supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 16 years ago
I find it ironic that President Bush is starting an alternative fuels initiative with switchgrass as the center-piece. What is funny to me about this is that the genus of switchgrass is "Panicum"

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 2/2/2006).]
Posted by Russell Bonine (+241) 16 years ago
I think you're on to something here. It looks like this could be the answer to Miles City becoming the economic hub.

Somebody start a rumor that the president is going to fund a research project for a "northern variety" of this grass that is to be carried out at Fort Keogh.

Then start talk about how a new paper mill will be built and a couple of the old pellet mills will be refurbished to help supply the home heating market. A contract with the Tongue River Railroad will be sought to haul everything south. If all goes well this should provide another 25 years of economic growth for Miles City.
supporter
One of the area's of research will need to be on finding an organism that can efficiently break down bundled-sheath cells. The ADF (acid detergent fiber) and NDF (Neutral Detergent Fiber) in this species are kind of high. If they can lower those fiber levels, it will ultimately make more alcohol.

Ft Keogh is the right place to do this kind of research. When I worked there in the summer of '79, they had a grass that was a cross between Bluebunch Wheatgrass and Quackgrass. I helped do grazing studies to see which "varieties" were most palatable.

If they can get this off the ground MC is sure to become an economic hub.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 2/2/2006).]
Posted by Cheryl Thompson (+61) 16 years ago
GRASS RESEARCH

[This message has been edited by Cheryl Thompson (edited 2/2/2006).]
supporter
Ft. Keogh is well-known for their research on grass and range management. When you come to visit, you should check out this fine facility.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1505) 16 years ago
Hi Richard, Most of the NGP research on switchgrass for biofuels has been conducted at Mandan, ND in conjunction with ARS researchers from Lincoln, NE. That hybrid you worked with was released as NewHy and has done very well in place of tall wheatgrass on some sites. Hope your reclamation work is going well. Tell your dad hello for me.

Marshall
supporter
Let me put this another way: do we really want to say our energy policy is based on "Panicum".
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+283) 16 years ago
You mean it's not that way right now?!?
Posted by Russell Bonine (+241) 16 years ago
With the president being so innovative in his energy policy I think you should start referring to him as the "Sage Bush" Of course a sudden change in your term of endearment might just "panic..um"

Maybe you could get special dispensations for recommending the planting of Switchgrass in your reclamation work.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 16 years ago
My question is why we are so focused on finding some super-efficient grass to create fuel from when it can all be refined and though possibly not as efficient as gasoline, still usable? At what point do we give up a little power in our engine or $ to our own (Ft. Keough) so we don't have to spend money in the Middle East?
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 16 years ago
P.S. If you any of you have diesel engines, you should look into the veggie-oil setup. I think you can get the whole purifier in the vehicle and actually put the nasty crap from McDonald's right in. This is big truck country.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10040) 16 years ago
It looks like "panic-um" is already being replaced by "oopsium" and "spin-doctorium":

Administration Backs Off Bush's Vow To Reduce Mideast Oil Imports
By Kevin G. Hall
KNIGHT RIDDER NEWSPAPERS
http://www.realcities.com...ton_nation
Posted by Cheryl Thompson (+61) 16 years ago
BUSH GRASS RESEARCH