Posted by Cheryl Thompson (+61) 16 years ago
Is there currently a skating rink in Miles City, and if not is there any buildings large enough to open one. Thank You TONY
Posted by Dan (+458) 16 years ago
there is an indoor rink that the hockey teams play on and I think they also offer open skating, too. Not sure though, but I bet someone closer to the hockey assiciation to chime in give you a for sure...
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 16 years ago
There is an indoor Hockey rink and they do offer open skating to all. Times?? There is also an outdoor rink behind Denton Field. It is free and open to the public when weather allows for it.
founder
Posted by Chad (+1758) 16 years ago
If you're asking about a roller rink there were several. None are open any more. Most have been torn down or had their floors torn up. I'm not sure if the rink Dave Thompson had near Riverside Park still has it's floor in it or not???

The whole roller skating and in-line skating thing is about dead around here- nowhere to skate. There are some skateboarders that make due with the sidewalks and streets around here, but they could really use a small skate-park to keep them off the walks and to grow the sport around here.
Yes I am asking about a Roller Skating Building, sorry I did'nt make that clear the first time. Any Help Thank You Cheryl Thompson
Posted by Sod Buster (+101) 16 years ago
forget roller skating...the thing to do is wait until the police are busy arresting the drunks downtown, then take a '78 Impala and see how many 360's you can do going down the ice skating rink hill.
the building that housed the skating rink across from the park is for sale, like someone mentioned earlier though dont know if the skating surface is intact, I am guessing probably not. We also used to skate in a church by Washington Middle School, dont know the name of it though off the top of my head.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 16 years ago
Probably First Baptist or Episcopal.
Posted by Russell Bonine (+241) 16 years ago
Roller Skating in a Church? That's just too easy! H.. R..
Posted by Carol (+150) 16 years ago
The floor in the old Roller Rink by the Park is gone and the building is not fit to house anything. It's so run down, holes in the walls, ceiling fixtures hanging a falling mess to come, the roof not in good shape either leaks and the SMELL!!! It could kill a person.
I don't think anyone could ever get that stench out. It's to bad that the owners of the building didn't take pride and keep the building up. Now we have another place to watch fall apart in time.
I'm surprise that it hasn't started housing kids beer party or homeless/transit to take up shelter.

Good luck on sale of this building. It's a wreck.
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Starkey (+241) 16 years ago
Russell, could that have been for "Holy Rollers"?
I remember great dances on Friday and Saturday nights at the Episcopal Hall when I was in Jr. High.
re: the smell of the old roller rink - its amazing to me how many structures have been made useless by that particular business that occupied the old rink for a time. Wonder if the County Sanitarian has any say it situations like that? there were many occasions I wanted to browse through those business' looking for a neat antique or some cool old junk but couldnt stand the smell...
It sounds like I opened a debate on the roller rink building. It also sounds like from the stinch/smell comming out of the building they used to rent skates and it is dirty feet smell gone bad, Looks like I am going to have to look at opening a rink in Billings instead....But I like the new name of the rink (HOLY ROLLERS) it's catching.
supporter
There are PLENTY of empty buildings in Miles City in which you could open a skating rink. Billings is a much bigger city and already has several rinks. I would start a new business where there is no competition.
Posted by Russell Bonine (+241) 16 years ago
Salli, you had me pegged on that one.

