Frank Cory... Yeah, YOU
Posted by Smiley (+847) 11 years ago
Ok, listen up. You are a Christian, I'm assuming. You believe WAY different things than I do. Let me tell you what I think about your beliefs.

1. Your always trying to push your ideals, beliefs, etc, down others throat. Apparently you do this to get brownie points from your "god."

2. You think anyone who believes different than you is going to burn in hell for eternity.

3. You probably think the world is only about 6000 years old, and Adam and Eve rode on dinosaurs.

Am I close? Deny it all you want, but I'm sure that you are hypocritical.

A quote from your previous post
7. doing unto others as you would have them do unto you

Hm, ok so I don't think you have a right to own a gun(you might kill an innocent person). I DON'T think you have a right to free speech, just because you might say something to offend someone? {sarcasm]
Do you understand what I am getting at? Treat others how you want to be treated.

If you'd like, I'll come knock on your door on your day off of work as early as possible, and I'll ask you if you've considered atheism. Then, I'll leave little pieces of paper on your doorstep that explain why you are a horrible person, and you better stop believing in God because it makes you ignorant. Would you like that Frank? I could become an preaching atheist just so you are treated the way you treat others.

Just so you can stop judging me RIGHT NOW, I'll tell you something. I'm pro choice. I'm not pro baby killing mania showdown (or whatever you'd like to think.) That's as far as I'll go, sir. I don't think you'll be able to understand how many sins you've committed, but don't worry. There are levels of abomination according to someone. I think it's a man.

Sincerely,
Shannon Marie Wozny
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1905) 11 years ago
This has definite possibilities.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1438) 11 years ago
Without a doubt, this has MC.COM written all over it.
Posted by ABE (+421) 11 years ago
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1795) 11 years ago
hmmm...nope, I'm not touching this.
Posted by Smiley (+847) 11 years ago
Of course. Make wise cracks all you want. I guess that's all you can do when someone who isn't a god fearing christian states their beliefs. It is an oddity, I guess.... well at least in this small town
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1438) 11 years ago
I'm not in that town. So nyah nyah.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
Frank, like all "Pro-Lifers," oversimplifies a complex issue using fear-mongering and exaggeration. There is much more to legalized abortion than "crushing baby skulls," especially since the vast majority of abortions are performed on fetuses the size of peanuts but to deal with the realities of a life for some women with an unwanted pregnancy would force Frank and his ilk to think outside the womb and grant women equal rights to their offspring and THAT is simply too hard to deal with.
Posted by stephen (+250) 11 years ago
I am going to have to agree with what my wife said in an earlier topic about this subject. I do not posses the reproductive organs it takes to carry a child for 9 months so it is none of my business on a law like level whether it is legal or illegal. However on a personal level between the two people the man does have the right to share his opinion.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
Random cosmic thought here: it seems to me that if you allow yourself to feel judged by the thoughts or beliefs of others you are giving them control or power over you. Why would give someone who's beliefs you don't respect that kind of attention?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
Because, Richard, those beliefs often end up reflected in the law. That is the power of a theocracy and that is scary if you don't follow the same beliefs.

Witness the ban on gay marriage. Why? Because the beliefs of particular religions are against it, therefore the State becomes against it.

In some theocratic regimes, I would not be allowed to learn to read or write because it is against the beliefs of those in power. THAT is the problem.
Posted by Gail Finch Shipek (+94) 11 years ago
Amorette, would you explain your statement "and grant women equal rights to their offspring"? It does not seem to fit your argument.

Seems to me the mother has a right to choose life or death for her offspring. Her offspring does not get a choice for their own life or death let alone their mother's. And I would bet that 99.99% of all the offspring alive today would not choose to die today or when they were a "peanut".
supporter
Because, Richard, those beliefs often end up reflected in the law. That is the power of a theocracy and that is scary if you don't follow the same beliefs.

Witness the ban on gay marriage. Why? Because the beliefs of particular religions are against it, therefore the State becomes against it.

In some theocratic regimes, I would not be allowed to learn to read or write because it is against the beliefs of those in power. THAT is the problem.

Fair enough.

Although I didn't make this at all clear, the context in which I asked the question was on a more personal level; i.e. Smily feeling judged by Frank's beliefs. Frank, or anyone else with such a perspective on abortion, isn't the law of the land, it is simply their opinion. To allow yourself to feel judged by that person is to give them some control over you. If you are confident of your beliefs, why pack your bags and go on a guilt trip?

In a broader context, where the state become involved, I understand your concern.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1671) 11 years ago
If you are confident of your beliefs, why pack your bags and go on a guilt trip?

