glass or creamic top electric cook stove:?:
Posted by JAGB (+110) 11 years ago
I would like the pros and cons from anyone who has owned or used a glass or ceramic top(or whatever the new ones are made of) electric cook stove. THANKS
Posted by jw (+122) 11 years ago
I hate mine. It's hard to keep clean. If I had a choice I would never put another one in my kitchen.
Posted by CS Hunt (+328) 11 years ago
They look great, but I don't really care for them. We had a flat top stove about 4 years ago, so I'm not sure how they've changed or if they're better. But, this was my experience:

Pros: heats up quickly, looks good

Cons: scratches easily, so don't slide pots or pans across them and don't even think about using anything but a soft rag to clean it! Have burnt on food? Best bet is to scrape it off with your fingers or place a wet rag on it to soak. Kind of a hassle to clean.

takes a while to cool down, even though the "red" fades pretty quick. don't try to wipe anything off when it's hot, as even water leaves an ugly mess. they make a special cleaner for it and it's a MUST!

Hope this helps. (We'll never own another one, either.)

[This message has been edited by CS Hunt (5/20/2010)]
Posted by Cynthia A. (+197) 11 years ago
We have owned both types, I actually love my ceramic top one. To me it's easier to clean then taking apart a regular stove. The only down side to it for me, is that the temp does not "adjust" as easy quickly as a regular stove and does not cool down as fast, imho. My 2 cents
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 11 years ago
Gas range with electric oven is the only way to fly
Posted by Bruce Wilson (+52) 11 years ago
I wanted gas, wife wanted electric creamic top, wife won, (as usual) range is 6 years old, and looks brand new. I love it. Easy to clean, (we use Sears Range top cleaner). I would never deal with gas or electric burners again, way too messy. Great to cook on also, heats up in a flash. The early units were not good at all.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 11 years ago
Definitely ceramic for me!
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1437) 11 years ago
We've had both, currently have a flat-glass surface one.

Yup, heats up really fast. I still prefer a gas cook top but fast control of heat on the glass surface is pretty close.

The coil element type get disgusting and we all pretty much know how that goes, plus cleaning. Glass can be a challenge so I agree the special cleaner is a must otherwise it's a lot of elbow grease with soap and water. Ceramic also requires special care and gets just as yucky if you have a boil-over. We find grease splatters clean up MUCH better on glass than the ceramic - the ceramic discolors and stains immediately. So, depending on what you cook it might matter.

We found that old pots and pans that got a little warped (the cheap ones) from years ago worked fine on the coil element but are useless on a flat glass or ceramic surface. If you have nice pots and pans and they are flat you should do well.

However, if you currently have a big investment in pots and pans double check because not everything is compatible with glass or ceramic.
Posted by Raks Attarab (+60) 11 years ago
My dad has one of the new stoves with the glass/ceramic top...not sure which one it is, and i've used it quite a bit.

I will say it is a A LOT easier logistically to clean than having to pull out burners, scrub drip trays, etc. But, its a pain to get them so they actually LOOK clean, especially if your top is dark-colored (our is black). You really should use the special cleaner that they make for those tyep of stoves, and even then they don't always appear totally spotfree. And no matter what, DO NOT slide anything across the surface or use something abrasive to clean it because they scratch pretty easily.

Use-wise I think they heat up considerably slower than regular burners, at least ours does. Something else is if you over-flow something, like boiling water in a pot, the liquid has nowhere to go (like it would if there was a drip tray), so it just sits there on the surface.

All in all, don't totally hate it but not really a big fan either.
Posted by Jim B (+232) 11 years ago
We just changed our 30" Jenn-Air electric ceramic top
for 30" Jenn-Air gas cook top.
To slow in heating up and to slow in cooing down.
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1272) 11 years ago
I love mine. When I first put it in and didn't have any pans unpacked, I cooked grilled cheese right on top of it!!! I love it because I'm kinda short on counter space and when its not in use, its great for extra room. I haven't had any problems with mine and I'm very happy.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 11 years ago
I really like my flat surface stovetop. It's not hard to keep clean if you use the special stuff for it and keep your razor blade handy. The only problem with it is that if your pots are not totally flat bottomed they may not heat evenly. And my burners go black when they are turned off but may still be hot. It's easy to make a mistake and touch them then.
Posted by mckee (+389) 11 years ago
I've also used both and love mine, easy to keep clean. When not in use I use burner covers and works and looks great. It has never scratched or spotted it does take longer to cool but wouldn't change back.
Posted by poisonspaghetti (+281) 11 years ago
Con, con, con, con, con....I absolutely HATE my ceramic stovetop. It's hard to control the heat, takes forever to cool down, spills cook on like they're concrete, gets scratched and is expensive to replace if it gets cracked.

