Busted Windshield
supporter
Posted by Steve Z (+998) 11 years ago
I would just like to thank the useless dbag that punched out the windshield in my 93 Mustang on Monday afternoon. It gives me a feeling of being to provide you with my property, that I work long hard hours to buy, so that you can have something to destroy. I realize that your impotence probably causes great stress in your life and you need a way to vent that frustration. Here's an idea, get a job. Oh but I am sure you are far too into smoking dope to inconvenience yourself with that. Maybe a hobby. I know you could try putting a plastic bag over your head. This would cure your erectile dysfunction as well as leaving additional oxygen for a useful productive member of society.

Most Sincerely,

Steve
Posted by Tracy Walters (+302) 11 years ago
Steve...I sympathize...I live in Billings, in a pretty nice neighborhood, but between my wife and I, we have had 3 broken windows in our vehicles this year...one had over $1300 damage to the car in addition to the rear window.

Even though insurance paid the bulk of it, my deductible payments have been well over $900 this year, and we've lost the use of the vehicles for a week each of the three times.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 11 years ago
Another reason why I feel all cars should have an option for bullet proof glass. MUCH harder to bust.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1606) 11 years ago
I know! When I was busting those ones on Monday I........Oops!

Never mind!

F...
Posted by kkec (+125) 11 years ago
Let's go a little farther. Last weekend between Thurs. and Sun., while we were out of town, someone got into my husband's work truck and stole his work laptop, ipod touch and other items that were in the laptop bag. The laptop was double passworded so it will be useless to the average teenager. This is the second time this year someone has broken into our things and taken our things. Never mind the fact that we accidentally forgot to take the items out of our vehicle and the fact that it wasn't in plain site. Also the fact that it couldn't be accidentally seen by any ordinary passerby. What ever happened to if it isn't your and you don't have permission keep your fricken hands off of it.
supporter
sponsor
Whatever happened to "finders keepers....losers weepers?"

FH
supporter
Posted by Steve Z (+998) 11 years ago
BTW

I forgot to mention. I am offering a reward of $100. This is in addition to any moneys available through crime stoppers. Contact Miles City Police for details.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 11 years ago
Dang Steve that sucks. When you find them, break their nose as a fair is fair reason.
supporter
Posted by Sunny (+378) 11 years ago
I'll match your $100 reward. I am so-o-o tired of this senseless vandalism!!
I hope they catch them ... usually it's because the perps are too stupid to quit, and they get caught in the act.

When I reported vandalism after the second incident, I spoke to the police lieutenant, and he indicated they had broken windows in police cars also.

He told me "If you feel threatened, take whatever action you feel necessary, you just have to prove to the jury that you felt that way. In this state, the law is clear that you have a right to defend yourself."

Just food for thought.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 11 years ago
He told me "If you feel threatened, take whatever action you feel necessary, you just have to prove to the jury that you felt that way. In this state, the law is clear that you have a right to defend yourself."

Just food for thought.

Someone's been taking that whole 3-7-77 business a little too seriously.
Posted by KFC (+24) 11 years ago
Maybe thats not to bad an idea?
supporter
sponsor
Don't believe that bull. A self defense motive is one of the hardest to prove and to win in a court of law. The law will not take into account the type of person you and the victim are, only that an aggression has occurred and an injury has resulted. You will be arrested and charged and will require an expensive defense. Even if you win, the sacrifice of your time and dollars is excessive.

Better to write down the license number and dial 911 instead.

FH
Someone's been taking that whole 3-7-77 business a little too seriously.

What the rest of you haven't seen is number of incidents of vandalism around us...I just mentioned the damage to my vehicles, but several of my neighbors have had it also. One night I woke up to a thumping car stereo and then heard the distinct sound of a paintball gun firing three times. My wife and I went out to find the driver's side window busted on our neighbor's car. We've seen damage on the vehicles from what appears to be a metal rod or bar being smashed along the side.

These aren't youthful pranks...'egging' a house or something, this is serious damage using devices that can hurt someone, and it's being repeated. My wife is now afraid to go outside alone in our yard after 10pm...most of the incidents have happened between 12:30am and 4am...at least those we've heard.

