Tongue River Winery to Open in Sept 2010 finally!
Posted by Bob & Marilyn Thaden (+39) 10 years ago
After 5 years, we're finally almost in business! You can find us at http://www.tongueriverwinery.com.

Despite a near total crop loss due to early hard frost last fall, we DO have a great crop of sandcherries, and will be offering both a sweet and dry sandcherry wine early this fall. See our website for history, photos, wine offerings planned.

If any of you have unwanted apples, chokecherries, sandcherries, raspberries, grapes, etc. DO contact us at [email protected] ALSO, we WILL accept only your used 750 ml cork-style wine bottles for refilling, rather than see them at the dump. We clean, sterilize and refill. Leave them by our garage doors behind our house at the end of Morning Star Lane.

Thanks for all your support!
Bob & Marilyn Thaden, owners of the only vineyard/winery combination in the eastern 3/4 of Montana.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2310) 10 years ago
For future reference, when you make a post and accidentally mess up the title, you can edit your post and change the title if noone has commented on it. That way you do not need to duplicate it.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 10 years ago
But what if Noone never shows up? What if he's just too busy to go commenting on everything? Why should Noone have to shoulder all the responsibility?

On a more serious note, what the heck are sandcherries?
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1787) 10 years ago
ditto, Josh, if you happen to type in noone instead of no one, when you're correcting someone else btw: what was wrong with the title of their thread?

Drat! Wendy beat me to it.

[This message has been edited by K.Duffy (8/3/2010)]
Posted by Josh Rath (+2310) 10 years ago
I was just telling them, that way they know for future reference. Get the bug out of your butts.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14664) 10 years ago
Sand Cherries aka Prunus cistena. They are similar to, and in the same genus as chokecherry aka Prunus virginiana.
Posted by Mandyrosy (+194) 10 years ago
Yay!!! Very glad to hear it!
Sometimes sandcherries are identified as Prunus Besseyi. They look and taste a lot like giant chokecherries (1/2 to 5/8" across) but are much juicier. They are a small shrub, hardy to -50°F and don't mind alkaline soil. I got mine cheap from the Custer County Conservation District. They make great wine.
Bob
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14664) 10 years ago
I have a wine question; I love wine, but there is something in most of it that gives me a horrendous sinus headache or allergic reaction. I have the same issue with a lot of beer IPA's in particular. I think it might be the sulfa but I am not certain. Any ideas?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11399) 10 years ago
If they are related to chockcherries, I assume some sugar has to be added or that would be one lip-puckering bit of vino.
supporter
Richard,

For some people the sulfites that are in most wines, esp. red ones, can cause a reaction. You might want to try a sulfite-free wine and see if you get the same reaction.
For headaches and wine(beer too?) check the internet for "Red Wine Headache" or RWH. Nobody seems to know for sure what it is, but it is probably NOT sulfites. and yes, a dry sandcherry wine can be quite "austere." I like it that way. But sweet, it is.....divine! Come see us when we open, Amorette, and you can try it both ways.
Bob
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16560) 10 years ago
Bob is right on...having had sandcherry wine before, the stuff is fabulous....much better than chokecherry wine to my admittedly uneducated palate.

Congratulations on the opening! I will have to get mom to pick me up a bottle of your sandcherry wine.
supporter
I stand corrected about sulfites. I too would like to try some sandcherry wine. Is it anything like dandelion wine?
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1787) 10 years ago
I think the 'wine headache' is from the dehydration drinking wine seems to cause. Try drinking a big glass of water before/after the wine Works for me!
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1430) 10 years ago
Fermented cherries called "wine?"
founder
supporter
The histamines in many red wines give me a sinus headache so I generally stick to whites but sandcherry sounds fascinating. I think my husband is working this weekend so it is very possible we'll be out to test a few bottles.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9978) 10 years ago
Wendy Wilson wrote:
Is it anything like dandelion wine?

Are you perhaps a Ray Bradbury fan?
I've never made dandelion wine nor tasted it. But no, it would not be anything like dandelion wine, which is a white wine, and sandcherry is definitely a big pushy red.
founder
supporter
Dandelion wine is made primarily with oranges for taste. The blossoms really provide color more than flavor.
Just got our labels approved and our final state license today! We are now fully licensed to make, bottle, label and sell wine. We plan to offer our first wine sometime in September.

If anyone has chokecherries or sandcherries or other fruit you don't want, bring it out, call us, email us and we'll convert it to quality Montana wine!
Bob
Posted by Johna (+20) 10 years ago
Tremendous news! Will you have it available anywhere else within the state?
Especially due to our 2010 grape crop failure, and our pathetic newness in the business side of things, the answer is: FOR NOW, NO! We plan to market most all of our wine this next 12 months in Miles City, from our Winery, in the supper clubs, and perhaps the liquor stores and grocery stores if they are willing. When next year's crop arrives, we may change our tactics in early 2012.

It is typical that microwineries market 80-90% of their product right at the winery. We expect that will be so for us.
Bob
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1780) 10 years ago
Bob and Marilyn,

I'm not a huge fan of wine. I might have an occasional glass with a matching meal, but I just wanted to say good luck with your business! I give you a lot of credit for putting yourselves out there and starting a very unique business. I hope it works-out.

If I come back to Miles City in the next few months, I might check with you about buying a bottle, perhaps. We shall see.
Posted by Johna (+20) 10 years ago
No problem! I haven't been back to Miles City in 2 or 3 years...this will give me incentive! Best of Luck-
founder
supporter
Just getting through the paperwork is cause to celebrate!
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1780) 10 years ago
ATTENTION BOB AND MARILYN:

I just came-up with an idea for your business and have sent an email to your midrivers address. Please check your email and get back to me. Thanks!
Posted by Beth R. Riggs (+300) 10 years ago
Congratulations Bob and Marilyn. I look forward to tasting your wines and I will try to bring you some empty bottles. Do you accept wormy apples (shades of tequila)? Wild plums that are small and tart?
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+930) 10 years ago
Richard, try not drinking the entire bottle at one sitting and see if that helps.

I had my first glass of beer from the Wibaux brewery. It was the dark and I have no idea what it was called, but it was really good.

As for the TRW, congratulations and I greatly look forward to buying a bottle.
Nope, that won't work.
Nope, not that one either
Nope, certainly not
:wine: See if this does anything