Verizon Phones
Posted by stef428 (+239) 10 years ago
I'm eligible for an upgrade; anyone have any suggestions as to any great phones?
Posted by Josh Rath (+2311) 10 years ago
Smartphones:
Blackberry Curve 8530
Palm Pre Plus
LG Ally
Motorola Droid
Blackberry Bold 9650

Non-Smartphones:
Samsung Alias 2
LG Env3
Samsung Reality
Posted by Smiley (+853) 10 years ago
dROID.
To be honest, ive had alot of issues with my droids. They are awesome, but they are flawed.
Posted by Smiley (+853) 10 years ago
Yeah, mine is having some issues already... it phantom calls people... and videos will randomly start playing. I'm praying for 2.2 july 13th
Posted by RA (+642) 10 years ago
I would recommend the LG - Envy Touch.......if texting is important to you, you will enjoy the LARGER key pad the Touch has!! Apps are also available.
Posted by Kacey (+3153) 10 years ago
Do it online. It is cheaper.
Not true Kacey. Most stores will actually match the online price. Our local store matched the Moto Droid release price for me, 200 dollars. Just had to do a mail-in-rebate. Not instant like online, but I can go to the store when I have an issue, VS talking to someone from india.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14818) 10 years ago
I just bought a new Verizon phone last week and spent considerable time researching and agonizing over the decision. Contrary to what all of the advertising might lead you to believe, the Verizon phone with the highest customer satisfaction in 2010 is the Blackberry Storm 2. I had a storm 1 when they first came out and they were junk. The storm 2 is a MUCH improved device. I am very happy with my purchase. First and foremost, it has excellent phone functions and reception. It has good text messaging capabilities in remote locations.

I personally would stay away from Android phones. I had a HTC Droid Eris that died 6 months after I bought it. (Another $450 down the drain. ) The OS is buggy, crashes frequently, and tends to hang up. It also dropped a lot of calls. The data on the Android phone is not very secure. Android shares a lot of info with 3rd party apps. Android seems to rely heavily on the GPS/Phone signal. If you get into remote locations, say 5 miles east of Bill, WY, you have some phone signal but because it has difficulty geo-locating you the phone will not function very well. I have an employee that bought a Motorola Droid and experienced the same issues. She returned it for a BB Bold 9650. Maybe if you never leave the city limits Android would be okay, but for my work I needed something MUCH more reliable.

I also considered the new BB Bold 9650. The only reason I didn't buy one of those is I couldn't read the keys without putting on my reading glasses. I can read the keys on the Storm 2 without my reading glasses.

http://www.phonerated.com...phones.php

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (7/6/2010)]
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+278) 10 years ago
my husband and i recently went through this process. i don't care for checking the internet on my phone, that's what i bought a laptop for. i do however text and need a phone with a keyboard. my biggest beef with verizon and all other carriers (as we priced service and phones with all carriers here in oregon) is that you have to have a data plan if you want a phone that is from this century.

i ended up purchasing an lg nv touch (buy one for $30, get one free- online, shipped next day.) if you are keen on purchasing a phone from a retailer, make sure they are not an independent contractor for verizon, they can't get you the best deals on the phones. you really have to pay $170 for the phone, not $30 for two.
I'm really wanting the new Incredible. Anyone have one yet?
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 10 years ago
I have an incredible which I have been using for about 3 months now (since whenever they came out) and I love it. I haven't experienced any of the issues that Richard mentioned. It has never crashed, ever. Keep in mind that the Eris has far less processing power than even the Droid and the Droid runs at half the speed of the incredible.

It does occasionally have some issues knowing where it is when I'm out in the sticks but the only thing that has affected for me is the HTC weather widget which is hardly a deal breaker. My only complaint so far is battery life, but that seems to be an issue with most of the new smart phones. I was able to buy 2 spare batteries for it on ebay for $10 so that is a pretty simple solution for that issue.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (7/7/2010)]
it's only $99 out of pocket!
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2003) 10 years ago
I was in the local Verizon store here in Minot this noon. And asked about the BB Storm 2. The older fella in the stoe asked me what I had now and I said I had a BB Storm. He said the BB Storm 2 had some issues they were trying to resolve. Didn't say what they were as other workers walked nearby. I decided I would go back at a time other then the lunch hour to see what the problem is. I have been very satisfied with the BB Storm but do need a new battery.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 10 years ago
Jitterbug anyone?