Mess in the Gulf of Mexico
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+256) 12 years ago
I am appalled that there seems to be so little concern about what is happening to the Gulf of Mexico, its fisheries, its fishermen, its restaurants, etc. Already Houston, TX. restaurants are feeling the effects of the BP oil blowout that remains uncontained. It will not be long, friends, before it starts to effect gas and oil prices. Like it or not Houston has most of the country's refineries. If you think the "recession" hurt business, wait until you see what happens after this.

What we see in Houston is only the ripple effect that will hit the rest of the country.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 12 years ago
Little concern from whom? Not the news media or even the posters here, who have been discussing it under several threads.

Not that discussing it can DO anything. We can tear our hair but so far, the leak defies the technology to fix it.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1505) 12 years ago
I am appalled that there seems to be so little concern about what is happening to the Gulf of Mexico, its fisheries, its fishermen, its restaurants, etc.

I also feel there has been a lot of concern shown over the problem, both here and nationally. Most do not want to see the environment impacted in such a way. Many also know the ripple effect that is coming due to this event, and its ramnifications.

I understand the situation well, since I was born and raised southeast of Houston. This is just my opinion.
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Moore (+76) 12 years ago
Check this out. It's almost too amazing to believe!

http://www.wimp.com/solutionoil/

supporter
Posted by howdy (+4950) 12 years ago
Sali, if you check back thru other posts about this subject, you will see this has already been posted before...
Posted by ron h (+57) 12 years ago
fix it ! yea just think this dam thing could and will destroy all the oceans and seas in the world, we being human need water to survive 2012
supporter
Posted by Jonna (+279) 12 years ago
I've been following the mess in the gulf on CNN and get nauseated with each new failure by BP to fix the leak. Today they are projecting that it may not be until August that the oil leak is finally stopped, as that is how long it will take to drill a relief rig. Top that off with the stupid idea that BP plans to try next of removing the cap on the current rig and trying to replace it with a new one. This carries a huge risk of failure and doubling the amount of oil spewing into the gulf. Given their track record so far I am utterly amazed that no one has stepped in and said "like hell you will". I pray for the people directly impacted by this mess, and I would pray for the flora and fauna of the gulf and the shores but they are goners. My heart breaks to see such gross mismanagement and to think that since the last time this happened off the coast of Mexico in the 70's no one has come up with a contingency plan to deal with such a disaster in a more timely manner.
Posted by stephen (+256) 12 years ago
Ron-
You do understand that Humans need fresh water right?
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 12 years ago
I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago and the Times-Picayune had extensive front page stories every day. The people there are extremely concerned about their livelihood and way of life. They are heart sick about this. No one I spoke to had a blasé attitude.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 12 years ago
Yes, everyone I know is greatly concerned over this and its long-term effect on the oceans and the people whose livelihoods depend on the ocean. It was the major topic of conversation at a dinner party I went to tonight.

I, too, am puzzled by the statement, "I am appalled that there seems to be so little concern about what is happening to the Gulf of Mexico, its fisheries, its fishermen, its restaurants, etc."...........what planet are you living on, Maryann?????? Maybe you and Ginger need to read a freakin' newspaper once in a blue moon?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15082) 12 years ago
You tell'em Professor.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 12 years ago
There's something going on in the Gulf of Mexico?
Posted by Tracy Walters (+297) 12 years ago
Is it Mardi Gras?