Recreating?
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+890) 11 years ago
I have seen people posting about finding places to recreate around Miles City. And wanted opinions about an idea...

I have 3 hunting cabins that I rent out during hunting season, our ranch is under Block Management hunting, so anyone can hunt here, they just have to make reservations so that the place isn't over run with hunters. I get a nice mix of in state and out of state hunters, although with the antelope numbers being down so much, many hunters have not drawn tags, leaving my cabins empty.

You do not have to rent a cabin to hunt here, but being 45 miles from Miles City, having a housing option here is nice for many folks that travel far to hunt in Eastern Montana.

I am just thinking, with so many people that want a place to recreate, and I have cabins and miles and miles of trails...would people be interested in renting a cabin for the weekend and bringing their families out to hike, bike, 4-wheel, ride motorcycles, and drive their atv's?

The cabin is nestled in the beautiful gumbo hills of Eastern Montana. It is a cute one room cabin with bunk beds and a sleeping loft. It has a small kitchen with a stove and refridgerator, running water with hot water and a shower, propane lights (because there is no electricity there) and a state of the art outhouse. What would a weekend of driving trails in a Eastern Montana cabin be worth to people?

I want to know what people think, to see if it would be worth persuing. Thank you!
Posted by Mindy B (+76) 11 years ago
I think it sounds like a good idea. The only problem I would see is if the ATVs, motorcycles, ect would scare the game away or annoy the hunters. If you get that worked out I think it would be fine.
supporter
I should have explained better. I would not want people wondering up and down the trails with hunters around them. Our hunting is walk in only for that reason. I am talking about before or after hunting season...

Oh, and I forgot to mention snowmobiles too... If it snows enough.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 11 years ago
This thread is so much funnier if you drop the re- and replace it with a pro-...
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 11 years ago
Can you provide a legal description, Twp,Rng,Sec so we can look you up. MIght help people make a better decision.
Posted by Lisa McRae (+33) 11 years ago
If you decide to do this, call and give us the details. We own the KOA here in Miles City. We can pass the information on to people who call us about our cabins. There are people looking to do just what you described in your posting. If you do decide to pursue this idea, you should develop some type of brochure to give to the Chamber of Commerce. They could mail it to people inquiring about this type of recreation in our area. It sounds like you have everything in place, you would just need to advertise.
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2649) 11 years ago
Sounds like a great idea!! Just what we need around here. When you say miles of trails just how many miles are you talking about?
It's Lisa from the KOA again. Talking about recreation in the Miles City area, does anyone know of a place where we could hook our campers up with horseback riding? We get inquiries about that every camping season and I don't know of a place. Also, if someone, say a school teacher, who has the summer off would ever think about starting up a little canoeing business, we would like to work with them. The person could take the people out to the 12 mile damn, drop them off, and they could canoe to the campground. Just something to think about. If anybody has any thoughts let me know. Thanks.
supporter
Lisa, Thank you. I have tried to make brochures, for some reason The Star can't open the files and I can't get them printed. I am still working on it, and will definitely keep you updated! Thank you.

Richard, I do not know T-R-S, I have a few photos of the cabins on my blog...I will be putting up more photos and adding to it as time allows, right now, it's a work in progress...

http://www.klandl.blogspot.com

The pasture land of the ranch is approx 38,000 acres with trails winding through everywhere... I feel you could spend more than a weekend, and not see something twice, unless you drove really fast and didn't stop to enjoy the scenery.

How much would you pay for say a day pass? Weekend pass? Cabin with trail riding privlages?
Our cabins rent for $45 a night based on two people. That's just a cabin with use of our restrooms/showers. Also, they have to furnish their own bedding. You would want to include that in your advertising, if they need to bring their own bedding or if you're going to supply it. You could have different levels of pricing. I don't know if you're going to rent the ATV's or if they bring their own. You could rent cabin stay only, cabin stay with trail usage, cabin stay with ATV rental, etc. Also, remember to check into insurance. Go out to other websites that offer this type of service and look at their pricing.
P.S. Be sure to checkout what type of license you may need. You would probably have to charge lodging tax which is 7%.
supporter
Posted by annie221 (+251) 11 years ago
Would you place be available for riding horses?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 11 years ago
Never mind. I figured out who you are, where you live, and why you would have 38,000 acres in block management and not know the legal description.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (10/4/2010)]
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+591) 11 years ago
Ok Richard I am curious, I waited all morning thinking someone else would ask.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 11 years ago
This is probably the most well known atv trail ride in the country.

http://www.trailsheaven.com/default.aspx

A company leases the land from private landowners and they welcome riders with open arms. They are all making good money. They take trails off line and add new trails and repair trails being used. Trail rotation helps the environment and wild life. Plus it gives you a new look every time you ride.