If you can afford it, get a gas stove.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
I'm neutral on the subject, as a hot plate, electric tea kettle and microwave would fulfill my needs, but if you are a serious cook, like my husband, gas cook top with electric range is the way to go. We have a Viking. It is a MISERY to clean but is a true cook's stove.

If you are more concerned with appearances, it's a toss up. An unused Viking is mighty impressive looking.
Posted by Crash (+122) 11 years ago
Loving the ease of cleaning my glass topped cook stove. I have had a black one, a white one, and a "speckled" one. Hated the white one...truely a pain to keep clean. I have a black one now and it is better than the white one. If I had to choose another one, I'd look for the "speckled" model as it hides the most crud day to day. Why so many different stoves you may ask...I've moved too many times.
Posted by polar bear (+509) 11 years ago
I have a speckled flat top and totally love it. I cannot think of any downside, plus it heats faster than you can imagine and is much easier to control the increments.
supporter
Posted by Steve Craddock (+2732) 11 years ago
Over the years I've had electric, gas and ceramic. Can't think of anything good to say about electric stoves. Gas stoves are great for fast on/off of heat and infinite adjustments in between, but they are bearcats to clean. The ceramic cooktop (mine was black) was by far my favorite for all the reasons noted above. And it was by far the easiest to keep clean. Simply use the ceramic cleaner and a paper towel after every use. It was much easier than wiping down the gas and electric stoves after each use, which I also did. And while some boil overs and splatters were tougher to wipe away than others, I never had to use a razor or anything like that to get the surface back into sparkling shape.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
I think we should all just be thankful we no longer have to gather and carry in wood or cow-chips and carry out ashes. We in the USA are comparatively very blessed and at the same time very spoiled. With that in mind, the type of cook top seems unimportant.
Posted by JAGB (+110) 11 years ago
Thanks for all the feed back ! It is very important to me as I am going to be buying a new stove and wanted to know if I might like a glass/ceramic top !! the feed back helped alot THANKS again !!!!
Posted by TK (+1623) 11 years ago
The only reason I don't like them, is from the research I've done, you can't do any home-canning on them. Other than that, I'd go either glass or ceramic! But that's my opinion...
Posted by MG (+105) 11 years ago
Ask Kate from (Jon and Kate plus eight) she busted hers....
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 11 years ago
Why couldn't you do any home canning on a ceramic cook top?
supporter
I think we should all just be thankful we no longer have to gather and carry in wood or cow-chips and carry out ashes. We in the USA are comparatively very blessed and at the same time very spoiled. With that in mind, the type of cook top seems unimportant.

Hey Richard. I'm with you part of the way. I am very grateful that we have stoves, hot water heaters, furnaces and A/C, etc. I rejoice every time I turn a valve and out spouts hot water! As I've said many times, anyone on this earth who can take a hot shower every day is wealthy! And I mean that.

With that in mind, the fact is that we do live in the modern world and that world gives us an amazing variety of products to choose from. It seems to me that far from acting like a spoiled person, the man/woman who started this thread simply wanted to make an informed choice. What, pray tell, is wrong with that?
Posted by polar bear (+509) 11 years ago
My SIL does loads of canning on hers.
Posted by Crash (+122) 11 years ago
I have canned chokecherry jam and syrup on my glasstop ranges.
supporter
the man/woman who started this thread simply wanted to make an informed choice. What, pray tell, is wrong with that?

Nothing is wrong with that.
supporter
OK, cool. So would you agree that the type of cooktop is important --at least to the folks who are shelling out their hard-earned money to buy it? Oh, and it's probably important to those who livelihood depends on designing it, building it, selling it, installing it, and perhaps someday repairing it, too. Just saying.
supporter
They can buy whatever they want/can afford.

It is obvious (to me at least) that I will never be able to explain the rest of my system of valuation to you, to your satisfaction. You had to be there. Rather than accept your conformist premise or begin beating a dead horse, I will be dismounting now.

wow...how do I get myself into these deals...
supporter
Sorry Richard. I never meant to beat a dead horse - or even a live soil conservation engineer. I just think that seeking advice and recommendations on whether to buy "this" or "that" is a valid and even great use of MC.com -- thus the query to find out why you felt such things were unimportant. Thanks for clarifying your points.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 11 years ago
Steve, you crossed one of the commandments which is "Thou shalt not criticize Richard on values"....I agree that this is a great use of MC.com and should be encouraged for product reliability, etc...Richard, nice use of the guilt trip, did ya learn that when you were a good Catholic kid??
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 11 years ago
even a live soil conservation engineer

Please.....do not besmirch the good name of engineers, by calling Richard one......
supporter
I agree with Gunnar...