Posted by Michele (+199) 11 years ago
So I was thinking about how Miles City could have a Festival to celebrate something other than the mosquito! I talked with several friends and we came up with a Zucchini Festival. Think about it every year how many people have way to much zucchini. We could have baking compitions and sales. Zucchini contest for biggest, longest, heaviest, etc. Zucchini art shows, there's really several things you could do and the sales and such could benifit local FFA and 4-H or really any group teaching kids the value of good gardening. If enough people like the idea I'm sure the Chamber would get on board. I personally hate the idea of a mosquito festival (blood suckers).
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15075) 11 years ago
I wonder what zucchini wine would taste like. Hmmm....
supporter
Posted by Jonna (+278) 11 years ago
Sounds like a perfectly delicious idea. I know I would certainly be interested, it could even be a fall harvest festival so people could kick in some squash and pumpkin cooking contests to boot!
Posted by Girl Scouts MT/WY (+29) 11 years ago
Sounds like a fun idea!

Have you heard about the Night on Ninth St. Festival? It will be downtown on Sept 10th at 5pm.

IF you wanted to organize your zucchini contest stuff around that you'd be more than welcome to set everything up down there!

There's lots of fun stuff happening and your idea would be a fun addition.

If you get this together in time and want more info contact Erin Thormodsgard at 951-1525
Posted by ringin10 (+74) 11 years ago
I currently live in denver and there are 2 suburbs that host similar festivals.....wheat ridge has the carnation festival and arvada has the harvest festival.....they do parades, carnivals, car-shows, and the list goes on. It gives us something different to do and the kids love it! Its a whole weekend filled with stuff to do...both of these festivals have information online just search google.....It would be a great thing for Miles City to do, and give the people something else to do for a change.
Posted by Mandyrosy (+195) 11 years ago
There is currently a fall harvest festival that runs the whole month of October. If people wanted to organize some biggest zucchini/squash contests, zucchini bread/pumpkin pie baking contests, etc., I'm sure the existing harvest festival committee would welcome it with great enthusiasm and open arms.

They had their most recent meeting this morning:

By DENISE HARTSE
Star Staff Writer
The Miles City Area Chamber of Commerce Merchant's Council members have been making plans for this year's Fall Festival and will continue discussing the annual event at their next meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 1
The meeting begins at 8 a.m. in the Loft Gallery at Discover Pond. Those planning to attend should use the side street entrance on North Ninth Street.
This meeting will last approximately one hour and is open to local merchants and Miles City residents who want to help with and have ideas for the annual event.
Fall Festival activities will begin Friday, Oct. 1, and continue through Sunday, Oct. 31. Miles City merchants are asked to decorate their storefronts or businesses in a fall theme for the month of October. Displays should be in place by Oct. 1 and remain on display through the entire month.
To help with the festivities, John Riggs of Riggs Camera and Gifts Inc. said he will hold a calendar photo contest. Shutter bugs are encouraged to head outside and take some photos for the competition. More information is available at the store located at 807 Main St. or phone 234-1838.
Anyone who would like to help plan activities for this year's Fall Festival, who would like to be involved in the festival in some way or who have events that they would like listed on the festival's calendar should contact the Chamber office at 234-2890. The deadline for getting activities listed on the 2010 Fall Festival Calendar is Friday, Sept. 10.
Cornstalks will again be used to decorate the streets of Miles City. More information about these decorations is available from John Scheuering at Discovery Pond, phone 234-8300.
For more information about Fall Festival activities visit the Miles City Area Chamber of Commerce office at 511 Pleasant St. or call 234-2890. Chamber office hours are Mondays through Fridays from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m.
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+791) 11 years ago
The Democrats are planning their annual Oktoberfest with the best sauerkraut, brats and German potato salad outside of Gunnar's cooking. Does any one know of an Oom pah, pah band we can hire? Maybe the band students trying to raise money for their trip might want to make a bid. Any way, watch for the posters and ads for the time and place that will be posted soon. And yea, yes, we love the fall festival.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15075) 11 years ago
Sounds more like a Lutheran function than a democrat function.