Stupid Drivers!
Posted by Meri (+135) 11 years ago
To the IDIOT...In the White older minivan this evening that cut out in front of me turning from main onto Winchester ..... I almost T-boned you! What the hell were you thinking? I came within inches if hitting you! You turned without even looking! You put yourself and your passengers and my whole family at risk! You are an Idiot! Oh and to add to it how about all those tires that come rolling out of the back end of your unclosed trunk that landed in front of me and other oncoming traffic! Learn how to drive! You could have caused a very bad accident!
My only regret is that I was too shook up to go back around the block and get your damn plate number and turn you dumb ass in!
Posted by Bruce Helland (+593) 11 years ago
Try riding a motorcycle in this town..... You learn to be very defensive. Welcome to my world
Posted by Josh Rath (+2312) 11 years ago
As my dad taught me all my life. Not only do you need to drive for yourself, you must drive for everyone else.
Posted by RA (+643) 11 years ago
Try driving a loaded semi through Miles City on the Truck Route!! You would be shocked at the drivers - young & older - that try to cut off a semi, turn right in front of a semi, etc......it doesn't take a LOT of brain power to know that a semi CANNOT 'stop on a dime' or maneuver like a Volkswagen Beetle.

Disclaimer: I also realize that not every semi driver is a good driver; however, a lot of them are good drivers!
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 11 years ago
It's definitely a Miles City thing to just pull out in front of people and assume that they're going to hit the brakes for you. Many years ago I was out on the road by the Cenex seed plant when the speed limit was 65 or something somebody pulled out *right* in front of me doing about 15 mph when I was doing 60. I had to go around them with 2 wheels in the ditch. I hope that they realized how close they came to killing themselves and me cause man was I mad.

Of course it's worst on Haynes, but that's a little more understandable since Haynes desperately needs a couple more stoplights.
Posted by athome (+359) 11 years ago
What I can't believe is how many people don't even bother to slow
down at the intersections with no signs. They are all over town and very vew people even bother looking when they get to the intersection. It's as though they just assume they have the right of way and plow right through. If I hadn't been paying attention and stopped even though I had the right of way, I would have been in no less that 30 accidents. That I just don't get. It seems to me that common sense would prevail. The reality is, we may just be running significantly short of that.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Matt Smith (+789) 11 years ago
I am amazed at the amount of people who run the stop sign here on main by the underpass.

Several each day.
Some local, some not.
supporter
Posted by Bill Zook (+492) 11 years ago
This is a 'pet' issue with me. So many drivers in MC seem to think we are equivalent to a small town like Rosebud or Plevna or Ekalaka when in fact we produce more traffic than anywhere else between here and Billings. If I hadn't known some of the drivers ed teachers, I'd have sworn they didn't teach much, especially courtesy. It does seem like more drivers approach traffic from an excessively aggresive viewpoint. Even some of our policemen neglect to signal a lane change prepatory to turning a corner. I do not hold myself above any other drivers but I do know better. "I'm just in a hurry."

But we do find the occassional courteous drivers who will pause for pedestrians to cross the streets. I don't see that in most other towns I go through. It seems simple courtesy could make things so much easier.
Posted by Kroberts (+30) 11 years ago
I almost started my own thread last Friday!! I was turning left to the Airport Inn when the pickup behind me started PASSING me, with oncoming traffic! I pulled to the right as much as I could, and the vehicle coming from the opposite direction slammed on the brakes and swerved to avoid the head on collision. There were some very long skid marks and the smell of rubber was very strong. The passing pickup truck 'gunned it' and took off. I was so shook up, I pulled into the Airport Inn parking lot and sat for a minute. I wished I had taken off and gotten the plate number, but I didn't.
supporter
Posted by Steve Z (+995) 11 years ago
Everybody makes a mistake. Even the best drivers sometimes pull out in front of someone. A car gets caught briefly in a blind spot, a driver forgot to look to the right again (remember right, left and right again from drivers ed) what ever the problem mistakes are made. The key is to understand that you just made a mistake and take the best course of action to correct it. The brake pedal is not always the best answer. Sometimes you need to plant you foot firmly on the little pedal on the right and get the hell out of the way. I drive a big rig weighing 116,000 pounds. Even though I have lots of tires it still takes a lot to stop that kind of momentum. If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of making a mistake, do the courtious thing and get out of the way. My two cents.
Posted by ocne (+472) 11 years ago
Oooh! I have been waiting for a post like this! I know EXACTLY what you are saying!
I live in the vicinity of Riverside Park. The other day I was backing out of my driveway around lunchtime, and a big blue Dodge pickup literally came squealing around the corner up the street and nearly t-boned me. Then instead of letting me pull back in so they could go by or stopping and letting me finish backing out, they just continued around me like a bat out of hell. Had I not cared about looking like as big of an a-hole as they did, I would have chased them down, got their plate # and reported them. It was totally ridiculous to drive like that! Where do you have to be in that big of a hurry that it justifies driving like that?

