On to New Years Resolutions....
founder
Posted by Chad (+1758) 15 years ago
Christmas is over, Chanukah is over, I believe Kwanzaa is over. The days are finally getting longer and it's time to think about the year ahead.

What single new years resolution are you going to try and seriously commit to?

What one thing can you try to do to make your neighborhood or farmstead a better place?

What one thing can you do to make the community a better place?

What one thing can you do to make America a better place?

What one thing can you do to make the world a better place?

Five resolutions. Can you stick to any of them for a year? Can you make a change in your life or in someone Else's life for the better?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14821) 15 years ago
I hereby resolve to never let my ego make promises that my body cannot keep.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 12/27/2005).]
Posted by Beth (Petro) Oswald (+41) 15 years ago
My New Year's resolution this year is NOT to climb Mt. Everest. Also, to get to work before 8:00 a.m.
Posted by Brian (+355) 15 years ago
I resolve not to set myself up with rediculous expectations that I have no intention of following through with, but am only saying that I am going to do them to give myself a convoluted sense of improvement. That and I resolve to bring about the downfall of country music and drink more coffee.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16820) 15 years ago
>>What single new years resolution are you going to try and seriously commit to?

Get out hunting and fishing at least one day for every week of the year

>>What one thing can you try to do to make your neighborhood or farmstead a better place?

Shovel my sidewalk

>>What one thing can you do to make the community a better place?

Throw a couple of my backyard barbecue bashes this summer with smoked meats and homebrew.

>>What one thing can you do to make America a better place?

Not vote for any Republicans

>>What one thing can you do to make the world a better place?

Buy some poor African/Asian a goat. http://www.heifer.org/
founder
Posted by Chad (+1758) 15 years ago
Gunnar,

I like it! Works for me.

What single new years resolution am I going to try and seriously commit to: Lose some weight, hopefully so I can spend more life with my kids.

What one thing will I try to do to make my neighborhood or farmstead a better place: drive all over it with my kids selling Girl Scout Cookies. Then repeat the process to deliver them.

What one thing will I do to make the community a better place: Teach free sailing lessons again this summer at Spotted Eagle.

What one thing can you do to make America a better place: Vote with a blue state, like Gunnar.

What one thing can you do to make the world a better place: I'll buy only fair trade coffee and try to boycott OPEC oil by choosing companies that import oil only from Canada & Mexico.

That's my list.

[This message has been edited by Chad (edited 12/27/2005).]
Posted by MR (+387) 15 years ago
Seriously........cut up all my credit cards
help the neighborhood.......cut up all my credit cards
help the town...........cut up all my credit cards
help the country........cut up all my credit cards
help the world.........cut up all my credit cards

next year this time .....a little farther out of DEBT !!!!!!!
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Starkey (+241) 15 years ago
I just got a promotion "Administrative Aide".
My serious resolution should be to try to act like an adult.
That might be very difficult! Maybe impossible
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14821) 15 years ago
Congratulations Salli

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (edited 12/28/2005).]
Posted by Cori Schock (+7) 15 years ago
From my friend, Mattison Grey in Houston, TX

Stack the odds in your favor by incorporating these four simple ideas into your 2006 goal planning

1) Create Clarity. People often resolve to do things that are the conceptual idea they have attached to the thing they really want. For example: finding new ways to motivate employees is a good idea, but what is behind that idea? What is it that is really going on? Does the manager really want the employees to be more motivated or does he want the company to make more money, or reduce employee turnover, or improve morale? It could be any of these, yet the way he thinks that could happen is by better- motivated employees? He is saying and going for the wrong thing. The resolution should actually be to make 25% greater profits in 2006. The sub resolutions are things like 1) find ways to motivate employees 2) cut expenses by 10% 3) reduce turnover by 30%

2) Olympic Thinking. Once the resolution is made and clarity has been established, there has to be a deadline for that resolution to be complete. This deadline has to be controlled outside of the company or individual and has to happen whether the organization is ready or not. Just like the Olympics. If an athlete is training for the Olympics and they notice that they are not going to be ready, they can't call up the Olympic committee and say, "You know it looks like I may not be ready...can you just move my event back a couple of weeks?" This is not possible, so consequently the athletes are almost always ready for their events. In most businesses Olympic thinking doesn't exist and is the main reason resolutions don't get complete, goals, are not met and projects run over budget and miss the deadline.

3) Watching the Map. When people make resolutions, they say where they want to go, but are often unclear about where they are. If you are not clear where you are it is impossible to get were you want to go. For example, if I give you map of the United States and say, you can go anywhere in the continental US by car, where would you like to travel to? You choose San Diego, CA. Here is your map of the US, and you can clearly see San Diego, but you don't know where you are on the map. How long will it take you to get to San Diego? You might never make it. Now as soon as I say you are in Houston, Texas, how simple is it to find your way to San Diego? Pretty darn simple. It is virtually impossible to get where you want to go, if you don't know where you are.

4) The Stretch. Research proves that making attainable goals actually decreases the likelihood of success. Stretch goals make things more interesting and challenging for people. Locke et al. (1981) examined the behavioral effects of goal-setting, concluding that 90% of laboratory and field studies involving specific and challenging goals led to higher performance than easy or no goals. In fact I believe the reason most goals are not attained is that they are not challenging enough!

The big secret about traditional goal setting is that it doesn't work. If it did, more people would be achieving their goals, yet most people are not.
There is a huge difference between goal setting and goal achievement.
Try something different this year, try goal achievement.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1291) 15 years ago
In 1972 I resolved never to make a new years resolution, and so far I have been able to keep it.

[This message has been edited by Chuck Schott (edited 12/28/2005).]
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3665) 15 years ago
I resolve to never make anything as simple as a New Years Resolution as difficult or convoluted as Cori's friend has managed to do.