John Chinnick
Posted by Bonnie Glasman (+7) 18 years ago
We have just received our Chinnick family bible with information about our uncle John Chinnick's death in 1883 in Miles City Montana. Thank you for info about his life and death on website. If anyone else has any other info about John and his wife can you please submit.
Thanks
Bonnie Chinnick Glasman

[This message has been edited by Bonnie Glasman (edited 6/27/2003).]
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+116) 14 years ago
Dear Bonnie,

Do you, or anyone else, possibly have the birth date (year) for John Chinnick?

Thanks, Kenny
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1226) 14 years ago
Kenny, according to THE LAST WEST Chinnick was born in Chatham Canada in 1850. Ike
supporter
Bonnie, There is much information on John in the Book THE LAST WEST including the fact that his wife shot him perhaps by accident and he died in 1883. Ike
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+116) 14 years ago
Thanks Ike,

Right after putting up the query I suddenly remembered having the 1880 Miles City Census about four feet away. But now we've got another problem - it differs from the Hoopes info:

John Shinnick b. 1845 England
Iola Shinnick b. 1840 Ohio

Maybe the census taker (none other than Tom Irvine)got his notes transposed in regards John's birth year and that of his significant other. The cencus said he was "single." LOL!

Kenny
supporter
Kenny, Wonder who is correct,the census or wherever Hoopes got that date and place? Hoopes also says that the wife's name was Nell but by 1885 was known as Iola Lilly. Also notes that they were married 4 years 8 months and 3 days. That she helped in running the saloons would make her not a homebody. Of interest the 1882 city Directory duz not have them listed.. Ike
Posted by Ben Hughes (+21) 14 years ago
CHINICK, MABEL : F : 17 : 2 Nov 1907 : 05-0048 : Contact Office of Vital Statistics, Helena, MT for County

No Chinnick listed in the State death index prior to 1900.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~...ecords.htm
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+586) 14 years ago
Bonnie,
I found 5 newpaper articles with mention of him- I would be happy to send them to you.

In brief-
1883-5-1 Helena Independent
Indictments of county officials- defrauding county- John Chinnick name on list- he indicted for unlawful detention of books.

1883-7-27 Helena Independent
John Chinnick shot through bowels by Winchester rifle. Various rumors- he says he shot himself accidently- others say his wife did it- others say gang shot him. He was leasee of Cosmopolitan theatre which burned to ground last Sunday morning.

1883-7-29 Helena Independent
Headline-Miles City Reign of Terror-
fire, lynching of Rigney, shooting of John Chinnick- mystery surrounding shooting- 3 rumors- suicide, jealous wife, vigilantes fearing him turning traitor- Vigilance committeee order number of people to leave town- roughs organized and ordered Vigilance committee to leave- determined citizens organized to save town- mob dispersed & town was quiet.

1883-8-24 Bismarck Tribune
John Chinnick late proprietor of Cosmopolitan theater Miles City, who was accidently shot at time of big fire & hanging of Bill Rigney, died Tuesday afternoon.

1884-3-16 Helena Independent
Calvin H. Lille and Mrs. Iola Chinnick of Miles City, were married few days ago. Bride is widow of John Chinnick who died last fall from effects of pistol wound about which there was some mystery at time.
Posted by Bonnie Chinnick Glasman (+13) 11 years ago
Belated thanks for your response to my question on the Miles City website. We have changed our email address and I had not checked back with the website for a long time.
Do you still have access to the articles?
Bonnie
John Chinnick's birthplace was Chatham Ontario. I do not have the bible here to note the year he was born in.
Bonnie
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+586) 11 years ago
Bonnie,
My work area is admittedly a mess but I do periodically muck it out. So I'm afraid I have dumped those print outs from 2007.
You can subscribe for a month for a small fee to a newspaper archive. The search engines on it are very ineffectual but since it looks like I noted the newspaper & date - it should be a cake walk. Look at "browse" newspapers, pick the paper & date, then search it. The subscription would then let you poke around some more for other people & events. ($12 for a month & looks like they are running a 7 day free trial)

http://www.newspaperarchi...emium.aspx

The Montana Historical Society will also copy old issues of Montana papers, but they wouldn't have the Bismarck issues.

http://www.montanahistori...quests.asp
Thank you for your reply. This is a good info to have.
Bonnie
founder
Posted by Kenny Vail (+116) 11 years ago
I wonder what is the source for Chatham Ontario.

The 1880 Census for Miles City lists,
John Shinnick age 35 - born England - father England - mother Ireland
Iola Shinnick age 40 - b. Ohio - father Ireland - mother Ireland

I assume its John's older brother on the Census for Missouri River Valley, Meagher County:

Thomas Shinnick 49 - Farmer - b. Ireland - father & miother Ireland
Margaret Shinnick 40 - Ireland
There were five children.
Posted by Bonnie Chinnick Glasman (+13) 10 years ago
The reference for Chatham, Ontario is a newspaper article from newspaper there saying that family members had been notified of his death in Miles City, Montana.