Superbowl Time...
Posted by Sod Buster (+101) 16 years ago
...alright folks...enough of this half cocked ranting and raving about things that aren't really happening....the Superbowl is happening this weekend and it's time to let us know who you think will win...if for no other reason than to say "I told you so" on Monday.

THe Sod Buster's Prediction;

Steelers 28
Seahawks 17
Posted by gypsykim (+1562) 16 years ago
I think it will be closer than that.
Steelers--21
Seahawks--17
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 16 years ago
Steelers 32
Seabirds 6
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+283) 16 years ago
Seattle by 3
Posted by Slosh (+696) 16 years ago
Bettis runs in a two-yard touchdown as time expires. Much like Leinart against Notre Dame. (Sorry to bring it up again.)

Steelers 23, Seahawks 21
Posted by Cheryl Thompson (+61) 16 years ago
Steelers 17-0 at the half. I never make it past that, thanks to good drinks at the superbowl party.....
Posted by Jared Bankey (+66) 16 years ago
First quarter mishaps out the way and the game is a tight one.
Steelers-20
Seahawks-14
Posted by Bill Gierke (+86) 16 years ago
Seahawks 24
Steelers 14
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 16 years ago
SeaChickens 31
Steelers 24
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1291) 16 years ago
OK! I guess it's time to pick, this one is for the Seattle Schott's.
Seattle.............34
Pittsburgh..........28

Go Hawks
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 16 years ago
Steelers 28
Hawks 19
Posted by RT&JenBo9 (+50) 16 years ago
Cant wait for Sunday, then Football will be over and Seattle will shut up about their seachickens and 12th man after they lose. Who really cares anyway, 17 days till Daytona!!
supporter
I was just thinking that a football team owned by one of the founders of MSFT gives a whole new meaning to words and phrases like, reboot, hard-drive, floppy-drive, General Fault Protection error, plug and play, plug and pray, and my favorite the blue screen of death.
Posted by Gary Bonine (+91) 16 years ago
i wouldnt be suprised if this game went into OT.
Pittsburg 20
Seattle 17

i gotta say though im actually more excited about the probowl
(yay AFC)
Posted by Heath H (+647) 16 years ago
Seattle by 17
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3704) 16 years ago
Someone will streak.
supporter
Here's what I've got tonight:
--- Steelers (-4)
--- Over 46.5 points
--- Mo Morris rushing yards (+78) over S. Alexander
--- Heath Miller scores 1st TD (10-1)
--- Coin Flip - Heads

It could be an ugly day...
supporter
Not to worry Bob. If it all goes south for you, you can alway contact Roni Deutch.

*Richard

*(no circuitous family references were used in the posting of this message. )

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 2/5/2006).]
supporter

It will be more likely I'll need a good orthopedic surgeon because my "investment advisor" breaks my kneecap.
supporter
*(no circuitous family references were used in the posting of this message. )

Wouldn't that be "gratuitous?"

Or am I drunk already?
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4458) 16 years ago
Was it just me, or was that some of the piss-poorest officiating ever seen in a Super Bowl?

I didn't really have a stake in the game at all, but I think the line judge was wearing a Steelers cap.

First a phantom touchdown. Then a phantom holding call negating a first-and-goal on the 1. Then a "low block" call on the quarterback trying to make a tackle during a pick return? Who exactly would Hasselbeck have been trying to block?

I didn't mind seeing the Steelers win one, but I really hate to see what should have been a good game go down like that. The refs need to learn how to get out of the way during a big game.
supporter
The officiating was bad. Hate to see the game decided by the zebra's.

Richard*

*(no circuitous family references were used in the posting of this message )
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 16 years ago
Rick, I agree the push off call on the offensive player was a push off however I did not think it that bad.

The phantom touchdown at full speed anyone would have said touchdown. On replay however, it was not a touchdown. That "zebra is a jackass".

The low block on the QB was a perplexing call. First off all after the interception the QB is now a defensive player?? how can he be making a block? He was simply trying to make the tackle and did. Nonetheless the interception would stand and all my complaints aside it was still the Steeler's game. They played well and deserved to win. But the zebras looked like crap.

