founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9783) 10 years ago
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 10 years ago
Hal, what do you think? You and I could start up the worlds second oldest profession after we retire. Miles Town rye.
founder
supporter
sponsor
be a good way to live out our Golden Years wouldn't it?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16829) 10 years ago
It took 40 years after Prohibition to legalize brewing beer at the home. I would like to see home distilling legalized as well. I have tasted some mighty fine home distilled beverages in my time, including an exquisite homemade slivovitz from Slovenia.

A friend of my, who lives in Tennessee, made his own absinthe for a while...until it became legal here in the U.S. a few years ago. But my favorite was some old fashioned corn whiskey from West Virginia that I had back in my college days.

If I were to cut federal government spending, I would eliminate the ATF.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Not sayin' that a person should do this . . . but it seems there are some options available for the homedistiller:

http://www.probrewer.com/...istilling/

http://www.google.com/#hl...97823e0f54
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 10 years ago
Apparently, this turns T-Bird into Courvoisier.

http://www.thegreenhead.c...achine.php
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 10 years ago
There you go Hal, dragging us into something illegal. Just because pot is legal in your state doesn't mean you have to drag all of us down.

Have you heard the Larry McMurtry song Chocktaw Bingo- he cooks that crystal meth because the shine don't sell, he cooks that crystal meth he don't mind the smell. It would not pay to make shine in this town.

founder
supporter
sponsor
Legalities are interesting here in the Bush. In some communities it's illegal to possess and/or distribute alcohol (dry). In others, it's legal to possess for personal consumption in your own home (damp). In others there are bars and bottle shops (wet).

In the dry and damp villages I hear that there is quite a bit of homebrewing/distilling that takes place. From what I hear, the quality of the product is, for the most part, very low. There is also a lively bootlegging trade as people smuggle store-bought liquor into the dry villages. I've read in the papers that a 1.5 liter bottle of hard liquor can go for hundreds of dollars. From what I hear, things get very nasty when a couple cases of hard liquor are smuggled into a dry village.

As far as pot goes - the law is very muddled. Local, tribal, state, and federal law enforcement agencies all have their take on what is and isn't legal. What might be legal on one side of the road, might not be on the other side. It's way too confusing for me to keep track of, so I stick with legally homebrewed ale & beer.
supporter
As I always tell me friend Dave the Monk who has joined the Carmelite Order of the Catholic Church.....

There is a big difference between a sin and a crime. Breaking the law does not necessarily mean you are commiting a sin. What is morally right and wrong, and what the state thinks, are two completely different issues.
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 10 years ago
I believe the reason the government requires one to be licensed to run a still is that unless everything is done correctly then, BOOM fallowed by fiery inferno that burns everything near by down. People running their still in a basement kind of burned houses down killing everyone inside. It is the same reason you have to have a boiler operators license to run one of the antique tractors during a parade.
supporter
I have to disagree with you, Steve. As I alluded to earlier, I think the main reason home distilling is illegal is because of lingering prohibitionist attitudes and laws. You can bet money that the Montana Tavern Association is against legalizing home distilling.

Plenty of countries in the civilized world allow their citizens to operate home distilleries without licensing. You don't hear about terrible fires caused by home distilleries in New Zealand, Slovenia, and such, do you?

It is no more dangerous than deep frying a turkey.
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 10 years ago
I have a cousin who grows and distills mint. He is required to keep a federal license in order to run that still even though it has nothing to do with alcohol. I can not judge what is in someone else's heart as they pass laws but I think safety is at least their excuse.
Posted by Craig Bolton (+38) 10 years ago
I have a neighbor who has been making moonshine for a couple of years in his driveway (in plain sight) using a turkey fryer burner, an empty beer keg and a pot still column. The ingredients used to make the "mash" is usually just sugar and turbo yeast fermenting for about 3-4 days in plastic buckets, but you can use anything with natural sugar and/or starch. Corn, potatoes, fruit, etc. After the mash ferments just cook it off in the still. It takes about 12 hours to cook off 10-13 gallons and a 20% ABV mash will make about 2.5 gallons of hootch. Use the "heads" (foreshots) for fingernail polish remover or solvent. The 'TAILS" are mostly water and can be distilled again. The hootch can be cut and flavored for schnapps or just about anything else you can think of, or you can just drink it straight if you have a Teflon stomach and a bionic liver. You won't have either one very long.
The still and parts used to make it is readily available on the internet and even here in my neighborhood. You can even make your own ethanol or biodiesel, go green!
http://www.milehidistilling.com/

It is legal to own a moonshine still or alcohol still, but illegal to produce and sell alcohol and moonshine without a proper license
[This message has been edited by Craig Bolton (9/7/2010)]

[This message has been edited by Craig Bolton (9/7/2010)]
Posted by Muhammed Munir (+20) 10 years ago
[SPAM DELETED, ACCOUNT GAGGED. 12/1/2010]