Maybe some of you think it should just be handled by the police, but unfortunately, the police aren't around when they do it. Police work best when society works with them...this element clearly does not care about police, other's property, or how it affects others.

Do you still think we should leave it to police? Mind you, I've had smashed windows and vehicles ... it's cost me well over $1000 ($500 twice due to broken windows and body damage and $100 two other times for replacement windows) in insurance deductibles over the past 10 months. My neighbors have had to pay for damage to their vehicles also.

And yes, I have installed security cameras...I could probably count that $700 as another casualty.

[This message has been edited by Tracy Walters (8/11/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1670) 11 years ago
Do you still think we should leave it to police?

Yes, and that comes from someone who has had a recent break-in and property damage incidents.

It is a sad day when personal property damage is given the weight of someone's life. The incidents you describe do not entail you being immediately fearful for your life, necessitating self-defense. Now, if someone breaks into your home, while you are there, and threatens you with a weapon, that is another case. and let's not confuse the two.

Deductibles and security cameras? Another human being's life (who may just be a stupid teenager pulling his first prank on your home - picked the wrong home didn't he?)? Equivalent?
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17053) 11 years ago
Tracy, are you seriously proposing shooting at some "punk" youth over a $500 car window? And what happens when your stray bullet hits an innocent bystander? Is there no common sense left in the world?
supporter
Who would Jesus shoot?
Where did I say shoot? You all lept to conclusions.

Good grief!

(I was going to say 'Good Lord' but too many here take offense to mentioning that there is a God)

supporter
Do you still think we should leave it to police?

Yes, I clearly misinterpreted your master plan to give these hooligans a sloppy wet tongue kiss and the contents of your wallet in the hopes that they'd turn to a life of macrame and kittens. I apologize. I don't know how I got so confuzzled.

(I was going to say 'Good Lord' but too many here take offense to mentioning that there is a God)

[This message has been edited by Bridgier (8/11/2010)]
supporter
"You all leapt to conclusions."

When I reported vandalism after the second incident, I spoke to the police lieutenant, and he indicated they had broken windows in police cars also.

Not hard to make that leap from "take whatever action you feel necessary".
Posted by Smiley (+847) 11 years ago
They way you just phrased that Tracy is incorrect. People don't get offended because you mention that there is a god, people get offended because you assume that "god" is a fact. Well, it's not really like I get offended, I get disappointed....
founder
"Tracy Walters" == "Frank Cory"
supporter
Well, unless "Tracy Walters" is religiously disciplined (ha! I made a funny!) when in the "Frank Cory" persona, I'd say Tracy's demonstrated mastery of the quoting system alone invalidates this theory.

Now, I'd buy "Frank Cory" == "frank and beans" any day...
Not hard to make that leap from "take whatever action you feel necessary".

Uh...that was not me that made the statement, it was the police lieutenant.

And we're beginning to veer off the subject, when we begin to discuss God...I admit I brought Him up first. I have to ask though, Smiley ... if you don't believe in Him, why are you disappointed when others believe in Him? Seems like you would just .... uh .... not care?

I guess now we're into the part where some folks don't like what I said, and it's into the part where people start baiting me until you sense blood in the water. Then someone pokes me until I'm angry and make a statement that everyone jumps and rips apart, further exacerbating the issue.

So I guess I'll just bow out now.

supporter
Ah, I see. I, like Bridgier, clearly missed the tea party implication in the anecdote. My apologies.
Posted by mule train (+1055) 11 years ago
one word: meth
supporter
But Tracy, if you don't tell us that you disagree with something you quote, we have to rely on context to divine your meaning, and in the very next post you twice make statements to the effect of "Do you still think we should leave it to police?"

What are we supposed to think?
founder
Goodbye Frank Tracy.
I came back to post this: http://billingsgazette.co...03286.html

It happened a few blocks from my house...I just wanted you to know the seriousness of what is happening around here.

