Southgate Road
supporter
Posted by C.Kee (+372) 11 years ago
The truck wash is about up at Southgate. Our road is a mess, a road that was not designed for trucks. When the trucks start rolling in and out, well I can't even imagine, with the blind corner from Broadus. I'm glad we don't have a big truck because they sure wouldn't be getting any business from me. POOR PLANNING!
Posted by Joe Smity (+110) 11 years ago
No regulations against it and it's zoned for that type of business. Planning was done right. If you don't like the neighborhood was planned, talk the to folks that developed that neighborhood and ask why they only developed one road in/out? If you don't like the way the area along the road is zoned, bring it to the City/County Planning Board and the Zoning Commission.
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2618) 11 years ago
Cann't make everyone happy
supporter
Have your laughs, whatever but when we moved here 18 years ago, there was not one commercial business. When Coke and such moved in, no big deal but if you lived out here and had semis tearing up the road you had to drive on everyday and will now have to wait for, it might make you think different. Did we know all that was zoned commercial? No, guess I wasn't as smart as you.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11610) 11 years ago
That is one of the questions lots of home buyers forget to ask. What is the zoning? Is it appropriate? What can be constructed near me? If the buildings are in zones that are appropriate for them, there is nothing to be done. You can't change the zoning now. You could have protested when the plans were first presented to the planning board but you probably won't have had legal grounds, if the property where the business was was zoned for that business.

Why doesn't Southgate have two access roads? Details like that were overlooked a LOT in the 1970's. There is some very strange zoning around Miles City as a consequence.

I sympathize that you are unhappy but aside from building another access road, I doubt there is any legal recourse for Southgate residents.
supporter
Thanks for taking the time to respond Amorette. When we bought our home, we looked at the zoning to be sure and it was all single home dwellings around us. I did not know the road leading into Southgate was zoned commercial - there wasn't anything there. I wouldn't have cared if it were commercial anyway as it isn't in my back yard; it was a road. It's the fact that if these people can afford a big building and business, they should be able to afford to make the road useable for all of us - the one they have torn up.

From what I have heard, Southgate developers had plans for two roads, parks, etc., but AFTER it was developed, they were unable to gain access for the second road and ran out of money to put parks in. I am not looking at legal recourse, I am just frustrated at driving in mud, pot holes and it is only the beginning. Thanks for listening or as some might say "whining."
Posted by Josh Rath (+2313) 11 years ago
I know you won't like this answer, but I drive out to south gate every night, when I am bored. Your road is in better condition that ALOT of roads in town. Be happy it is paved. I don't see what is the problem with it, besides that washboardish part right when you turn onto it from the Highway. If that is your big problem, quit complaining and fill it it. That solves the problem quick.
supporter
Josh, you amaze me! You actually wrote a nice post. The "washboardish part" of the road is from the new business having sewer put in. Josh, don't you think if I had access to a paving crew, I would have the road repaired and presto!! no problem and then I would have nothing to complain about; thanks for solving my problem - almost.
Posted by MG (+113) 11 years ago
I have an idea Josh, how about the next time you take a drive out there you just bring a trunk load of asphalt along with you and fix'er right up.
I didn't mean a paving crew. I mean, take a bit of dirt and pack it down into the washboarding parts. Make it smooth. We have to do that on our dirt road everytime after the rain, otherwise it is horrible to drive on.
Posted by mtgman (+90) 11 years ago
Josh..Rain + dirt = mud
I'm aware. And also you should be aware you live in montana. You should EXPECT mud. I live on a dirt road, not by choice, but I do. Do I complain my bright blue car is covered in mud after rain? nope. Why? Because it is a car. It''s not meant to stay clean. It's meant to be used. Oh boohoo. Your car got a little muddy. Big whoop. That is what a carwash is for.
founder
supporter
You may know computers, grasshopper, but road construction is NOT your forte! Aside from the city and/or county not being thrilled with someone just filling in mud on a paved road, there are complex structural elements involved in the correct base and underlayment to prevent the washboarding from getting worse. Just dumping in dirt might make it much, much worse and therefore, more expensive to repair. If the road was broken to install a sewer line, then someone, probably the person for whom the sewer main was intended, is legally required to repair the road.

This is the busy road construction season in Montana. There is ONE paving company that works around here and they are booked from first thaw to final freeze. It is very likely the road WILL be repaired as soon as a crew is available.

Do NOT just "dump dirt in the holes!" You will discover the meaning of legal liability if you do and that is somewhere you do not want to go. Ask the county road foreman when/if the repairs is scheduled or talk to the owners of the business. They tore up the road. They have contracted to have it replaced. They may know exactly what the problem is and intend to fix it but haven't been able to hire an actual experienced, bonded crew to do so.
founder
supporter
And, yes, Southgate never was developed the way it was planned and it wasn't all that well planned to begin with. There are some very interesting legal issues behind it all that I am not stupid enough to discuss on a public forum but it was not anyone's shining hour.
Alright then. Hows this. We have informed who we have needed to OVER AND OVER about our dirt road. They smooth it out, and it rains the next day. What does this cause? Washboarding and huge holes in our road, plus a bump the size of a curb to get into our driveway. The people who keep the dirt roads up are absolutely horrible at their job, at least on our road.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9071) 11 years ago
Josh... quit while you're ahead on this one...
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14884) 11 years ago
Southgate Meadows is what happens when developers and civil engineers ignore agronomists and soil surveys.
founder
supporter
No kidding, Richard. One of the big issues around Miles City is where to expand the town. Can't go west because of Fort Keogh. Trouble up north due to water issues and the commute. Slippery clay soils to the south. Glendive to the east.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9071) 11 years ago
The Glendivian Menace is always with us.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+594) 11 years ago
Is Southgate within the city limits? An application of crushed gravel in the holes will help. If this project is still under construction some mess is to be expected. Bear with the process and have patience.

Since it is a state highway the only entity that can allow another entrance is the state highway department. They are olso the people to contact if you are worried about traffic speed and the 'blind' curve at the rise to the south. Perhaps a lower speed limit starting at the cemetary road ?
supporter
Thanks, and yes, it is in the city limits.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+759) 11 years ago
If it really is a state-owned roadway you will have a good chance of getting some results by complaining (nicely) directly to the office of (my friend, ex-employer and customer) Mr. Jim Lynch, Director of MDOT. Just look him up at mt.gov.com. You'll need to add a lot of patience to your order, Montana's roadways need a lot of help and money thrown at 'em. I think the problem you're experiencing is pretty common with modern expansion and growth. Some communities have adopted rules forcing new businesses to pay for road improvements. Very controversial nightmare in some cases. Good luck, I know what you're going through.
supporter
Thank you so much, Jeff. I appreciate your time and advice.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+594) 11 years ago
59 South is indeed a state highway. Dont know if the southgate access road is city or county though..
supporter
Thanks again, I'm checking into it.