Implosion of the Big12
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14936) 11 years ago
As a graduate from one of the colleges in the Big 12 (K-State), I am sad to see the implosion of the Big 12. There is a lot of tradition and many long time rivalries that will go down the drain. Also, wondering what conference K-State will play.

Thoughts?
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5104) 11 years ago
Richard:

Hard to say.

The only things K-State has going for it are that it's a land grant college and its travel partner is Kansas. Politically, I can't see Kansas going anywhere without K-State.

Kansas has cache merely because of its premier basketball program. Football, not so much.

I see Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Baylor as being left out if Texas decides to go to the Pac-10 (Pac-16?). Texas is driving the bus. If Texas stays put, the Big 12 will survive.

Maybe the Mountain West???
supporter
More random thoughts.

Baylor will go to Conference USA.

The Big 10 wants Missouri, but won't take Iowa State (b/c of Iowa) or the Kansas teams (no big TV markets).

The Mountain West is the only conference that would make sense for Kansas, K-State, and the Cyclones.

The Mountain West was pursuing Boise State, but stepped back a couple of weeks ago - I'm guessing they think they can get the leftovers from the Big 12...
Posted by Stacie Miller (+240) 11 years ago
They stepped back from Boise State because it doesn't meet the academic standards necessary to be a member of the Mountain West. I grew up there and have been following the stories.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9125) 11 years ago
The Mountain West was supposed to begin consideration last weekend, but, according to the Statesman, decided to back off due to the uncertain nature of conference expansion, not because of academic concerns. They certainly may have these concerns, but right now money is the driving factor.
supporter
So much for that...according to cbssports.com and ESPN Radio, Boise State has agreed to join the Mountain West conference.

As a college football fan, I like it.

Boise State vs. TCU, Utah, and BYU every year. Good matchups, all. This will also get the Mountain West over as a BCS conference.
supporter
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9125) 11 years ago
Now there's an open slot for the Griz in the WAC...
Posted by Dan Siegfried (+64) 11 years ago
I am also an alumni of one of the outsiders, probably the biggest (ISU) and like you said I think it all now depends on what Texas decides to do. If they go so does the Big 12 and I think a lot of the outsiders (if not all) end up in the MWC as well. If all those Texas and Oklahoma schools do go to the PAC-16, it will also be interesting to see what other dominoes begin to fall. Will the SEC just stand at 12 or will they raid the ACC? Then would the ACC raid the Big East? All kinds of crazy scenarios could happen. I'm hoping they don't.

Assuming Nebraska does officially leave the Big 12 will have 10 teams and the Big Ten will have 12 teams. Crazy.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17125) 11 years ago
Good riddance to the Big 12. The crap that went on to dissolve the old Southwest Conference in 1996 was shameful. I glad that it has turned on the Big 12 (which once upon a time was the Big 8).
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+281) 11 years ago
Change is always a little disconcerting at first. This certainly is to me. But in a couple of years we will be hard pressed to remember who was where back in 2010.
I certainly hope they don't call it the "PAC - 16. I have always held the belief that your state must border the Pacific if you are in the PAC - 10. Pac being short for Pacific. I was never comfortable with the Arizona schools being in the PAC - 10. Texas, and other schools 1000 miles from the pacific can't be part of the PAC - anything. As long as they change the name to correctly reflect the geographic diversity of the new conference, I am ok with it. And, I really don't know what I would call it given the chance.
It's like watching a newscast about tornadoes ravaging the "Midwest" and learning that they are talking about Kentucky. Buy a freaking globe people, and learn how to use it.
Plus, being a Washington Husky fan for several decades now, I can't wait to see the dawgs play Texas and Oklahoma and Colorado more often. Better competition on a yearly basis will only help the former PAC - 10 teams. And this change will also force ESPN to ditch some of their west coast bias. Thats good for all sports fans out west.
Posted by mule train (+1053) 11 years ago
I just heard...Grizzlies to join Pac-10!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1902) 11 years ago
In your dreams, muley.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1779) 11 years ago
I'll say this: I hate Boise State and have hated them for many years due to my being a Montana alum; Boise was a more hated Big Sky rival in my days as a student than even the Bobcats were...it was particularly satisfying to me to see the Griz WAX the Broncos twice at Wash-Griz Stadium back then. Neither of those games were even close!...but I digress.