Brady Stone
supporter
Posted by John Morford (+349) 16 years ago
Even a defensive player cannot make a cut block - i.e. trying to break up a wedge or etc. That's what the call was by the referee. I still don't agree with the call because it appeared to me that he was trying to make the tackle and simply missed and ended up hitting the wrong guy. It wasn't intentional but maybe that wouldn't matter anyway.
Posted by RT&JenBo9 (+50) 16 years ago
What a sham! The zebra's were definatly wearing yellow and black under their pinstripes and the commmercials (ok, there were a few good ones) almost put me to sleep. And what was up with the half-time show? I understand that they didn't want another J. Jackson slip-up but who really wants to watch a bunch of over-the-hill has-beens prance around the stage? The game? The pushoff in the end zone-please, it was defensive interference at the goal line and the steeler wasn't even a contender to catch that pass. (Add 7 Hawks) Breaking the plane of the goal- close but no cigar. (Minus 7 Steelers) The "Cut" block from #8, it used to be that a good dive at the legs and a shoestring tackle was talent. My final score:Seahawks 17, Steelers 14. Just glad that its over so they will have something else on the news here in the Great Northwest and it just means that there is 13 days until Daytona. 800+ horsepower, you cant go wrong.
Posted by Sod Buster (+101) 16 years ago
Being neither a Seahawk or a Steeler fan...I agree with those of you who think the game was rigged...I'm sorry, but everytime the Seahawks did something good...here comes a flag. It was a horrible game to watch. It goes to show that college football is better. Compare this year's superbowl to the NCAA Div. IA Championship this year and you tell me which was more exciting to watch.
Posted by Jared Bankey (+66) 16 years ago
The game came down poor game management by the Seahawks....What happened to Jackson after the first? Special teams for the Seahawks was pi$$ poor, by the kickers (punter/place kicker).....Kick the ball! The worst call was the phantom holding call....Give me a break!!!!

The Steelers deserved the game.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 16 years ago
Giving Seattle The Needle

By Rick Reilly with Sports Illustrated

Okay, Seattle, grab a grande, skinny, no-foam, half-caf Espresso Macchiato and let me explain why the Pittsburgh Steelers are going to grind you up like a Sumatra blend in Super Bowl XL.

You suck at sports.

You always have. You make nice motherboards, but you're dweebier than Frasier Crane's wine club. You've had the big three pro sports for 30 years now -- almost 40 for the NBA -- and you have one lousy championship to show for it. *Uno*. The 1978 Seattle SuperSonics. My God, you people have fewer parades than Venice.

What's amazing is, you do college sports even worse. In the 70 years that a mythical national championship has been awarded in college football, the University of Washington has one half of one title: in 1991 (with Miami).

Zippo in basketball, baseball, track or field. O.K., the Huskies are good at crew (three women's titles, one men's). Wonderful. Somewhere, three salmon cheer.

Your most famous athlete is a horse, Seattle Slew. Your most famous athletic moment was Bo Jackson's turning the Boz's chest into a welcome mat on *Monday Night Football*. Your greatest contribution to sports was the Wave, the fan-participation stunt that screams to the world, "We have no idea what the score is!"

And do you know why you stink, Seattle? Because ...

1. You're too damn nice.

Look at your Seahawks. Your MVP halfback, Shaun Alexander, teaches kids chess. Your scariest player is named Pork Chop. My God, last week, you offered *valet parking service* to reporters at Seahawks headquarters.

(Seattle fans: If you see valet parking at Detroit's Ford Field this week, they're trying to steal your car.)

Nearly every five-dollar-steak-tough athlete who comes to Seattle leaves -- Gary Payton and Randy Johnson for instance. Consider Seattle's two favorite athletes -- Steve Largent and Fred Couples. Those guys wouldn't complain if somebody extinguished a Cohiba in their ears. Your sportswriters are more forgiving than Hillary Clinton. If they covered Jeffrey Dahmer, they'd refer to him as "a people person."

You Seattle fans don't just accept mediocrity. You crave it. You support your boys come hell or low water. You show up at the rate of three million a year for the Mariners, who never fail to let you down.