I won't respond to any of the comments, other than Bridgier's...some of the others don't warrant a response as they are just inflammatory.

Bridgier, I didn't disagree with the Police Lieutenant's comment...I need to do what I need to do to be safe...what is the issue is that everyone assumed I intended to pull out a gun and shoot someone.

I never indicated I would do that, or had an intent to do anything that drastic.

In light of link I just posted, however, things are going to be a lot more tense in the Heights for a while, and I'm probably not the only one who feels that way.
founder
Tracy, your link doesn't work.

Rather than drop innuendos and then declare that you are the most misunderstood person on the Internet, why don't you be specific about what exactly you would do?
Posted by Tina Bean (+415) 11 years ago
chinese water torture
Here's that link again, I apologize it didn't work the first time...not sure why:

http://billingsgazette.co...03286.html

Rather than drop innuendos and then declare that you are the most misunderstood person on the Internet, why don't you be specific about what exactly you would do?

I looked back through my posts...I couldn't find where I said I declared I was 'the most misunderstood person on the Internet' Perhaps you chose to interpret it as such, for your own reasons, much as you did my other statements.

As to what I would do...okay... the answer is 'I don't know, but it would depend on what I encountered when catching someone'

If the person(s) are out there beating cars with a metal rod, I'd probably react differently than if they were driving around taking shots at houses (see the link).

How would you react? Have you thought through those circumstances?
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 11 years ago
Tracy is letting the terrorists win... again.
Posted by Smiley (+847) 11 years ago
Oh Tracy, its SOOO serious. OMG OMG gunshots... OMG OMFG. Everyone who lives here now is lucky that it is just now coming here. I grew up around that stuff in a NICER neighborhood in SoCal. It's all over, and Montana was one of the last places it had yet to fall.

It was only a matter of time.

You are right though, it is a serious problem, but it is a serious problem everywhere, and it definitely isn't a new problem (just new here I guess.)
supporter
I'll bet it was the rainbow people.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 11 years ago
Bridgier: I owe you a gold star again.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+515) 11 years ago
I think Tracy has a valid right to feel the way she does, Smiley. It wasn't just "gunshots," it was actual bullets entering walls and rooms that people are sleeping in. Living in Montana gives you a certain amount of comfort and you have a right not to be shot at in your own bed.

Now are the people in the red car that are shooting at random things the same that are breaking the windshields? Probably not, but who knows. If you caught them smashing your windshield and they were wielding a gun menacingly towards you, do you have the right to defend yourself and your property? Very tough questions, I don't care if you are in Compton or Miles City.

We must not allow ourselves to fall to Glendive's level.
supporter
Smiley, are you French?

Zook and Tracy, I promise the victims of the drive-by shootings were not selected at random. Rest easy, no one is going to shoot at you (as long as you don't think about using a different caregiver).
founder
I think Tracy has a valid right to feel the way she does

I think Tracy is a "he" not a "she" but I'm not 100% certain of that.

Living in Montana gives you a certain amount of comfort and you have a right not to be shot at in your own bed.

Those of us living outside of "God's Country" have a lesser right to not be shot at while in our homes.

Anyhow, heaven forbid that we'd let law enforcement do their job. Much better to arm ourselves and go out there and "get 'er done" ourselves. I feel much safer knowing that the knothead citizen next door is armed and willing to use it at a moment's notice because so many of you have demonstrated your clear-headedness and sound reasoning right here on these forums.
supporter
David, you need to learn to accept and live with violence... like a Frenchman.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+586) 11 years ago
Yeah, those Frence are sooo violent... Becoming more aware of your neighborhood is a good idea. Noting and reporting any unusual activity, etc.

Dont think I would feel any safer with a 'Gestopo' type presence either. That police officer's 'advise' is a crock. Better to catch them in the act than to end up facing charges yourself.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 11 years ago
Neighborhood Watch to the rescue!!!!!!!
Posted by Bruce Helland (+586) 11 years ago
At least an aid. Better than groups of armed citizens running around shooting at anything that moves.... Perhaps its to much trouble to keep an eye out for trouble in your own neighborhood.