BBQ Ribs?
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2629) 11 years ago
Who makes the best in town and or what's your recipe? I love ribs beef and pork and have tried I think all in town but I was just wondering what everyone else was thinking.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+587) 11 years ago
I think key to pork ribs is slow oven baking & starting with good pork.
I dry rub a combination of spare & country style ribs and overnight in the refrigerator in ziplocks. Next morning put in deep broiler pans & pour apple cider to about an inch or so from top & cover tightly with several layers of foil....put in 285-300 oven for a few hours-at least 2hrs until cider is completely absorbed into ribs.
Prepare smokey barbeque with hickory chips, slather bbq sauce on ribs, & put on top racks in completely tamped down barbeque (we use barrel smoker/bbq). The ribs are cooked so they can smoke for as long as you want---don't let them dry out, you only want the sauce to barely start to carmelize, slather on more sauce as you go.
I usually make rubs & sauces but lately I've liked Costco's sweet mesquite seasoning. If I use a commercial sauce, I add hot sauce & brown sugar & green bell peppers & apple cider.
Posted by Bruce Wilson (+53) 11 years ago
You will most likely get a plethora of recipes, and most will be good. However here are a couple of tips for I have found to be helpfull over the years. Peel off the membrane that covers the entire back of the rib rack. It may be a little hard to get started, but with the membrane gone your ribs will be much more tender. Also, either boil the ribs, or bake on an oven rack to get rid of the grease before cooking in sauce. If you use a commercial BBQ sauce add one part milk to 20 parts sauce. This will keep your sauce from getting bitter. My personal favorite spice to "doctor" the store sauce is cayenne pepper. And always cook slow.
Bon Appetit!
Posted by mule train (+1057) 11 years ago
texas rub: yellow mustard, paprika, salt and pepper, garlic powder, chilli powder

smoked over mesquite 7-8 hours

carolina mop sauce every hour after the intial 3 hours to keep it moist: olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper

carolina finishing sauce: apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper, red chilli flakes, habenaro hot sauce

Pair with the hoppest beer you can get your hands on! a.k.a Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+928) 11 years ago
My brother-in-law makes mighty fine ribs. I consider them the best. In fact, Steve, my birthday is next month.
Posted by CK (+853) 11 years ago
Here is the recipe for the best ribs I have ever had that my friend made a few weeks ago.

She brought a large pot of water to a boil with yellow onion chunks, a bit of seasoning salt, and minced garlic. Once boiling, she added the ribs. Bring back to a boil. Then simmer on low for at least 30 minutes, but up to 2.5 hours. This makes them incredibly tender, tasty, and boils out some of the fat. Then she basted them in bbq sauce and grilled on med heat. They were awesome!

Yummy!
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10003) 11 years ago
Ribs are easy. Boil (I know -- don't do that), bake, then broil or grill to finish them off while applying sauce -- the spicier the better. ;-)
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2629) 11 years ago
Outstanding people thanks for all the great ideas. I'm going to try one of them this weekend.
keep them comin!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17494) 11 years ago
Boiling is for sucks.

Apply ribrub the night before per Cindy's instructions. Strip off the strip off skin off the back per Bruce's recommendation. Smoke at 200-225°F for 3 hours. Slather on your favorite sauce for the last half hour.

For baked rubs, I followed Alton Brown's recipe once during a snowy Eagles-Vikings playoff game a year and a half ago, and they came out great:

Posted by Kacey (+3161) 11 years ago
I make ribs very simply. Put them in a pan. Add about an inch of water. Cover. Bake in 500 degree preheated oven for 1 hour. Lower heat to 350, check water level. If needed add a little more. Bake another hour. Put on whatever your favorite bbq sauce is. Bake another hour. Done. Flakey, tender and perfect every time.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+588) 11 years ago
Boiled or baked ribs are not BBQ! Grill, Baby, Grill
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 11 years ago
I tried the Alton Brown ribs and they were perfectly cooked, but dang were they salty. I don't know if I used too much dry rub or what but there was at least triple the amount of salt I want on my food in those things.