Playstation 3 features
Posted by CK (+846) 11 years ago
anyone with any experience want to give feedback on how well the ps3 works as a multi-media center. i.e. How well would it function as a hub for surfing the web, watching movies, listening to music, games, video conference, etc. I see that there is a Video cameran/microphone for it. Any one with any opinion on it? Would like to try it before investing a bunch of money into it. Or hear from someone who uses it as a multi-purpose machine.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2312) 11 years ago
The web experience is horrible compared to using a computer, or even a cellphone. It's great for bluray movies, good enough for music. Games are stunning, but not as popular as Xbox. Video Conference is non-existant at this point.

If you want a MediaCentre, buy a MediaCentre PC. It will be just about as much, can do alot more, and it can video conference.

You can actually purchase just about any desktop computer from Walmart, and connect it to your HDTV. There you go. MediaCentre PC.
Posted by dmbohlman (+18) 11 years ago
I love my PS3.... It plays regular dvds, blu ray dvds, i can rent streaming movies, and buy movies that just download and store on the ps3 itself. It is pretty rad. I have had it for 3 years and it hasn't froze once, and I havent even dented my memory despite having a dozen or so high def movies downloaded onto it. It tells me when my friends are online, and we can message back and forth, and with the headset, we can to a little sh*t talking while I am beating them at Madden 10 or NBA live. Any sports games you play updates rosters daily, including any players trades, injuries, releases, suspensions, etc. I havent tried much of surfing the internet, but I did log into my facebook page once and i did watch a few videos on youtube. It seems ok and relatively fast. They have also just released a controller and "eye" similar to the Nintendo Wii controller so it is more motion detection capable. IMO, they have the best games available, best game play, and biggest online players group. If you are into shooter games, the Call of Duty games are all AMAZING, and all of the EA sports games have great graphics and playability.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3707) 11 years ago
buy a MediaCentre PC

I have a PS3 and a Media Center PC and I have to agree with Josh. The PS3 is great for games, and an outstanding blu-ray player. It can stream files from your computer, but it's far less user-friendly than Windows Media Center. The web browser is extremely painful to use, not recommended for that purpose at all. It does do a nice job of streaming netflix if you put in their special blu-ray but basically, anything it can do, a windows computer does better with the exception of video games and playing blurays. Of course the Windows machine can do both of those too if you get a good enough one, just not PlayStation exclusive games. I assume that if they sell a webcam for the PS3 then there must be some sort of video conference/chat app but I know nothing about it. The media center PC can also act as a DVR if you get a TV tuner card for it, but that is a bit clunky as well (two words...IR Blaster). It's true that you can do it with basically any Win7 PC but if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks or can build it yourself you can put it in a case that will fit into your entertainment center and look a bit nicer than having a dell tower sitting next to your TV.

I also have an xbox 360 in my bedroom that boots directly into Windows Media Center and it has access to all videos/music/pictures on the media center PC.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10014) 11 years ago
I've got an old Xbox (not the 360, the one before) and it was okay, but I never played many games on it -- unless kids or relatives came over -- and it was a GREAT babysitter.

Unfortunately, when I last attempted to use it, the damn tray would not open (nor any video would appear on the screen). I tried every practical method I could think of without breaking it to resolve the issue, but I'm done -- it's heading to the recycling center.

Damn shame, as I have an unopened DVD remote still in clamshell for it, and unless anyone wants it (for the price of shipping) it will end up in the trash -- never opened. Hell, I've got a bunch more than that, and would send it to someone if they actually wanted it.

I also have a PS3 -- on the plus side, the wireless network is great -- no external anything required. It's all built in, and seems to work quite well considering how far away it is from the hub.

The games are also quite stunning -- very high quality (but perhaps lacking in quantity).

I mostly bought it because it is a software upgradable Blu-ray -- and it does play 1080p via HDMI quite well. However, the Sony remote (which you have to purchase separately) is actually quite lame. I guess I'm too used to how well designed the TiVo remote is (and the HD TiVo is 1080i).