And while we're on the subject, the high school football players must be really glad to leave practice each day because they all drive like its the Daytona 500 through the neighborhoods surrounding the practice field. Believe me, they go zooming by my house. There is no need to floorboard it down any of those streets! They are still residential areas with kids and pets running around and a lot of people walk in the area. SLOW DOWN!!!!
Any why people have to fly across the gravel area at the end of the Oasis and/or stop there and spin cookies is beyond me. None of us in the area enjoy the flying gravel and dust that you generate by doing that. I'd hope you don't drive that way on an actual gravel road, so why is it necessary to drive like that there? Once again, its still a residential area. KNOCK IT OFF!
Someone is going to get hurt or there's going to be an accident if people don't start using some common sense in their driving...
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 11 years ago
ocne,

Contact the football coach and let him know that his players are doing this. He will give them a stern lecture. Also since you know when and where this commotion happens each day, contact the police and ask them to monitor the area a few times. A few players getting a ticket and being yelled at by coach should solve the problem.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2751) 11 years ago
(remember right, left and right again from drivers ed)

Actually, it is "left, right, left."
Posted by CS Hunt (+323) 11 years ago
I've noticed that the worst drivers are always in the Walmart parking lot. It's Walmart, people! It's not going anywhere!
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1291) 11 years ago
MOM?
Posted by ellie may (+475) 11 years ago
alot of people do not realize that thier actions affect others and sometimes in a huge way. alot of people do not stop and think, " i wonder what happens if i cut off that car or semi," "will they ahve to swerve to miss me and possibly give thier life to save mine becasue of my carelessness?"
Posted by ron h (+58) 11 years ago
Dude if you do'nt like my driving;get off the sidewalk !
Posted by Mandi (+358) 11 years ago
I have been cut-off by school buses more times than I can count in Miles City. Save your children's lives! Do not let them ride a school bus! They would probably be safer jay-walking across Main or Haynes.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1912) 11 years ago
Sorry, man. I was drunk.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17551) 11 years ago
Chuck Schott wrote:
MOM?

I know what you mean, brother, but Mom hasn't driven a white minivan for 3 or 4 years. She drives a green minivan now.
Posted by pene (+71) 11 years ago
UMMMM NO !! I was cuurently involved in a accident, and the driver who hit us was going really fast, hit the car on my side, and i got SERIOUSLY HURT!! and the kicker is it couldve all been avioded, poele need to slow the hell down, and stay off the damn cell phones!!!

[This message has been edited by pene (9/10/2010)]
Posted by danny rogers (+39) 11 years ago
i think if anyone is to blame it might be that the actual driving test for average people (those who drive cars or pick-ups) should possibly be a little stricter and maybe people should have to retake both tests when they renew their license maybe then they would remember basic rules of the road
Posted by Steve Allison (+976) 11 years ago
We have all had other people do stupid things driving that cause us to slam on brakes, blow our horns or even hit them or someone else. We have all also done things that cause others the same problems. When you are in the first category, stop and calm yourself, the more upset one gets the more likely you are to be in the second category real soon. When in the second situation use it as a wake up call and refocus yourself on the driving task at hand. None of us are divine drivers but putting close calls quickly behind us can at least bring us a bit closer to that goal.
Posted by Meri (+135) 11 years ago
Thanks for sharing! I am not as pissed off anymore, but every time I see an older white mini van I find myself wondering is that the idiot that almost hit me! This has made me an even more cautious driver, and I am trying to avoid main when it is busy and use alternative routs such as Comstock or Tompy or Stower!
Posted by SS66 (+441) 11 years ago
Yeaaaah, I come from a congested midwest city and I can honestly say I feel safer on my cycle there! I only rode in MC here and there for two months last summer and nearly got taken out two different times. How hard is it to see a 220lb guy on a 600lb bike?
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1291) 11 years ago
Dave I know, I think the MOM was more a generic "MOM" than a slight at our poor, gray haired, sainted Mother.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 11 years ago
Where I live there is a massive construction effort being made. The traffic lanes change almost weekly. As a result people often are confused and sometimes drive into the oncoming traffic lane thinking it is a left-turn lane. I try to give them some slack but it can be frustrating. The signs are pretty clear and if there's no oncoming lane to the left of you, you should figure out pretty quick that you are goofed up.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10045) 11 years ago
Yeah . . . traffic is getting bad here too. A 4x4 drove down the trail the other day.
supporter
Posted by Steve Z (+995) 11 years ago
Kelly,
I stand corrected, it is left right and left again (in drivers ed). I have found however, through my many hundreds of thousands of accident free miles, that it is better to look the other way (right left then right again)because vehicles are more likely to be in your blind spot and therefore not noticed on the right. You are more likely to pull out in front of someone on your right than on your left. The resulting accident would then be your fault for not yielding to the driver on the right.