So if you go with the "Holy Roller" theme, can you still play limbo? I don't think that it is one of their doctrines.
Posted by Jon Bonine (+165) 16 years ago
Limbo might be a little too Catholic
supporter
No, but you can play hell on wheels.
Posted by Carol (+150) 16 years ago
Miles City needs a roller rink. It's sad that they don't have one. I had fun when the old rink was open. It's great for the young and old!!!
Please don't take the roller rink to Billings they have enough things to do up there. We need more things for our Miles City kids to do and this would great for them.
Miles City needs more business to keep it growing and to stay alive. Billings don't need any more. Every time you turn around Miles City lost another business to Billings.
Miles City is a great place to do bussiness and live.
supporter
Posted by Van (+564) 16 years ago
fad
If you look at your MC history Roller skating dates back to the 1880's, it is NOT A FAD, infact in other states it is back stronger than ever. Roller Rinks can be used for a lot of INDOOR activities, and with MC weather that could be a huge plus. I am strongly thinking of opening a Roller Rink I just hope people there will take kind to the name "Miles City Holy Rollers" Thanks to one of the other inquery's, don't worry you will have free admision for life...
Holy Rollers is a funny name, but if I am opening a business I would avoid burning bridges with potential patrons...
supporter
Posted by Van (+564) 16 years ago
Cheryl you said it, " in some states it is back stronger than ever." Back meening it faded away for a while. Sure it remained strong in underground clubs of wantabes and small towns. It just so happens that there is a retro movie out about roller skating in the 70's. Thus the new found popularity thus the word fad. To fade in and out. Does not stay strong but is still in existance like a hula hoop. Good luck, Forrest Gump.
Posted by Betty Emilsson (+68) 16 years ago
Cheryl, the IGA/County Market Building sits empty and it is plenty
large for a rolling rink with extra room for other kiosks to provide snacks, etc. for skaters and observers.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1279) 16 years ago
HMMMM....rollerskating......I think I like that idea...I bet I could round up a few of my friends too!
Van, Your right on Fad/Fade, but I am looking at what other rinks are doing in hopes it will work there. RC Races, 2 Basketball courts, indoor soccer, dance's, open mic night, Meeting's, indoor flea market/ farmers market, oh and roller skating. The parking lot will house a covered SK8 Park for skateboards, bikes, and a 200 meter slick cart oval. This will be a true fun center.

[This message has been edited by Cheryl Thompson (edited 12/16/2005).]
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1591) 16 years ago
Cheryl, that is a wonderfull idea. I know that people have been trying to educate the County fathers that the Hockey Rink at the fair grounds would be a great place to have a multi-purpose building. If they would only concrete in the cooling pipes for Hockey they could also use the building for basketball tournaments rodeos and gatherings of all kinds but they are still under the belief that 4-H is still prospering. We need some county comissioners with a little vision. Check out the Hockey complex the building it is huge.

[This message has been edited by Stone (edited 12/16/2005).]

[This message has been edited by Stone (edited 12/17/2005).]
Posted by Shannon Lamon (+22) 16 years ago
Well, I am a little late on replying to this discussion but I think bringing a roller skating rink back to good old Miles City would be wonderful. This is coming from one who spent almost every day of the week at the old Parkway Rollercade when I was younger. Ahhh, so many great memories!! I was just telling my husband yesterday that if I ever won the lottery (I live in Nebraska) I would build a new roller rink in Miles City for everyone to enjoy. I also think it would be cool to include a miniature golf course or a large section of video games and climbing tunnels in the facility. Call me silly but I have all types of ideas for this type of business. Every city in which I have lived since I left Miles City has had an up and running roller rink. I live about 20 miles from Grand Island Nebraska right now and I have been to the roller rink in Grand Island three times with my 5 year old son. I still love it. Great exercise!! I'm sure Miles City must have some vacant building that could house this type of establishment. Great idea and hope something becomes of it!

PS: Mr Cory Cutting, I would gladly join you for a lap or two around the rink. Maybe a little SMURF BALL!
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1279) 16 years ago
Shannon, it's a date!

Hope things are good, I saw your parents about 3 weeks ago!
Shannon,

Hello I was the one thinking of opening a roller rink in MC. My family is from Nebraska just north of Grand Island in Cedar Rapids. I don't know how close that is, but small world. Keep Rolling!!!!!
Posted by Holly (+16) 16 years ago
You should open one Cheryl!!

Would it be lesbian friendly? Perhaps one night a week gay/lesbian?
HOLLY,

Is this going to be accepted in Miles City, I don't live there right now so I don't know........

