Useless Study
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+934) 16 years ago
Useless Study: From time to time I'll be listening to the news and there will be a story on some study that came up with a finding that anyone could have predicted without making the study. Fictional example (although somebody somewhere probably did this study) that over eating will cause obesity. I was trying to find some examples using Google, but didn't have much luck. I'm curious if anyone has a good example of this type of study - where the outcome is of no surprise. If you have an example, please post.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15202) 16 years ago
Ft Keogh's study on how many pine needles a cow has to eat before she aborts her calf.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1592) 16 years ago
Bart, like the Riverside Park Study. They spend a bunch of money to tell people the obvious. We need to cut down older trees and plant new ones and we need new bathrooms. They waisted so much money planing that non was left to actually do anything with. Wow pure genius.
The infamous Parks study of 2000, the then City Council came to the conclusion that three full time employees were not enough so they downsized the parks by getting rid of two parks only to add two different parks a year later. The parks they added took more work than the two parks they let go. Pure genius.
founder
supporter
Posted by G. Huss (+162) 16 years ago
The study that concluded that there was a much higher percentage of fatal accidents in rural areas vs. metro areas in Montana that in rural areas vs. metro areas in Rhode Island.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1759) 16 years ago
Use of marijuana is beneficial to the survival of convenience stores in urban California.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17814) 16 years ago
How about useless newspaper headlines? A few weeks ago, the leading banner of the Helena Independent Record trumpeted: "Racicot Praises Bush". I had forgot about it, but someone wrote a great letter to the editor today:

http://www.helenair.com/a...306_01.txt
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1592) 16 years ago
Gunnar, it was so funny I thought we should just share it directly.

Sad headline

The Independent Record saved their best, funniest, saddest, most ironic and most pathetic headline for their last paper of 2005. "Racicot praises Bush," the headline shouted on Dec. 31.

Don't stop now. Keep the fun alive in 2006. The headline possibilities are endless. Here are more praiseful headlines. Feel free to use any of them.

Enron praises Exxon, Saddam praises Bin Laden, Bonnie praises Clyde, The devil praises Hitler, Moe praises Larry who praises Curly, Abbot praises Costello, Bush praises torture, Torture praises Bush, Martz praises Racicot, Racicot praises Martz, Martz praises Martz, Racicot praises Racicot, Tom DeLay praises lobbyists, Idi Amin praises Jeffrey Dahmer, The guy who cut off the dog's head near Basin praises the guy who threw the cat off the bridge in Missoula, NorthWestern Energy praises Racicot, Daffy Duck praises Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse praises Goofy, Wal-Mart praises poverty, the Chinese praise American merchandise, Jessica Simpson praises Paris Hilton, Bush praises Nixon, Gomer Pyle praises Conrad Burns, Republicans praise the minimum wage, Bush praises honesty, Conrad Burns praises Archie Bunker.

Tom Kilmer
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+285) 16 years ago
Tucker praises Richard!
supporter
Now there is a new and creative use for nonparametric statistics!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+10103) 16 years ago
"Whiny Child Will Be An Adult Tory, Says Study"
By DAVID USBORNE in New York
THE INDEPENDENT
March 24, 2006
http://news.independent.c...353312.ece
supporter
That study is a case of "publish or perish".
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17814) 16 years ago
That story helps me understand the psyche of Richard B., Rick K., and others of their ilk. From now on, I vow to be more tolerant of them (that includes you, Buck S., you little chicken lover, you).

Thanks for the link, Hal.
Posted by Morhead (+118) 16 years ago
HEY GUNNAR

AMERICAN IDOL AMERICAN IDOL AMERICAN IDOL, OH AND AMERICAN IDOL
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4459) 16 years ago
Wow, of all the places to try to pin down the conservative psyche, Berkeley.

I'm pretty sure I could fashion a single-locale study along the same lines that would determine that pimps and crackheads grow up Democrat. That puts Bob and Gunnar in a whole new light as well.

Only I'm not sure which is which.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5103) 16 years ago
Rick:

Just continue living under the delusion that I'm a Democrat...if it makes you feel better.
supporter
Sweet!

When given the choice between a Pimp, a Crackhead, or a Democrat, you're offended over being called a Democrat. Priceless.

Maybe there's hope for you yet, Bob!

Sorry for taking the discussion down a notch, though. I didn't stay classy, did I? I'll try to keep it clean.

[This message has been edited by Rick Kuchynka (edited 3/27/2006).]
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5103) 16 years ago
Yeah, Rick, I'm a pimp and a crackhead.

Idiot.
Posted by Kate (+93) 16 years ago
"Ft Keogh's study on how many pine needles a cow has to eat before she aborts her calf."

Richard,
Why do you think that was a useless study?
supporter
It was a joke.

Relax
Posted by MC Waddell (+37) 16 years ago
supporter
Kate:"Ft Keogh's study on how many pine needles a cow has to eat before she aborts her calf."

Richard,
Why do you think that was a useless study?"

I tbink it was useless because the outcome known before they started. Anyone with much experience pasturing livestock knows that you don't pasture pregenant cows in pine trees or you will lose a lot of calves. The quantification of this phenominon is pointless. But, in the world of publish or perish you sometimes research some strange information.

I wish they would study virtual fencing and the use of infra-red arial imagery to move livestock to protien sources in real time. I think that will be a real useful tool for managing the range.