Garland Schoolhouse - located on the Tongue River
Posted by bbriggs (+9) 11 years ago
Hello- I am looking for information on this schoolhouse. Who was it named for? When was it bulit? any photographs?

Thank you

Bill
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+587) 11 years ago
"The first wagon boss for the Company was Jess Garland, for whom Garland Post Office was named, and whose ranch was about twenty-five miles up Tongue River from Miles City." from Dusting off the old ones- 24. passing of the E2. (for entire article use search feature on this site; also several biographies found in same search reference Garland school.)

The only photo I could find is of Garland area on Flickr- shows a postcard cancellation from Garland Post Office also.
http://www.flickr.com/pho...otostream/
Posted by Brad Sauer (+48) 11 years ago
Bill, I have a book entitled the "West That Was" ? something like that anyways, and it lists people and places from around here. The only problem is that the book is up at the ranch and I am here in Miles City. I will look this up when I go back to the ranch. You might try googling Mt place names.

The photo included here I'm sure you know, is of The Hirsch's Cake plant. (The Garland School is actually a bit further south along the Tongue River Road.).
Posted by bbriggs (+9) 9 years ago
Yet - its winter in Michigan - thanks for the response - it only took me a few years to check it! I soke with Charlie Blumgardener (sp)this year, 2012, and he said the Garland Schoolhouse was built in 1902. Do you know if this is correct?

Bill Briggs
Brad - Bill Briggs from Michigan - I am sitting in front of my computer on New Years eve day, 2012, and found your reply. How have you been? If you have been along the Tongue River rd. you can see I have continue with the up keep on the schoolhouse.

Bill Briggs
Posted by Elizabeth Emilsson (+787) 9 years ago
You might check with former county superintendent Nonie Zook.(Bill Zook) She certainly had a great knowledge of all the rual schools in Custer County.
Is Nonie Zook related to Tom & Fritz Zook?

Bill Briggs
supporter
Posted by Lynne (+139) 9 years ago
Sister-in-law