I really don't see the difference between 1080i or 1080p, perhaps a very tiny, tiny bit, but whatever.

I thought about getting an Xbox 360, but I figured what would be the point.

That TiVo remote though has to be one of the best designed things ever. You don't even have to look at it to know what you're doing. It fits right in your hand, and has clues as to where everything is.

The Sony one is the opposite, you practically have to turn on the lights and study the buttons before deciding the one you decide to hit, before realizing it was the wrong one, and now you have to start or restart or fast forward into your movie.
Larry, the new Xbox 360 has built in everything also, FYI.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10014) 11 years ago
Does it do Blu-Ray via HDMI? If so, perhaps I should switch. Although I've pretty much stuck with Sony for most everything.
Nah. Still DVD. But my TV is a 26in 1080P tv. So DVDs look great on it.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3752) 11 years ago
Larry, if you really wanted to you could probably take it to any number of places to have it repaired for a nominal fee.

Then again it'd probably just be cheaper to go on Amazon or Craig's List and get one there...
supporter
After reading a bit, using PS3 as your main media device might be more viable than I thought. I haven't tried it personally, but I have heard that this software makes the PS3 a very good media extender:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

If you added a keyboard and mouse, or a keyboard with a trackpad sort of like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Pla...B000MFLBBK

Then I'm sure the web browsing experience would be far better.

Finally, the camera does apparently allow you to video chat with up to 6 people at a time, but you can only do it with other PS3 users.
But it is way easier to just purchase a PC and connect it to your TV. None of this extra crud to get it there either. Plus Levi, I have software called "Connect 360" which supposedly allows me to watch my movies from my mac, to my xbox. Doesn't work. Just do the easier route, and you will be happier.
supporter
The HTPC doesn't replace the PS3 as a game machine though, or a bluray player really either if you're talking about a cheapo walmart machine. Especially if you already have a PC with all of your media on it, $289 for a PS3 plus a few accessories could be a very reasonable alternative to a HTPC. As I said, I have a HTPC which I have a heck of a lot more than $289 invested in (more like $1800) and I still have use for my PS3.

And BTW, lots of people are using Connect360 and other programs to stream video to their game machines. The fact that you couldn't get it to work doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (7/13/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 11 years ago
Levi's absolutely correct - If I'd wanted poop to just work, I'd have bought a Tivo, instead of sinking plenty-o-cash into my mythbox.
Posted by J. Dyba (+1345) 11 years ago
Or you could just be awesome and load Ubuntu on your PS3 and have it cure cancer...

unfortunately not everyone is that awesome.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 11 years ago
Wasn't there a big stink recently about Sony turning off the "third party OS" option in the firmware?
Posted by J. Dyba (+1345) 11 years ago
Only if you updated to the Firmware 3.21 version. New 3rd party firmware is being built to re-enable the "other-OS" option. There's also a big class action suit filed against Sony for removing it in the first place that will probably be successful.

[This message has been edited by J. Dyba (7/13/2010)]
Posted by Judd (+47) 11 years ago
I agree with Josh. I love the PS3 for gameplay and watching movies but its online capabilities are poor at best. I have a fast network but the PS3 takes at least twice as long to load a webpage than my computer. The DVD remote for the PS3 in my opinion is a waste of money when the game controller serves all the purposes an individual will need to watch a movie. An HDMI cable is a must. A PS3 would be adequate to look at email and surf webpages if you have more patience than I do. The thing I like about XBox 360 that PS3 doesn't have, is the ability to listen to downloaded music during gameplay. In addition PS3 online gameplay is free and really good where as the Xbox an individual needs to pay for online play.
founder
Posted by James Shaw (+142) 11 years ago
You could always softmod the Xbox1 and put XBMC on it.

I had several old Xboxes given to me with flaky DVD drives. They work excellent as portable Media Centers on a network.

..or upgrade to a 500GB hard drive (need to know what you're doing) and stuff a bunch of movies on it. Just use XBMC as your dashboard.

I do this, but I usually charge $20 for it. This includes locking the new hard drive and the right software. It takes an hour or two to get it done.