'Cause we haven't had a religion thread in forever
supporter
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 11 years ago
I'm too A.D.D. to read the entire epic ~ what's it say, what's it SAY?
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9297) 11 years ago
In a nutshell: the Bible has way more to say about money than it does about sex, that the Bible is the map of the terrain, not the terrain itself, and that if you're having a hard time reconciling reality to what the map says is reality, then perhaps you're holding the map upside down.

It's a pretty quick read, actually, and the nutshell view can't do it any real justice.

Also, apropos of nothing: http://womensrights.chang...arital_sex
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 11 years ago
**Yawn**
supporter
Actually Richard, I posted these with you in mind. I think you might actually agree with the bulk of what he has to say.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 11 years ago
Maybe Richard isn't interested in religion anymore...He isn't wanting to take up this discussion at least...
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4457) 11 years ago
He's right on a couple of things, which makes it easier for him to use a sleight of hand to jump to the conclusion he wants.

In a nutshell: the Bible has way more to say about money than it does about sex, that the Bible is the map of the terrain, not the terrain itself, and that if you're having a hard time reconciling reality to what the map says is reality, then perhaps you're holding the map upside down.

Another nutshell reading: If the map says you're in Texas, but you'd rather be in Florida, then the map changes to confirm that you're really in Florida, just as you'd hoped.

If he'd stick to saying one sin was as bad as the next, he'd have a point. But he seems to be saying the volume of material itself somehow makes one thing grave sin, and another as if it'd never been mentioned at all.

The tax code is infinitely more complex than any federal or state murder statute. I doubt anyone would argue that the tax code being more voluminous means cheating your taxes is far more terrible than murder.

It has just as much to do with the difficulty and application of the topic.

I couldn't read all of it though. The first link didn't work for some reason, and I didn't see a link back on the 2nd page.
supporter
If you didn't read the whole thing, then I don't really think you can make much of a commentary upon it.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15076) 11 years ago
Maybe Richard isn't interested in religion anymore...He isn't wanting to take up this discussion at least...

No, Howdy I am still interested in religion. But I have also learned that a closed mouth gathers no feet. Honestly, there have been a series of events in the last couple of months that are causing me to reevaluate much of what I believe about God, the Bible, and religion.

Right now I am not sure of much of anything. I feel somewhat trapped by much of what I have believed to this point. I'm going to have to figure out whether the chaos that will result by a modification of my worldview is worth the price and will bring more fulfillment and personal satisfaction or if I just live with the status quo, because it isn't worth the hassle to change.

Referring to the second story, IMO, the school was wrong to fire the teacher for "fornication". More relationships are damaged than are validated with such an approach.
supporter
. I feel somewhat trapped by much of what I have believed to this point. I'm going to have to figure out whether the chaos that will result by a modification of my worldview is worth the price and will bring more fulfillment and personal satisfaction

Yes.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 11 years ago
So sorry to hear of your troubles, Richard...Whatever the outcome, I am sure you will make the best decision for yourself...
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17424) 11 years ago
Here's a corrected link to "Part 1":

http://slacktivist.typepa...art-1.html
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17661) 11 years ago
I knew it was a bad idea for Richard to read On the Origin of Species.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4457) 11 years ago
You stay classy, Gunnar Emilsson.

Alright, part 1's read now. Didn't bring much different to mind for me, other than background.

1. I'm not sure his personal example of "usury" really meets even the old definition.

2. The usury thing doesn't matter all that much to the discussion because even Jesus made the point that the spirit of the law trumped the letter (of the old law), so obviously examples exist (this just wasn't a good one)

3. The flawed part of all this is that while he's correctly saying there can be a difference between the letter of the (old) law and the spirit. He reaches too far when he basically follows up by saying that, because of this dilemma, all is gobbledygook. You can believe whatever you want, regardless of whether you run it through the spirit vs letter filter (or any other biblical reasoning)

The result is everyone ends up with their own book. It's no longer a faith, but a form of self-justification.