Do you live in Miles City???????
I dont know, maybe not. Perhaps it won't be accepted.
Posted by Shannon Lamon (+22) 16 years ago
Cheryl, I live in Central City which is 20 miles east of Grand Island. I like it here as the land and the people remind me of Miles City, my true home!! A roller rink would be a good thing for Miles City. Best of luck!! Cory Cutting use to be an employee at the roller rink in the 1980's. He could be a helpful source for info. Also, Cal Schock use to ?run/own the Parkway Rollercade back then and he still lives in Miles City I believe. Both are very nice individuals.
Cory, thanks for giving my parents those great pictures from our days at the Parkway Rollercade. They really mean a lot to me! I made duplicates for myself and a set for Tracy also. They are just classic!!
founder
Posted by Chad (+1758) 16 years ago
Lesbian? Gay? One night a week in Miles City? Where are you from! I really have no qualms about someones sexuality, be it straight or gay, but while there is a gay population here it tends to be very low key and subtle. Still a lot of phobias and paranoia about homosexuality around here.

Brokeback Mountain is quite controversial among the locals; I don't know if it will show here or not, but I doubt it. I seriously believe that sponsoring a gay/lesbian night at any local venue would be the death of the business.

Good luck on the rink.
I guess that by the time Miles City ever has another roller rink, real swimming pool, or sane city government, my Sexuality will be accepted. Why is lesbian such a bad word?
supporter
I will tell you why it is a bad word, after you tell me why your "orientation" is deserving of a special night at the roller rink.

One of the problems with this country is the notion that everyone needs to be categorized and that some categories of people are more deserving of special treatment than others. Give me a break.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4455) 16 years ago
White guy night!!!
Well, drag me behind a pickup, tie me to a fence post, and shoot me in the head. They do that in wyoming right?
supporter
Gay skating night - no.

Drag you behind a truck - no, that was Texas and racially, not sexually motivated.

Tie you to a fence - only if you're into that kind of thing.

Shooting - no, it's messy.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 2/21/2006).]
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+283) 16 years ago
Uh-Oh, Buck! She's gonna be mad now. You're gonna get the "Laramie Project" lecture! ...tsk ...tsk
Posted by William S. (+66) 16 years ago
Lest anyone think that our society has given into the notion that everyone needs to be categorized and that some categories of people are more deserving of special treatment than others and that anyone's "orientation" is deserving of a special night, let's ban theme nights all together.

Let's see, ladies night, stag night, singles night, couples night, childrens night, senior citizens night, and on and on and on. Ballgames, dances, movies, clubs, etc. all throughout the country have special nights for certain demographics.

I'm not saying that a lesbian/gay themed night in Miles City would be a wise decision, but let's not feign indignation at society's need to categorize. I don't believe that most people want special treatment for lesbians/gays, just as equal treatment as possible.

And please don't start quoting biblical passages to shore-up an argument of why her "orientation" is an abomination. Someday, it will be scientific fact that someone's orientation is biological, not psychological. When that happens, how will the hate be explained? It is not a choice. If it were a choice, how do you explain the following?

1.) The obvious statement, why would anyone choose a lifestyle that makes him/her the target of ridicule and hatred and often alienate him/her from family and friends.

2.) In different scientific studies, the brains of homosexual men responded like women's, and very different from heterosexual men's, when exposed to testosterone and estrogen compounds.

3.) The physical sterotypes that are so often joked about. Slight stature, expressive hands, lisps, feminine nature. They are sterotypes for a reason, because they are commonplace. Do you suppose that a man one day decides to be gay, and then morphs these physical characteristics?

4.) Sexual confusion from a very young age, way before a person is capable of making a decision to be gay. I have seen this first-hand. If you visit with a lebian/gay person, they will tell you they struggled with their feelings for as long as they can remember.

5.) Does a heterosexual person sit down and make a conscious decision to be heterosexual? I know I didn't. You are what you are. It isn't any different for a homosexual.

What will the argument be when science proves it is not a decision? Oops! We're sorry, but now that we know it is biological, let's screen all children in the womb and fix this defective gene!!! Give me a break!
supporter
"And please don't start quoting biblical passages to shore-up an argument of why her "orientation" is an abomination. Someday, it will be scientific fact that someone's orientation is biological, not psychological."