That said, this move to the Mountain West WILL bolster Boise's claim to have a right to compete for a football national championship. Up until now, when the Bronco faithful have been whining for respect for winning the 2007 and 2010 Fiesta Bowls and even claiming a right to a share of the national championship for those years, I just shrugged and said: "whatever! you play a cream-puff WAC schedule and only have to get-up for the bowl game which follows an easier schedule than any of the the other BCS teams have to play. Join a tougher conference than the WAC and THEN gripe about being denied a share of the national championship. Until then, just shut up and be content to be the champions of a weak conference!" Well, to their credit, they have joined a stronger conference and are taking the action they needed to take.

I guarantee that a guantlet of opponents that includes Utah, BYU, Texas Christian and Air Force will carry more clout in the eyes of the BCS than one with the likes of Idaho, Nevada, Hawaii and Fresno State (with all due respect to the Sweeneys...the Bulldogs aren't what they were when Jim was coaching).

This is Boise State saying "you think our schedule is too weak to warrant our claim to championship status? Fine, here's what we'll do to beef it up." I give the University credit where it's due - they're taking action to back it up.

The bad news for them is twofold: 1. Boise STILL has to play in the WAC one more season before they officially become a MTN West member. So, even if they win-out in 2010, they still won't likely get even a share of the national title due to the weak schedule...and Boise hardly lost any players at all from a squad which went undefeated in 2009, so their chances of going undefeated again in 2010 are very good...but could be all for naught if that comes to pass. 2. The timing of it still casts a shadow over Boise because they didn't oficially join the MTN West until AFTER Colorado bolted the Big 12 for the Pac 10, and Nebraska left the Big 12 for the Big 10...THOSE 2 teams are dominating the headlines and nobody outside of Boise really cares much about the Broncos change in conference....kinda sad, ya know?

I'm also wondering what will now happen to the Big 12 from here-on. If any Texas schools defect to another conference, they're through.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17125) 11 years ago
Matt Schmitz writes:
Change is always a little disconcerting at first.

True, but the southwestern conference existed from 1914-1996. 82 years. Big time college football money greed ended that.

So why would anyone care about what conference their alma mater/favorite team is in, so long as it positions themselves towards a higher BCS computer-generated score?

The point I am trying to make, is that the whole BS BCS system has unraveled the conferences......and I hope the miserable buttwipes at the NCAA level go down with the Big 12.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4460) 11 years ago
I can't imagine with this whole tearing apart of 1A across the country, now would be the time the Griz would want to think about moving up.

If the day of the megaconference is here, moving up just to be perpetually locked out of the system wouldn't sound all that enticing.

I'm not even sure how the MWC, or even the ACC etc will stand up if this all goes down... never mind even smaller kids like the WAC. That is if all the predictions of 4 megaconferences pan out, anyway.
supporter
I could see the Griz going to the WAC...not that it would be that great a move.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1779) 11 years ago
It has just been announced on espn that Texas has said no to the Pac 10 and will stay-put in the Big 12-minus-two or whatever they'll be called. Texas A&M has not yet ruled-out defecting to the SEC, however. Big 12 also hasn't ruled-out going after another team or 2 to replace departed Nebraska and Colorado....the plot thickens.
supporter
The Big 12 Implosion was more like a little pop. I see Texas turned down the offer to join the Pac 10.
supporter
Posted by JCF (+390) 11 years ago
So we end up with the Big 12 having ten teams, and the Big 10 having twelve teams. Only in America Baby!!