WOW a tornado hit Billings and the Metra
Posted by snickers (+821) 11 years ago
It looks pretty bad there and lots of destruction
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17178) 11 years ago
This even made the local Seattle television news.

Billings Gazette: Courtesy of Warren Diggnen
The walls and sign at the MetraPark were torn apart by the storm.
(Courtesy photo)

BILLINGS GAZETTE: Tornado rips through MetraPark, Heights
http://billingsgazette.co...03286.html
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1505) 11 years ago

Posted by Josh Rath (+2307) 11 years ago
Too bad. The Antique RoadShow was going to be there this saturday... Not anymore I suppose.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14970) 11 years ago
Just because of this, the MilesCam's "record" function is now on. You never know what might happen, and if something does, I want a video of it for as long as possible.
Posted by snickers (+821) 11 years ago
Posted by polar bear (+511) 11 years ago
Sorry, I did not see it already posted.
Posted by mule train (+1057) 11 years ago
holy poop! I haven't seen the roof blown off the Metra like that since Motley Crue during the Dr. Feelgood tour!
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2717) 11 years ago
Too bad. The Antique RoadShow was going to be there this saturday... Not anymore I suppose.

Well of course a tornado took the roof off the Metra because of this event. Who loves this type of thing besides those nasty homosexuals. God is just showing his wrath like he did with Katrina.

Wow Kelly, take your head out of your ass.
supporter
I guess I didn't use the correct emoticon to indicate my jest. "Eek" didn't cut it judging by Josh's reply. Maybe would have been better.
No, my attitude on the comment came from your use of "homosexuals". If you meant it as you said it, go to hell.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 11 years ago
That video is great.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 11 years ago
I can't believe they sat there that long to watch.
Just finished watching KTVQ's 10PM news. Amazing how damaged the arena is, considering they had footage of it from just 2 hours or so back, where it was perfect. Sad thing.
supporter
Josh,

If you knew me, you would know that I am probably one of the most liberal and progressive people living in Miles City. I am also not afraid of Hell as I am an atheist. It was tongue in cheek, thus the use of the emoticon. Your age is showing, once again.
Let me make this clear. I don't give a crap about my age showing at all. At least I have the balls to show my FULL name on this website. I do have alot of people that do not like me because of my attitude, but I also have alot who respect me for speaking my mind. So shove it.
I think we need to spray a little Prozac in the air here.
Posted by trey (+46) 11 years ago
imagine Josh, who knows all, makes everything negative and about him. No one in MC likes you let alone repects you.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6068) 11 years ago
Josh - Kelly was making a joke. Everyone knew he was making a joke.

You've got thicker skin than that. Ease up - you'll be happier.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+928) 11 years ago
I'm with you Rick. I was floored at watching the debris come closer and closer to the car. I'm thinking, run, no stay and keep taping, no run you fools, no stay, run!

I thought I was the only person who tipped a camera vertically while video taping. Or phone, whatever the person was using. I like the vertical (sideways) shot as you get the full effect of the funnel. I kept thinking "The Wizard Of Oz". That shot is just like when Dorothy is running back to the house in the old movie.
Posted by RA (+650) 11 years ago
The Billings tornado is among the top stories featured on MSN.com........
founder
Weather Channel had the YouTube video (wonder if the taper saw any residuals), and news on NPR. I was just re-watching the video. The first words, "Don't worry about taping." Glad the camera operator didn't listen. So, shot on what? Phone?
founder
Watched last night and the video count was in the 300s. Just now and it was 48,466.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14970) 11 years ago
Looks like it's time for a benefit concert featuring Stix and Smashing Pumpkins.
Posted by Smiley (+849) 11 years ago
Josh,
I wonder if you saved that wing box to prove Trey wrong LOL.
founder
Posted by James Shaw (+137) 11 years ago
Ya.. We were about a mile from the Tornado.

From our place (southside of Billings), we seen 3 try to form. One towards the westend, one by the refinery, and one north of us.

It was a freakin' scary event. I got a ton of pictures in my camera to post, not to mention the flash flooding all around town (up to knee-deep).

The underpass (Montana and 6th) was completely flooded. I even seen a car floating in it, even though all I could see is the top of the roof.

The Metra is rather trashed. FasBreak Glass is.. No longer there.. Along with a few other businesses. The side of Main going towards Billings was closed, so I had to drive to Huntley in order to head back to Billings.

I'm not sure about this morning, but there was debris everywhere along Main street. It consisted of mostly insulation and bent signs and smashed poles.

I'll post more here when I get more information. Right now, I'm glad it wasn't more serious.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 11 years ago
Kelly, you slay me.

Josh, you don't have a clue.
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 11 years ago
Kelly,
The tornado was not funny. Nothing to joke about. How about one thread without someone having to go completely off track to make some assinine comment.
Smiley, I don't have the boxes but I have images...

