cancer (unlike all those people who are pro-cancer?) but does it accomplish anything? Raising awareness is a good thing I suppose, and football players are more effective at this than most people would be. When I see normal people wearing pink though I sort of question what they are accomplishing and whether it's a substitute for doing something that would actually help (like raising or donating money for research).
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 10 years ago
Raising awareness is one of the best things that you can do to decrease cancer deaths. Early detection of cancer has a major effect on your outcome so the more aware you are the more likely you are to do the things that help you detect cancer early. This is especially true of breast and colon. Sure, we'd love to have a treatment that would cure even the most advanced-stage cancer but wouldn't it be better if no one ever got to that stage in the first place?

p.s. People who worry about pink footballs need to "man up".

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (10/5/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1430) 10 years ago
Here's an irony I found...

The announcer said that last year they raised $300k for the cause.

NFL? Massive media exposure?? ONLY $300k?

...some of those guys spend more than that in a month at the strip clubs.
supporter
Posted by Emilie Boyles (+250) 10 years ago
At the annual Ladies Day out sponsored by a hospital in another town I heard a doctor talk about breast cancer risks. One of the things she spoke about is that men can develop breast cancer. That being the case, the NFL is a great place to bring more awareness.

If you're interested, here's a link to some information about male breast cancer:

http://www.care2.com/gre...omen.html
Posted by Barbara J Ashley (+39) 10 years ago
Men need to realize that this in not only a female disease----My brother is a breast cancer survivor.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+511) 10 years ago
The whole point of turning the NFL pink was to encourage people to get the necessary screenings, not to raise money. If the whole thing saved only one life it was more than worth it.
Posted by JJC (+82) 10 years ago
I know for a fact that a woman (or man) that is diagnosed with breast cancer is a hell of a lot stronger than any NFL player! I also believe the many players and coaches that have wives, mothers, sisters, and daughters that have gone through breast cancer treatment feel that they are honoring those loved ones by wearing pink.

My son's little league baseball team wore pink shoelaces last spring to show me support while I was going through treatment. Not one of those boys were ever put down because of it, and other teams joined in. No, I can't say that the pink laces saved my life, but it made me feel like "maybe I CAN get through this."

And, if you're so offended Mr. Bonine, why don't you write to the NFL commissioner and ask them to support prostate cancer awareness instead. Maybe it will help remind you and other macho men to go get your prostate checked yearly.
Posted by Mandi (+356) 10 years ago
JJC You go girl! It takes a real man to wear pink!!!!!!!!!!!!
supporter
I know for a fact that a woman (or man) that is diagnosed with breast cancer is a hell of a lot stronger than any NFL player! I also believe the many players and coaches that have wives, mothers, sisters, and daughters that have gone through breast cancer treatment feel that they are honoring those loved ones by wearing pink.

My son's little league baseball team wore pink shoelaces last spring to show me support while I was going through treatment. Not one of those boys were ever put down because of it, and other teams joined in. No, I can't say that the pink laces saved my life, but it made me feel like "maybe I CAN get through this."

And, if you're so offended Mr. Bonine, why don't you write to the NFL commissioner and ask them to support prostate cancer awareness instead. Maybe it will help remind you and other macho men to go get your prostate checked yearly.

You'd have to be living under a rock not to be aware of the horrific disease of breast cancer. Yes, those who have survived the disease (for now, we all die of something) are very tough people. There are numerous ways to raise awareness. As I said above, I am very supportive of the cause. The most expensive shirt I own is a pink wrangler shirt where part of the proceeds went to support the cause.

That said, when I sit down to watch the Broncos (who should be the poster children for the pain reducing effects of medical marijuana) I'd really prefer not to be made aware of anything but those elements that make a great football game. I would prefer that the NFL not use game time and team uniform color schemes to support any cause. There are plenty of other ways the NFL could show support. On the field the NFL should be about football, not about other political or social causes.

And while I am at it, how are women who have had a mastectomy "honored" by having dance squads of well-endowed young women on the field "stirring the milk"? Seems a little insulting, offensive, hypocritical, and ironic if you ask me.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (10/6/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3717) 10 years ago
Sort of interesting, in the last month or two I have heard two stories on NPR with doctors that felt that we have been overreacting to cancer in some cases lately. The first guy claimed that like 80% of prostate cancer never will never become life threatening but lots of surgeons just instantly remove the prostate when cancer is detected leaving the guy with likely loss of sexual function and urinary incontinence, in many cases for no reason. The second was a discussion of health care and how mammograms are felt by some to be a waste of money in younger women and how early detection is not as important as they used to think it was. Not really what you expect to hear but it sort of makes me feel like they might be starting to turn the corner on cancer.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1664) 10 years ago
I think such activity leads to the continued wussification of our country.

Unlike, NASCAR, of course, which is only thought to lead to the redneckification/Tea Partification of America.
supporter
Wendy establish many moons ago that NASCAR guys in fire suits are girly men.

http://milescity.com/foru...2405#73260

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (10/6/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 10 years ago
I'm glad you're paying attention, Richard.
Posted by JJC (+82) 10 years ago
Four thoughts came to mind as I was reading the replies after mine:
1) Thank you Mandi!
2) Flaunt 'em if you got 'em. They may try to kill you someday.
3) Keep the tumorous prostate if you want, but many men would prefer to not keep the source of cancerous stem cells inside their bodies.
4) I got cancer in my 30's, so yes, young women get it too. Thank god I didn't put my mammogram off any longer, or my kids may have had to deal with a dead mother instead of a bald one.
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+824) 10 years ago
One in eight women will develop breast cancer. So the next time you are out with a group of girlfriends, please encourage them to get mammograms. A mammogram saved my life.
Posted by Skye W (+18) 10 years ago
Im not really understanding how it would "offend" you, Richard, to be watching the Broncos, who are my favorite football team, and see that they are raising awareness to a cause. AND as you said your pink shirt was expensive because part of the money went to breast cancer, so dont you think that some of the money it took for them to wear this stuff went to the cause? and why would anyone bash the face that they raised 300k, i would think that raising any amount of money is enough for it to be a good thing, and further more like many other have said, if there is maybe ONE woman who is sitting watching football with her husband and she decides that it might be a good idea to go get checked and she survives because of it?! then I think it is way worth it to see some pretty pink on those good looking football players!
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1430) 10 years ago
Skye... I didn't bash the fact they raised 300k.

I said there's an "irony."

Feel free to read, re-read, and comprehend if it helps understand better.