Youth and Vulgar language
Posted by kkec (+134) 12 years ago
Miles City isn't even a place where we can enjoy a nice bike ride anymore. One evening after watching a softball game a friend and myself were riding our bikes home. We were on the correct side of the street and out of traffic. A red grandam with teenage boys pulled up beside us and said you ought to pedal faster you f'n b's. I shouted back get a life. They gunned their engine then slammed on their brakes and shouted lots of vulgar things at us. Then they squeeled their tires and took off. On one other occasion, My friend and her two children ages 6 and 11 were riding their bikes during the day and a red small pickup again with teenage boys pulled up and started shouting vulgar things at them. Her children were scared because they thought they might come back and hurt them. We try to keep our children safe by watching what they view on tv and keep our own language clean. Then we leave our homes and get cussed out for nothing. What is our small community coming to? There is no respect for anyone anymore. When I was a teenager, I would never have been caught dead talking to an adult that way and if my mother would have found out...............
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3708) 12 years ago
It's one of the joys of cycling, and not just in Miles City. My theory was always that teenagers had only recently graduated from being "stuck" on a bike to being able to drive a car so they feel superior to people on bicycles. I can't count how many times kids have come up and yelled at me trying to scare me, thrown stuff at me, attempted to pour water on me (this doesn't work btw, they always just dumped it on their car) or swearing at me. I always took comfort in the knowledge that teenagers are all morons.
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2766) 12 years ago
Next time get the license plate.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12108) 12 years ago
There have always been jackasses. Like vandals, the kids who scream out swear words are trying to make themselves feel powerful when they know in their heart they are nothing. But I'd still make note of the license plate and file a complaint. If nothing else, their parents might make them go back to bikes.
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Moore (+77) 12 years ago
Back in the day, mothers could stay home and raise the kids; "family" was a secure and safe place (usually). Now, there is such a battle to illuminate God from everything, no wonder "it's all about ME".
supporter
Posted by GW (+436) 12 years ago
You should live by the high school and when they get out of class to run across the street and smoke their cigs, you wouldn't believe the laungage that comes out of their mouths. The girls are just as bad if not worse than the boys.
Posted by Leif Hope (+91) 12 years ago
eliminate? is that the word you wanted instead of illuminate?
Posted by Steve Allison (+977) 12 years ago
Some years ago Amorette and I were standing in line for an R rated movie in Bozeman. There were two young men, obviously too young to attend this movie without parent consent, in line ahead of us. When they were asked for ID they started a stream of vulgar language about how they had left their IDs at home. They seamed to think the vulgarities made them appear older but it just drove home the fact they were too young. Everyone in line and the ticket person had a good laugh when they left in a huff. Proper use of vulgarities may be a sign of maturity but over use is a sure sign of immaturity. Sad thing is some never learn the proper use.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9380) 12 years ago
There's a difference between being a rude jackass and using the procreate-word. Let's not conflate the two.
Posted by Tracy P. (+94) 12 years ago
I agree there are a lot of young kids out there who are using vulgar language. However, my son along with his dad and his two nephews were out at Spotted Eagle Friday fishing. This older couple came to fish later, sat right beside them, and the lady was cussing non stop. My husband packed up the kids and brought them home. I guess we have some adults who set a great example.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2313) 12 years ago
If someone had done that to me on a bike, I would grab my cell and call my friend at dispatch... Well... Aunt. Give her the license plate number, and problem solved.
Posted by Tracy Walters (+298) 12 years ago
I have always believed the adage - 'Profanity is the last refuge of the ignorant' If you can't find a way to say what you mean or explain yourself without using profanity, then what you were going to say probably isn't worth saying anyway. These kids, as others have intimated, are most likely suffering from inflated egos.

