Custer Creek
Posted by Jim Byrnes (+13) 12 years ago
Does anybody know how Custer Creek got it's name?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17809) 12 years ago
I believe it was named after a famous general.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9362) 12 years ago
Which one?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15197) 12 years ago
It's named after a cowboy who was renown for using profanity while chasing black cows down the drainage in the dark.... a cow would escape and he cust-er.
Posted by Kacey (+3155) 12 years ago
http://www3.gendisasters....-june-1938

This doesn't tell how it got it's name but is a very interesting story about the train wreck there.

[This message has been edited by Kacey (5/20/2010)]
The one west of Calypso and North of the Yellowstone. I believe that the only time Genl. Custer was on that side of the river was during the 1873 Yellowstone Expedition. Was there some kind of incident that happened there to be given his name? AND is there any photographs of that expedition in that area? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Jim Byrnes (5/25/2010)]
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1234) 12 years ago
GAC and a couple of troops were generally in the advance scouting for the best route for the wagon train. When the expedition had to make the big detour around the terry badlands the first larger creek encountered was custer creek which was pretty much followed to the yellowstone. The expedition camped near there 2 days July 31 and August 1st to recuperate. Most likely that is how the creek got it's name.

While the expedition did have a photographer Wm Pywell along his equipment did not arrive untill a meet up with the steamer Josephine somewhat after the Glendive supply depot. The photographs were mislabled in the national archives for many years and essentially lost untill refound by the noted Custerphile John Carroll. Over the years many have been mis IDed as to location but none seem to have been taken east of the Tounge river and perhaps even east of the Bighorn. The aftermath of the 2 skirmishs at those locations were not pictured. Surpringly so, as they were perhaps the most newsworthy of the trip.
supporter
A correction to my above post. In the Lawrence A. Frost book, CUSTER'S 7TH CAV AND THE CAMPAIGN OF 1873 pages 70 and 71 and IDed as photos of the camp near Tounge river are now known to be taken along the Yellowstone near the Glendive supply camp shortly after Pywell received his equipment. So actually some photos were taken east of the Tongue.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17809) 12 years ago
Hey, great information.....thanks, Ike.
Posted by Jeff Newby (+159) 12 years ago
When Custer died he was a LTC not a General. He got promoted to BG by during the Civil War but at the end of the war he was reduced back to the rank of LTC. At the time of his death he was awaiting to be court martialed I believe for being AWOL.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Newby (5/25/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9362) 12 years ago
He was brevetted to Major General during the Civil War (as were many other union officers) before being reduced to LTC.
supporter
GAC was brevetted to Major General during the CW. At the conclusion of the war he went back to his pre-war rank of Captain. In 1866 he was promoted to Lt Col. The court-martial charge was brought in 1867 with AWOL from his command the main charge. He was convicted and sentenced to be suspended for a year without pay. He was reinstated a year later by the request of Gen. Sherman. By 1876 he was in trouble for testifing against sutlers and agents to the indians. Then president Grant whose relatives were involved in the scheme wanted him removed from the coming 1876 exp. which he was supposed to lead. Eventually he was permitted to go on the expedition and have his old command of the 7th Cav, but the command of the whole was under the Command of Terry.

[This message has been edited by ike eichler (5/25/2010)]
Thanks Ike, but there was supposed to be a picture out there of the campsite along the Northern side of the Yellowstone at Custer Creek. I am interested in knowing if any of you have a copy of that photograph, or know where it can be found. This was all part of the 1873 Yellowstone Expedition, mapping a route for the Northern Pacific Railroad. I am aware of his rank, BUT they always referred to his Brevetted General rank (from the Civil War) when they addressed him. Somebody, who I know said that he saw that photo. Just curious if it EXISTS! Thank you, EVERYBODY for your replies, and I'll be watching for your future replies.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Byrnes (5/26/2010)]

[This message has been edited by Jim Byrnes (5/26/2010)]
supporter
Of all the Pywell photos none have been IDed as the Custer Creek locale. 78 of the original photos have been found. They were misfiled as being of the 1871 Whistler expedition and only rediscovered after over a hundred years in the national archives.
Thanks Ike, and I wonder how many more are just collecting "dust" waiting to be discovered at the "Archive"!?!?