Favorite things about Elko...
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 11 years ago
It's amazing how many people in Miles City have a relative, friend, or some other connection to Elko, Nevada. It seems that almost everyone has a favorite place in Elko to eat, hike, ski, etc. If you have a favorite thing to do in Elko, let me know.

By the way, I've already heard about the special "activities" that one can partake of in Nevada, so there's no need to list those.

And if you can't say anything nice, then go sit next to Clairee Belcher and talk to her. I don't want to see bad things listed here either. It's much more exciting to discover those things on your own!
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1607) 11 years ago
Steve,

I have a map to the homes with flag used as lawn ornaments in Elko that you can borrow if you like?

FH
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 11 years ago
Elko is the largest city between Reno and SLC on Interstate 80.

So there's that.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 11 years ago
It has some really cool open pits and waste rock dumps.

Not to mention some world class cyanide heap leach pads.

Yes.....my favorite thing about Elko is the Carlin trend, hands down.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 11 years ago
I shoulda know'd better!
supporter
Posted by Ingird Emilsson (+209) 11 years ago
Basque restaurants. I interviewed in Elko (for a job with Gunnar's favorite) and the interviewer took me to an Basque restaurant (excellent steaks)
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 11 years ago
Chukar hunting is kind of fun.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5094) 11 years ago
In Elko, one can legally wager on sporting events.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9194) 11 years ago
I believe that you may be able to pay for health care with chickens in Elko, but I may have that confused with Winnemuca.

Say hi to Jim Brady if you see him, just be sure to stay out of range of his gutting knife
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+271) 11 years ago
my grandparents live in elko. i'd have to say my favorite thing about it is gambling machines right next to the hard liquor in albertsons. i am always amazed to see people trying their luck while their frozen pizzas defrost in the cart. i also like that if you fly out of elko, airport security takes less than five minutes. however, i do wish that the red lion hotel (the nicest one there) had an indoor pool with hot tub and also a more diverse restaurant menu and bar options.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+586) 11 years ago
Lamoile Canyon up in the Ruby's. Just head toward Spring Creek and keep going. The road will get ya there. Used to be a nice supper club in Lamoile ask around. Open in the evenings I believe.
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+474) 11 years ago
Back in his early days, my husband Jack, says Betty's Place was his favorite. He says he doesn't know if it's still there because his wife won't let him loose in Elko!
My husband said it was a great restaurant. I believe everything he says, ya know!
He likes Capriola's llittle western shop there too!
I think this is where I married that old buckeroo too!
supporter
Posted by skoh (+327) 11 years ago
We lived in Elko - 65 miles from town in the mountains on the Wildhorse Reservoir. Great fishing in winter or summer. The Red Lion and the Star Basque restaurants were our favorite places to eat when we went to town. A trip to Jarbidge was wonderful if you could get there on the winding one lane road that hung off the side of the mountain.
Posted by GVC (+515) 11 years ago
1. Great off-road motorcycle riding
2. Star Restaurant
3. Ruby Mountains
4. Great Scenic drive to Boise
5. Center of the world-class Carlin Trend
6. Lamoille
7. Nice racquet ball courts
8. Decent golf course
9. Cowboy Poetry Festival
10. Nice people
Posted by mtsmom1986 (+12) 11 years ago
I have an aunt and uncle there and every time I visit my aunt takes me to JR's (I think its called ) But it is a cool little town. Lamoile Canyon is another good one if you want some good pictures

[This message has been edited by mtsmom1986 (7/27/2010)]