Even the stadium sounds cuddly: Safeco Field. You pack the house for the underachieving SuperSonics, led by the NBA's nicest loser, Ray Allen. Your Seahawks went 21 years without a playoff win, and the fans didn't so much as clear their throats. Everybody just goes, "Well, that was fun. Let's kayak!" Hey, you can't spell Seattle without *settle*.

The whole town is 100% June Cleaver. I once walked into Nordstrom, the Seattle-based department store, and sheepishly asked if I could bring back a shirt I'd bought a month before in another town. The clerk said, "Sir, this is Nordstrom. You could wear it for 10 years, throw up on it and roll down a mountain in it and we'd take it back." Ask that at Neiman Marcus and they call security.

It ain't happening. Walruses don't do triple Salchows, and Seattle teams don't win titles.

2. You're too damn geeky.

Your owner, Microsoft cofounder Paul Allen, looks like the kid in high school who always got taped to the goalposts. If Allen wins, will he call all his friends from band camp? Throw his slide rule into the air? Plot his joy on a scatter chart?

Look, your average Seahawks fan drives a Prius. Your average Steelers fan drives a Ford Excursion, which has Priuses in its tire treads. Seahawks fans own poodles. Steelers fans eat them.

3. You're too damn wet.

Seattle is a great place if you happen to be mold. It just rained 27 straight days and it wasn't even a record. Seattle is basically a lot of guys waiting for a bus with rain starting to seep into their socks. Most kids are seven years old before they realize the umbrella is not an extension of the right arm. No wonder most great athletes leave. Ken Griffey Jr. left, basically saying, "I want my kid to be able to play outside once in a while."

In short, you people are too damn peaceful and happy in your Emerald City. You ever know anybody from Pittsburgh? You want this Super Bowl. Pittsburgh "needs" it. You're going to get smoked like a platter of smelt. (But do you mind if we come live there?)

*Issue date: February 6, 2006*
supporter
Brady, I think the Offensive PI call was the right call. I'm talking about right before the Hasselbeck pick, when he threw a long shot over the middle and got it down to the 1 yard line. It looked for sure like Seattle was going to go up 17-14 after that. But there was yellow on the field for holding on the O-Line. A replay revealed what a weak call it was. Holding calls like that (the kind that could literally be called on every single play if the ref saw fit) should never be called in a Super Bowl.

The refs shouldn't be making educated "guesses" based on what they "think" happened, even if they didn't see it clearly. If they didn't see a penalty clearly, they shouldn't call it at all.

On the Roethlisberger TD, if the ref had signaled immediately for the TD when Big Ben got close to the line, I don't think anyone would have faulted him. It was very close (although still short I think) The real problem was the fact that he looked like he was spotting the ball short for about 5 seconds, then thought about what Steelers fans might do to him in a back alley somewhere, and decided to go ahead and call the touchdown instead.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 16 years ago
Rick, I agree with you on the calls. But unlike Sodbuster I think that it was still the Steelers game. Like Jared the clock management by Seattle, both coaches and the QB was, piss poor. Turnovers and bad clock management was the difference in this game.

Brady Stone
supporter
http://msn.foxsports.com/...ry/5310192

pretty much sums up my sentiments.

Yeah there was some bad clock management. But Seattle won in turnovers, total yards, and TOP. They did lose the arbitrary yellow-hankey battle though, by over 3 to 1.

I was glad to see Cowher get one though. No coach deserves it more.

This just should have been a very tight, back-and-forth game. Heck, even Big Ben said he didn't think he scored.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 16 years ago
Man, I saw the offensive PI call again too. Polamalu was all in the refs face calling for the flag and then he threw it. I hate when referees and umpires make calls after a player tells them to.
Posted by Betty O'Brien (+120) 16 years ago
I just have to reply to the Super Bowl comments - Yes, of course, I am a Seahawk fan but after reading what Kevin Hench says, I have to agree whole heartedly. He stated "It was the most unjust loss in the Super Bowl History" - How true!

The Seahawks had gained more yards, led time of possession and won the turnovers - but couldn't claim the win due to the horrible officiating. Also 7 of the Seahawks have been selected to go to the Pro Bowl - doesn't that say something good about them?
Betty O'Brien