We've had a problem with vandalism in Billings recently...I nearly caught them at 4 am on Sunday morning ... driving by in their car with a loud stereo blaring and shooting paint ball guns at cars and houses.
Posted by Ang (+443) 12 years ago
I have come across a few groups of boys that can't be more than 11 or 12 that have this problem. They cuss at each other and others like sailors. It's really a terrible thing to see.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9380) 12 years ago
Were none of you people children once? And nary a profanity escaped your lips? Liars, every procreateing one of you.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1522) 12 years ago
[QUOTE]Were none of you people children once? And nary a profanity escaped your lips?[/QUOTE]
Posted by polar bear (+505) 12 years ago
What is the proper use of vulgarities? Do I not understand the word?
supporter
Posted by Emilie Boyles (+253) 12 years ago
When I was a young, know-it-all kid, I remember going through a phase with friends at the age of 7 or 8 of both finding 64-dollar word insults usually with strong Latin or Hebrew origins and making up insulting words just so we could laugh at those not smart enough to know what they were being called (and generally those heckled were the ones who bullied those of us with pocket protectors and tape around our eyeglasses). Looking back, the need to swear then reminds me of TJ Ditwiler's word "WHOMPS" on the Disney Show Recess.

However, by the time the kids are as old as described in this thread it gives me quite a sense of satisfaction that their limited vocabulary and behaviors are likely to keep them out of my own social circles and with that I pleasantly smile, nod, and say "thank you" to them. Nothing offends someone using vulgar language more than a big smile and a kind word...sometimes even freaks them out!

Just My Opinion.
Posted by Kacey (+3155) 12 years ago
What I find so sad is lack of respect. I would have NEVER thought of yelling an obscenity at a passing car or person when I was growing up. First of all, I had better things to do with my time. And it was important to be a person that others respected. Apparently now it doesn't matter if others are shown respect or if you are worthy of respect. Sad. So Sad.
Posted by mercy me (+135) 12 years ago
Emelie- I love it!! I do just the same, smile and wave. The indignant look on their face is priceless.
founder
supporter
My father said that every word had its place. Problem if, if you insert the really bad ones into your casual conversation, you have nothing left for emergencies. If you use the Queen Mother of All Swear Words all the time, what do you say when you drop an anvil on your foot?

Smile and wave at the children for they are stupid and are hoping for an offended reaction. Then get the license plate number.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4952) 12 years ago
Once years ago a kid used the F word with me and I said "do you even know where that term comes from?" He said "uh, no"....so I said it is an English Medical Term that stands for "for unlawful carnal knowledge"....He looked completely puzzled and I said " if you wish to use that word at least know what it means"...He never again used that word with me LOL.....
supporter
by the way, it really doesn't stand for that....that is just a rumor or urban legend that it does...LOL...
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17814) 12 years ago
You have been listening to too much Van Halen, howdy.
supporter
LOL, Gunnar...
Posted by Jess Bradley (+198) 12 years ago
Were none of you people children once? And nary a profanity escaped your lips? Liars, every procreateing one of you.

Yes, and I did my share of cussing, but my parents also taught me respect and if I would have used the words I hear in the places I hear them, I would have gotten my but beat and grounded!! Of course I was from a smaller town than Miles and everyone knew who to tell if they heard!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 12 years ago
I didn't swear much until I went to college. I think I probably swore around my friends but it never occurred to me to shout obscenities at passers-by.
Posted by Tracy Walters (+298) 12 years ago
Yes...I was guilty of an occasional swear word when younger, but I didn't use them in nearly as a profligate manner as many young people do today. Nor do my kids, or my grandson.

I still occasionally use a swear word...and I don't necessarily feel good about it afterward. But I sure don't use them in mixed company and not around strangers for shock value, nor do I accept them as part of my daily language.

Today, I was sitting in a seminar in downtown Billings (MSU Broadway II) by plate glass windows looking onto the sidewalk. A man came by using extremely profanity in a very loud (not quite shouting) voice. It was so shocking that the person speaking at the seminar had to stop.

I've seen kids do the same...and I think they start doing it to shock people, and then it becomes part of the their daily discourse. It's not acceptable behavior in most company, but like many things today, we're tolerating it...and the fact that we are tolerating these things does change society....and, in my opinion, for the worse.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2107) 12 years ago
I learned it all in the Navy ...and I like gravy.
founder
supporter
Someone just walking down the street cursing to the air is probably ill. These kids aren't ill. Just jackasses.
Posted by sdrew (+236) 12 years ago
I cussed at my sister once when I was about 7. My dad washed my mouth out with a bar of soap. I guess it was because I cussed at my sister, 'cuz dad cussed like the proverbial sailor!
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2655) 12 years ago
I just can't let it go, Josh you wouldn't ever have a problem with kids yelling vulgar language at you while on a bike cause you don't ride one remember. LOL J/K All in good humor Josh I own a bike just don't ride the thing. LOL