use your head people!
Posted by Meri (+134) 11 years ago
lets open fire works and have a free for all in a small area and see how many people can get hurt! Don't be dumb! Large crowd lots of private fire works with the city ones all in one area disaster waiting to happen! Someone was hurt not bad, from what I was told... this is why I wont go! eek! Someone did not think this through all the way.. you should just be greatfull that a person was not killed or hurt really bad! Ok Done ranting!
Posted by Vicky Strom (+133) 11 years ago
Grammar police???? Wendy?

[This message has been edited by Vicky Strom (7/7/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+474) 11 years ago
Do the standard rules of grammar apply during a rant?
Posted by Vicky Strom (+133) 11 years ago
I don't think so. I am just kidding.
Posted by Kimberly D. Reiger (+77) 11 years ago
I couldn't believe the mess at the Bender Park parking lot. People just left their used firework packages there it was covered! Sad
Posted by forrestgump (+8) 11 years ago
A firecracker got me in the eye last year. I was just walking by. NOT fun at all.
Posted by ocne (+472) 11 years ago
I agree!!! I live in the area near Riverside Park/Tedesco field, and it was absolutely crazy around there that night. I understand that this area is supposedly designated as an area for the public to set off fireworks, and it is where the VFW fireworks are detonated, but it was total chaos with both activities going on. In addition to the barrage of constant fireworks being lit somewhere, traffic was also totally unsafe in the area. Apparently some people thought that the area was also a drag strip.

There were people still lighting off fireworks at midnight that night, when it had been going on most of the afternoon and evening already. Again, I understand the significance of the day and this being a designated place for fireworks, but it gets real old for the people living in the area for individuals to still be setting off fireworks very late into the night. And the amount of garbage, used fireworks, beer cans, etc., left laying the area and in Riverside Park was ridiculous. Come on people, have some respect and pick up after yourselves.

To the post about Bender Park, I too saw it the day after the 4th and the amount of used fireworks and trash left in the parking lot was TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR, very disrespectful. And people wonder why places like that wind up no longer being available to the public anymore... Abuse it, you lose it. Get some common courtesy!!!
Posted by Ryan (+484) 11 years ago
I agree that you should clean up after yourself. When we go down to see the fireworks and light off our own we always put them in a pile after they have cooled off and then put them in a bag to dispose of them at home. We also picked up after people who left theirs.

Did I pass the grammer police?lol
Posted by Brandi G Boggs (+41) 11 years ago
I was also hit by a firecracker this year and last. Where's your common sence people. people need to think about other's plus cars being in that area... Word of advise... DON'T GO SHOOTING OFF YOUR FREAKIN FIREWORKS NEXT TO CARS OR PEOPLE... I'm just waiting for a car to blow up one of these years due to someones stupidity.... THINK BEFORE YOU ACT.

[This message has been edited by Brandi G Boggs (7/7/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1279) 11 years ago
"That's that lump three feet above your ass!" - Jimmy Doogan
Posted by Jess Bradley (+208) 11 years ago
Ok I am going to add my rant to the post.
How about the idiots who set off fireworks in the middle of the street, a house and tree lined street! Wasn't it just a few years ago a house started on fire because of fireworks? ( Not sure but thought I had heard that) and before any one asks yes I called the police station, we are "'technically' out of city limits so there is nothing they could do but pass on the complaint to the Sheriffs dept." 2 hrs later, a car came by. they had just finished by then.
Thanks for letting me rant!! lol
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 11 years ago
If you are out of the city limits, you are out of the city limits. There is no "technically" about it. Yes, you may live in an area that abuts the city limits but out is out. It's like a little bit pregnant. You pay lower taxes because you don't get all the city services. If you want all the city services, get your subdivision annexed and pay up.

I hate to sound grumpy but I am annoyed by people who chose to live outside the city limits and then demand city services. Your choice, people.
Posted by Gwen Gunther (+107) 11 years ago
Glad to see this thread, we were at Bender Park yesterday for our daughter's softball game and were completely astounded at the disaster we found. The firework mess that was left to blow around was absolutely appalling. The softball and soccer associations work very hard to make that area a nice complex. Then someone decides to let people use it as one of the open fireworks areas and it gets trashed. Why can't people ever use some common sense and heaven forbid, common courtesy?!

[This message has been edited by Gwen Gunther (7/7/2010)]
Posted by Jess Bradley (+208) 11 years ago
I say "technically" because we have all city services and I often see city cop cars in this area as well as the dog catcher. ( Which i have had no run ins with, by the way) And it was not entirely what I call a 'choice' that we had when we moved where we live. If you haven't noticed it is not easy to find a decent place to live that is reasonably priced.
Posted by Lee Jackson (+55) 11 years ago
I live by Riverside Park also, and I am surprised that with the fireworks chaos there haven't been any serious injuries. I think it is only a matter of time.
As for the traffic it is not much different than after a Cowboy football game.
As for the noise, I am so used to sleeping through the train whistles that a few midnight fireworks just don't bother me.

[This message has been edited by Lee Jackson (7/9/2010)]