For many reasons. For example, there is strength in numbers. Non-Christians are by far the minority in Miles City. It is easy to feel like, because you do not believe as the majority does, there must be something wrong with you. This is a concept that is difficult to master and takes a real maturity and confidence with oneself. This is true when confronted by strangers, but even more so when criticized by family and friends. Important decisions such as why you are not baptizing your child and why you do not attend church are real pitfalls when you are trying to balance a family/friend dynamic, especially in a small town, where so much about the world and its other cultures and religions is so misunderstood. This especially hit home for me today as I was reading the following article, particularly the comments:

http://blogs.ajc.com/cynt...hia_tucker

This is like saying that, because Hitler considered himself Christian, and he committed some of the greatest atrocities in all of history, there should be no Christian symbolism near any places sacred to Jews, Romanies, Poles, etc. (Hitler's various classes of victims)

Step outside your box people and actually learn something about people who are not 100% like you. You might learn something in the process and become a more fulfilled, empathetic person to boot.
Posted by Mandi (+352) 11 years ago
Oh boy, the abortion topic. My PERSONAL opinion is... if you are not a woman, and have not been in the situation to be forced to make a life changing decision, don't judge people who have! As far as the Christianity topic... everyone is entitled to their own religious choices in the U.S. People may be hypocritical and judgemental, but that is their opinion. Don't let criticism hurt you, stand up for what you believe. Smiley, you are a strong woman. Sometimes it is best to choose your battles, most are just small stuff. Sometimes, the battles must be aired. Keep your cool, and keep smiling and loving your kids!
supporter
This is a concept that is difficult to master and takes a real maturity and confidence with oneself. This is true when confronted by strangers, but even more so when criticized by family and friends. Important decisions such as why you are not baptizing your child and why you do not attend church are real pitfalls when you are trying to balance a family/friend dynamic, especially in a small town, where so much about the world and its other cultures and religions is so misunderstood.

Well, when you put it like that... . I can certainly relate to being intimidated.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (8/2/2010)]
Posted by Frank Cory (+231) 11 years ago
<Ok, listen up. You are a Christian, I'm assuming.>

Ok...listen up...yes I'm a Christian.

< You believe WAY different things than I do.>

Er...yeah sort of appears to be the case.

< Let me tell you what I think about your beliefs.>

Why should I?
Do i owe you one?

<1. Your always trying to push your ideals, beliefs, etc, down others throat. Apparently you do this to get brownie points from your "god.">

You sound like you are intimidated by something, smiley. Why is attempting to discuss a very controversial view.."pushing" anything? What are you afraid of?

<2. You think anyone who believes different than you is going to burn in hell for eternity.>

How do you know I think that? Maybe you just think you know that?

<3. You probably think the world is only about 6000 years old, and Adam and Eve rode on dinosaurs.>

You know what ASS U ME ing gets you most of the time, don"t you?

<Am I close?>

If I said you are out in the ozone...would it mmake any differnce?

<Deny it all you want, but I'm sure that you are hypocritical.>

Perhaps. I suppose I can be at times...but i do try not to be.

<A quote from your previous post

7. doing unto others as you would have them do unto you>

Did i do dat?

<Hm, ok so I don't think you have a right to own a gun(you might kill an innocent person).>

Am I supposed to care what you think about me owning a gun?

<I DON'T think you have a right to free speech, just because you might say something to offend someone? {sarcasm]>

Yes i gathered that much. Trying to save humanity from the depavity of truth are we?
Do you understand what I am getting at? Treat others how you want to be treated.

<If you'd like, I'll come knock on your door on your day off of work as early as possible, and I'll ask you if you've considered atheism.>

You can knock on my door any day you like, dear. Be careful though...you might actually have to engage in an honest discussion. Atheism is an interesting topic for sure. No need to go ballistic though.

< Then, I'll leave little pieces of paper on your doorstep that explain why you are a horrible person, and you better stop believing in God because it makes you ignorant.>

So...you are concerned about my dreadful ignorance too? Geeze, this has really got you wound tighter than Dicks handband! No need for pieces of paper , dear. Can't we duscuss this civily?

< Would you like that Frank?>

Oh..i likie lots of things, dear.

<I could become an preaching atheist just so you are treated the way you treat others.> So...I am obviously harming you. Could it be you are so offended...because i have spoken a truth or two?

<Just so you can stop judging me RIGHT NOW,>

I dunno dear...sounds to me like you've already done quite a little judging yourself here! Does that mean i HAVE to do what you tell me to?

<I'll tell you something. I'm pro choice.>

Wow!

<I'm not pro baby killing mania showdown (or whatever you'd like to think.)>

Really? Oh...I see. You wouldn't abort a child but you feel everyone ought to have that "right" if they want to...is that it?

<That's as far as I'll go, sir.>

You're begining to sound like keith olberman with the "sir" stuff:-))

<I don't think you'll be able to understand how many sins you've committed,>

Well...you are certainly right about that. I tend to have a short memory on those things.

<but don't worry. There are levels of abomination according to someone.>

er...ahhh..yes i suppose so. We all get insulted every now and then it seems.

< I think it's a man.>

Could it have been a woman?

Ok smiley..you vented...I accomodated your vent...anything else on your mind?

Sincerely,
Shannon Marie Wozny
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 11 years ago
D-bag
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4461) 11 years ago
I mean, <D-bag>
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 11 years ago
Shannon Marie Wozny? Frank, when did you get a sex-change?