Guess I will wait until "someday". Until then the Bible rules.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+933) 16 years ago
Every once in awhile when I open an item I'll click to the last response even though I have not read the majority of the ones between the start and the end. Needless to say, it can be interesting how the converstation strays from the main topic.

Yes . . . when it's cold we skate outdoors. And, yes we can skate indoors, too. We even can fall down and land on our backsides -- just like the Olympians.
Posted by RT&JenBo9 (+50) 16 years ago
Wow, all of this over a skating rink! Great idea-How about it be open to the public, every nite and if you show up to skate, have fun. I won't push my beliefs on you and you wont push your beliefs on me. The fact that you can walk, talk, and contemplate roller skating should be enough for everyone regardless of "special nights". Nobody is special so get over it.

Oh yea, can I get a Military discount?
Posted by William S. (+66) 16 years ago
The following article is exactly why I have never cared for this argument backed up by the bible.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/a...orcyclists

The bible's meaning is interpreted 300,000 ways by even more people. Radical terrorists quote their "bible" too in carrying out some of the greatest atrocities. Amorette hit it right on the head quite a while ago stating that we have our book and they (whoever they may be in the discussion) have their book, and everyone justifies their behavior using quotes from their book and trying to disprove the other's book. This solves absolutely nothing.

Richard, you didn't really address what you will do when "someday" comes. Easy to keep the blinders on.

RT&JenBo9, that is my point exactly. No one should be getting special treatment.
Bonine, do you have any daughters, sisters, maybe a mother? Maybe I could bring them over to play for our team? Sometimes there is just something about the way that one woman can touch another woman, that no man can understand.
Posted by Duncan Bonine (+283) 16 years ago
Holly: You just destroyed the nice genetic pre-disposition, biological defense that William S had going and you made it all about the "pleasure of the flesh". Which means it really is a choice!
I don't really concern myself with the trivial details. I know what I like.
RT&JenBo9,

Thank you for this quote, "How about it be open to the public, every nite and if you show up to skate, HAVE FUN."

I'll give you credit Holly you stirred up the sh-t for just joining today...............
How is this all my fault? Just because Miles City is so scared and uncomfortable about things that the citizens cannot understand.
Posted by Danny T (+58) 16 years ago
If you are truly tolerant, you need to be tolerant of the people who don't agree that homosexuality is biological. To be completely fair, there should be a special skating night for them too. (It could also double as the Bonine family reunion)
supporter
Aahhh, homosexuality is biological. My all-time favorite.

My favorite instance of the phenomenon came from Miles City when my favorite "lesbian" became pregnant. My friend Dave said, "Gee, I guess the whole gay thing didn't take."

It takes or it doesn't.

On the other hand, I agree with the genetics side of some of it. Gay dudes were always gay, real gay women were always gay, and the rest of the lesbians are starved for attention and/or just can't get a date. (I'm pretty sure men don't experiment with sexuality and I'll put my foot down and tell you there is no bisexuality.)

Dude likes dudes and chicks? Nope, just gay.
Chick likes dudes and chicks? Nope, just straight.(See starved for attention (maybe affection too))
Chick exclusively likes chicks? Yep, you're gay.
Dudes and dudes? Gay, really not an issue I have a problem with, just a fact.

Time to deal with reality. Nobody really gives a rats-ass what you are. We all know anyway, even if you don't.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 2/22/2006).]
Posted by MCGirl (+305) 16 years ago
Okay, back to the roller rink idea---anybody seen the show "Rollergirls?" I think it's on A&E or something similar. About a bunch of hardass chicks who compete in roller derby. Now that is something I could support!!!
supporter
I've seen it. When they made Clownsnack try out again, that was wack.
Posted by grace t (+45) 16 years ago
i dont kno.. but im sure glad someone thought of it too... m.c wuld make a killing on a rollerskating rink... i kno that i sure had fun back in the day when i and my friends used to go good for you;D