Great way to clean up the oil spill
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15075) 12 years ago
I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately, it is too simple for engineers (and government) to even consider.

Like someone else said while we are at it we can feed the seahorses.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (5/7/2010)]
Posted by CS Hunt (+322) 12 years ago
that is absolutely incredible! but, I agree...way too simple for our government to consider.

[This message has been edited by CS Hunt (5/7/2010)]
Posted by john w caylor (+82) 12 years ago
Absolutely agree. Our government needs to remember a old adage KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3708) 12 years ago
I hope this info gets to the right people and soon.
Posted by CK (+845) 12 years ago
Incredible!
Posted by Steve Allison (+974) 12 years ago
My question would be, seeing how much hay it took to pick up less then 2 cups of oil, how much hay will it take to pick up 5,000 barrels an hour? Then you need to figure what this will do to animal feed costs. If this takes up a large portion of the hay crop, feeding cattle could become extremely expensive. One needs to look ahead before hamburger is $10.00 a pound.
supporter
How about if we chip all of the downed trees and debris from the flood in TN. Wood chips from all of the pine-beetle infested forest would also work. I think you could also use yard waste such as grass clippings. There are a lot of materials that could be used to do this without affecting the price of hamburger.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+591) 12 years ago
Wool bales work well also.
Posted by Cheryl Gaer-Barlow (+480) 12 years ago
Why don't they just set the oil spill on fire? Only burns the surface and no clean-up.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+592) 12 years ago
They tried. Sea was to choppy to sustain a good burn
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11885) 12 years ago
Then what is done with tons and tons and TONS of contaminated wood chips, wool, grass clippings, whatever? How are they collected? Do they just wander the worlds oceans? I can't imagine tons of material soaked with oil is good for sea life. If they are collected, are they burned? Re-processed to collect the oil? This might be a start but there has to be a plan for the finish or we might end up in a worse mess than we are in.
Posted by Chuck Schott (+1290) 12 years ago
Lets put a big Shriner hat on top of it and pump oil out the tassel, or something like that.
supporter
Then what is done with tons and tons and TONS of contaminated wood chips, wool, grass clippings, whatever? How are they collected? Do they just wander the worlds oceans? I can't imagine tons of material soaked with oil is good for sea life. If they are collected, are they burned? Re-processed to collect the oil?

Heat + Pressure = straw color diamonds.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (5/10/2010)]
Posted by CS Hunt (+322) 12 years ago
I believe they said they could take it to a refinery...
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1910) 12 years ago
Amorette. I think Richard's posting of that little demo was nothing more than an attempt to make this catastrophe seem 'not so bad'. Anyone smart enough to do a little math should realize this absorption technique will come in handy for some of the mess, but it isn't taking into account volatiles and other toxins that end up in the water. I'd like to see these two dudes take a nice drink of that water. The title of the thread is "Great way to lean up the oil spill". Golly. Get a few good ol' boys to come down and swish some straw around and whoopee, spill all cleaned up.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 12 years ago
and what a great excuse to raise prices on gasoline at the pump...
supporter
Not true Bob. I posted it because it seems like part of a solution to a big problem. I am not trying to minimize anything.
supporter
What was the title of the thread?
supporter
What was the title of the thread?

Umm... the same as it still is... "Great way to clean up the oil spill".

Doesn't necessarily imply that it is the ONLY way to clean up the oil spill, which is what I would have used if I thought it was the only way to clean up the mess.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (5/10/2010)]
supporter
OK. You win, Richard.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6113) 12 years ago
If only the Powers that Be in Washington, DC tuned in to MC.com ... each and every one of the world's myriad problems could be immediately solved!
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 12 years ago
Apparently the way to go is human hair stuffed into nylon stockings.

http://www.cbsnews.com/st...rPromoArea
The Voice of Reason wrote:
Apparently the way to go is human hair stuffed into nylon stockings.

That's your answer for EVERYTHING, Levi.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 12 years ago
I heard that San Francisco has been one of the best places to collect used panty hose because women don't really wear them anymore but they are still popular with drag queens.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17660) 12 years ago
I still can't believe that the British Petroleum Corporation, one of the richest oil companies in the world, who employs thousands of highly paid petroleum and environmental engineers, is ignoring this thread.
If I wasn't offended by BP before, I certainly am now. Dammit, Gunnar!
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5100) 12 years ago
Well, BP WAS stupid enough to employ Todd Palin, so there you go...