stone shack
Posted by Kim Phillips (+25) 11 years ago
Can anyone offer information on the stone shack and its location. I would like to go there to take a few photos of the site. Thank-you all.
Posted by MG (+113) 11 years ago
I'm not sure what the stone shack might be. Can you shed any more light on the subject?
Posted by mtgman (+90) 11 years ago
I know where there's a stone shack,It's pretty cool.
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+475) 11 years ago
And where would that really cool stone shack be?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14884) 11 years ago
Yup... I'm pretty sure David Sirota lives at "Stone's shack". (just funning you, Brady)
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11610) 11 years ago
Stone Shack was a stagecoach stop north of Miles City. I don't have the exact location but I'll see what I can dig up. I don't know if the building the spot was named after is still standing.
if you could find that info that would really be great...I know it is about 15 miles north of Miles City along the north branch of Sunday Creek but I dont know how to get there...which road or roads to take and all...
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+594) 11 years ago
Here's the gazetteer link for a map. Just click on the map to zoom in. I like the "hybrid" feature, sat pic with roads marked.

According to the map it's just off Crow Rock Road. If you have a GPS locator, it lists the coordinates.

http://montana.hometownlo...office.cfm
supporter
Posted by spacekace (+892) 11 years ago
I think they visited the Stone Shack at "Angela Days". Contact Keith Holmlund...he would know where it is, and how to find it....and who to get ahold of to get access (if it's on private land) etc. And...as well as any other great places to visit while you are in the neighborhood!
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1234) 11 years ago
Stone Shack was an early day PO and more reknowned for it's sheep shearing activity. There is nothing remaining to mark the site except some bits of glass, nails etc. It is on private property.
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1592) 11 years ago
Richard, good one except I spell it Stone Shaq.
Thanks for all the replies. From the map it appears I drive about 17 miles north of Miles City on the highway 59 and turn right on crow head road for less than a mile...stone shack appears about 100 yards to the left of the dirt road...I can just take a few pictures from the road and I don't have to worry about entering private property. The north fork of Sunday Creek should be there somewhere nearby also. Thank-you.
Kimm
i did a google search and there is a supposed la Hoffman photo of 'stone shack' and it very well may be the old stage stop....a Hoffman book also shows the photo and just calls if an old ranch without the stone shack description.

[This message has been edited by Kim Phillips (5/21/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1280) 11 years ago
Is this a thread about a place to smoke pot?
founder
supporter
That would be Stoned Shack. I know there is a funny story connected with the founding but I can't remember it off hand. Yes, there were major sheep shearing pens up there in the early twentieth century, some of the first with electric clippers.
founder
supporter
Posted by Jack McRae (+356) 11 years ago
You have the right idea for getting to Stone Shack. Go north to the Crow Rock road turn on it and it will be on your left near the top of a rise (it seems from memory.) I think I could show you where it was because my father showed me where it was.

This sounds like a Sam Phillips project. Contact me as I might have information you don't have yet on the Carlin case.
Howdy Jack,
Yes I am Sam, Kim is my middle name, I am planning on being in Miles City on Thursday. I would love to learn what you have on the Carlin case.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+592) 11 years ago
My grand father Sol Nichols & his brother Smoky had a sandstone house on on Little Dry creek. there is a picture of it in the book UY ranch by Helen Addison Howard.

The caption reads (Smokey's original ranch house on Little Dry Creek (north of the UY ranch On Sunday creek on unsurveyed land, was built of sandstone slabs with very thick walls.)

I will try to scan the picture I don't get very good pictures scaning out of a book though

I don't know if this is the stone shack you were looking for it was in the general area.
thank you for your picture...the photo that I found in Google and in one of the books on la huffman was a bit different...but it could be just a different photo of the same building that you have shown...the stone shack I am interested in was a stage stop, mail stop, and sheep/shearing camp at different times and supposed to be some 17 miles north of Miles City just off the highway next to the North Fork of Sunday Creek.
I don't know the exact mileage but that is pretty close to where this building was. So it may be the same one
founder
Posted by roberta campbell (+56) 11 years ago
I don't know the location of "stone shack" but my grandmother wrote about it in her memoirs. Charlie Snyder and his wife Josephine came by wagon from South Dakota to operate the way station, Stone Shack" for the old Deadwood Stage which hauled passengers and mail in the early days. I am thinking this was early in 1900.
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1234) 11 years ago
Roberta,
The Stone Shack, the subject of this thread would have no connection to the Deadwood Stage route or stops. I can find no mention of a Stone Shack in any of the various stages leading to Deadwood. Are you sure they were not referring to Stoneville, later to become Alzada. This was a stop on the Miles City-Deadwood stage.
Posted by William Cain (+60) 11 years ago
you need to call kieth or marge holmlund---marge works at murdochs--they been working on the stone shack and every thing on the north side of miles city------for a long time --------they would have everything you would want-----------
founder
supporter
No, I think Stone Shack was on the Jordan stage route, not the Deadwood stage route. Wrong direction. Stone Shack is NORTH of Miles City and the Deadwood route went SOUTH of Miles City.
Posted by lone prairie (+8) 11 years ago
There is an old stone shack on the deadwood stage route, approximately 15 miles south of Miles City, located on Pumpkin creek. I believe it was a stage stop called the Grey Dutch Inn.
founder
supporter
Aha! The difference between a stone shack and a place called Stone Shack! I have to look up where Piper Dan's road ranch was located. It was somewhat less than a five star stop.
Posted by mom (+67) 11 years ago
Stone Shack was a way-stop on the road to Cohagen and Jordan. According to my resident authority, it was about ten or twelve miles north. Loaded teams crossing the Yellowstone and pulling over the long hill needed to be rested about the time they reached it, so it became a rest stop as well as its other distinctions. Art Pluhar would know.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16971) 11 years ago
Screw the Stone Shack, I want to hear about the Carlin case.

Jack and Sam, please enlighten us.
founder
supporter
Is Carlin the doctor who was shot by mistake?
Yes, the same man.