"Your awesome no matter what people on MC.Com Say! =)"
Posted by Tracy Walters (+304) 11 years ago
Not getting much mention due to the massive damage to the businesses is the hail storm we had at the same time. I live a few blocks from the Metra myself, and we had golf ball or larger hail. Both my cars were hit pretty hard and are going to take extensive repairs. Glad I have insurance, but the $500 deductible on each is gonna hurt.

Lots of homes and businesses had floods in them too...water damage is so hard to get rid of....there won't be enough resources or equipment in the area to dry out buildings...so mold is going to be an issue.

A lot of vehicles, homes and businesses took hail and flood damage...it's going to take a lot of repairs to get things back to normal.

When I came to work this morning and drove by the Metra, there were men up on the power poles still trying to get the power on. My wife works at Applebees right across from the Metra and they didn't have power this morning. She has spent the day cleaning up debris blown onto the Applebees area from the Metra. The roof insulation foam from the roof of the Metra is spread over a large area...it made quite a mess. My wife just called as I was typing this...they're sending them home, but plan on opening Applebees tonight...they did get power back about mid-morning.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11808) 11 years ago
The roof on the Metra was new. Extra foam insulation, too.

What is really terrifying is the way the tornado just kept hanging there! Somehow, in my imagination, they should be zipping along, not just popping up and down and up and down. Shudder.

Mother Nature likes to remind us now and then who is really in charge.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10002) 11 years ago
Wow, that is absolutely amazing -- very sad to see. I can't count the number of times I've been in the Metra. I lived in Billings when it was originally constructed. We used to go to the hockey games along with a lot of the other stuff hosted there.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 11 years ago
Lots of memories for me, too. However, I didn't know it changed its name - I only remember it as MetraPark Arena.

Saw my first concert there - Ricky Nelson with my parents. Oak Ridge Boys years later when "Elvira" was their big song. After that... teenage rock concerts like there was no tomorrow.

Scary thing is that place was designated an emergency shelter - probably a good thing people didn't make a dash for it to get out of the severe winds! Such a shame.
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+387) 11 years ago
What's even worse is the same kind of weather is forecast for the same area again today. TWC had Miles City as a 4 out of 10 chance at seeing a tornado today. Hang onto your hats people, I don't think it's over just yet!
I saw the Beach Boys there. One of the most memorable concerts I have attended.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9224) 11 years ago
See? If there'd been more wholesome entertainers such as the Beach Boys and the Statler Brothers, instead of a bunch of gay bears like the Oak Ridge Boys and twinks like Ricky Nelson, the Metra would still be with us.
admin
founder
I hate to admit, but I witnessed Tom Jones in concert there, he in a white outfit on a circular rotating stage in the middle of the floor. At some point a random chick threw her panties on stage, which as far as I recall, he mostly ignored -- other than offering his typical big smile.

As I mentioned to someone else, I'm no structural engineer, however it appears to me from the photos that the Metra may have to be demolished and rebuilt. It was getting a bit old anyway. If the city has the proper insurance, then certainly a better arena will eventually show up.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2052) 11 years ago
Kiss, Anne Murray, ZZ Top, Marshall Tucker Band
admin
founder
My first concert there I believe had Heart as the warm up band (before they became super famous, and now they're not so famous anymore). Not sure who the main act was. I also think I saw ZZ Top there twice (years apart). Bachman-Turner Overdrive, though if I get started I'll have to strain my brain to come up with more. But, hey, I did see Donny and Marie there too -- woo! Not to mention various Ice Capades, rodeos, monster truck rally type stuff, etc.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1906) 11 years ago
AC/DC, Aerosmith, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, Cheap Trick....
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1796) 11 years ago
The best concert I've ever been to was there...Def Leppard (Hysteria Tour) with Tesla as the opener. The stage was set smack-dab in the middle instead of off to the north side...not a bad seat to be had.

As to it's current state, I'm sure it'll get rebuilt if need be...for all the events held there it was/is econically viable.
Posted by trey (+46) 11 years ago
GARTH BROOKS!!!!! The Eagles! Credence Clearwater Revisted (I know, I know) It would be Elton John if Billings people weren't biggots
Posted by Cris Hrabak (+62) 11 years ago
Great White and Whitesnake, Megadeth, Monster Magnet and Sevendust!!
Posted by Jill Olson (+20) 11 years ago
They are still having the Antique Roadshow at the Metra, it's just going to be one of the other buildings.
Indeed Jill.

The Roadshow will be in the Expo Center. Apparently it was only cosmetically damaged.
Posted by Kimberly D. Reiger (+72) 11 years ago
Aerosmith, Skid Row, Jackyl, Tesla, Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn, Reba, Oak Ridge Boys, Mark Chesnutt, Travis Tritt and Mary Stewart, Puddle of Mudd, Theory of a Deadman, Halestorm, Chevelle, Shinedown, Staind, Def Leppard, Scorpions in August and hopefully Shinedown, Chevelle, Puddle of Mudd, Sevendust and Ten years....still waiting to hear about that one **fingers crossed**!