FYI Walmart
Posted by Kacey (+3161) 11 years ago
Walmart's policy used to be that when you bought a cake for a first birthday they would give you a little round cake for the birthday boy or girl. I ordered a cake for my grandson's birthday and asked about the little cake. I was told that Walmart has CUT BACK and no longer offers these cakes. But they will make you one for about six bucks. Walmart must have fallen on hard times. So why not start your cutbacks on little cakes that cost about 50 cents to make.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 11 years ago
Since when is Walmart obliged to give out freebies?
It is not a matter of being obliged. It was their policy since they opened.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 11 years ago
Perhaps Kacey but policies change. I don't mean to sound callous but you shouldn't expect "Policy A" to be there perpetually.

I will say that they should've given some sort of advanced warning to customers indicating the change in policy.
Posted by kelly l (+58) 11 years ago
Change is inevitable, even the bad, but I think that it is short-sighted for businesses to look at a dollar figure only when determining the value of an offering they may have. It would have been a good idea to consider that much of their children's birthday cake business was brought in due to this. Advice from customers is weighed heavily by businesses when changes are made, if you know how to go about getting it communicated. Check out their website for a place for suggestions or surveys, and also send a civil letter stating why you think discontinuing this was a bad idea. If the information is presented correctly, it is likely that those who's opinions count will take it up with the powers that be. Assuming of course that it means that much to you.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14970) 11 years ago
Should I email Sarah Palin and have her come to your house and bake your grandson a cake?

(i'm just tea-sing)

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (5/7/2010)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11810) 11 years ago
I wonder if this was a local policy and the head office caught wind of it? I can see corporate adding up hundreds and thousands of free cakes and saying, no way.
supporter
Posted by T Brown (+479) 11 years ago
it was'nt a "policy" it was a nice thing that they did. cutbacks are cutbacks....it is what it is!
I was told it was one of the numerous changes Walmart is making. The bakery lady said she was not happy about most of them. I noticed they redid the walmart on Billings west end. The aisles are huge now. And the number of products for sale has taken a significant dip. Some things are just gone. Others have less variety. All the departments are smaller. I've seen the commercial about how they are packing more into each truck so they're spending less money on transportation. Well, they're surely packing less into the truck for the west end Billings store!

And Richard, I'd be glad to keep Sarah busy making cakes. It would keep her from being out in the public talking!

[This message has been edited by Kacey (5/7/2010)]
Posted by CK (+853) 11 years ago
I am sad that they got rid of jiffy blueberry muffin box mix. Sad.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2307) 11 years ago
They are removing "well known" brands, and substituting their Great Value Brand in. the companies have the option to package their product under that name, and if they choose to not to, it disappears.
Posted by Herbie (+116) 11 years ago
Ok, if a six dollar cake is such a big deal....I'll make it for you.
Posted by Monet (+164) 11 years ago
Albertsons still gives free cakes for first birthdays!
supporter
Posted by T Brown (+479) 11 years ago
I guess I'm a little old fashioned....I made my babies first birthday cakes myself. Just a suggestion....kinda makes the memory of it a bit more special. I'm just sayin'!!!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1906) 11 years ago
Shouldn't the title of this thread be "WTF Walmart"?
Posted by Jody K (+109) 11 years ago
I went to Walmart for my son's first cake back in September. I asked at the bakery if they got the small cake for free. The person working in the bakery told me I could chose one from the selection they had and I was to tell the cashier it was a first birthday cake.

When I got to the front she says, "since when do we do that?" She called the bakery on her phone and they told her to give it to me. I don't know if it has always been something they have done, but I guess not all employee's were aware of it.

It seems to me that a six dollar cake for every one year old doesn't seem like much of a cut back but I guess they have to cut back somewhere.
Posted by Chipmunk Ninja (+71) 11 years ago
ugh... Kacey's at it again... last I heard the world revolves around the sun!
Hi-yah!

Chipmunk Ninja
founder
supporter
Wal-Mart is a business designed to create billions of dollars. The Walton Family is one of the richest in the world. They are not there to give products away. And if it costs the company six dollars per cake times how many million first birthdays there are among their customers' children, it can add up to a big hunk of money. With a big corporation, you can't think of one store but thousands.

One of my dad patients graciously baked cakes for us on our first birthdays. She made a seven minute frosting that looked lovely and set like concrete. There were home movies of Bill poking at the sharp points on the frosting and unable to break through. Mom said the cakes were moist underneath since the inedible frosting make an excellent seal.

What a tragedy that today's children won't have the loving memory of a free cake from some megacorp to remember their first birthday by.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17485) 11 years ago
Bwahahaha! That was a good one, Amorette.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1906) 11 years ago

WHERE'S MY PROCREATEING DAMN CAKE!
For every one of you has taken this forum as an opportunity to shoot your mouth off, listen carefully. I did NOT say Walmart was supposed to give away a baby sized cake with each large birthday cake ordered.I was simply informing people so that they didn't go in and order their cake and expect a small cake for their little one. BTW, Albertsons gives away a small cake so for those parents who really want one, shop Albertsons.

oh...and don't bother trying to change your baby in the bathroom at Laurel's Walmart. They now make you put a dollar in the changing table before it will come down for you to use! I forsee diapers in the parking lot!
Posted by prospector86 (+79) 11 years ago
With all the pro Albertsons that Kacy is giveing out I'm starting to think that she works there and just wants to put walmart down hopeing to improve sales for her employer's.
founder
supporter
THEY CHARGE YOU TO USE THE CHANGING TABLE!?!?!?!?!

Okay, that does seem a bit over the limit even for Wally World.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14970) 11 years ago
Yup, you have to pay to use the "poop deck".
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+168) 11 years ago
I guess they don't want mothers with small children shopping at Wal-Mart. Surely that can be arranged.
Wal-Mart is fast losing any support I have given them in the past. As a levy officer here in Bozeman, I have the unfortunate duty of garnishing wages on several Wal-Mart employee's. It's been several months since any of these people have earned enough wages for the garnishment to take effect. That tells me that Wal-Mart has cut the hours of their people, again. I believe that any employee working less than 30 hours a week is also not eligible for benefits at Wal-Mart. Banking billions on the backs of underpaid help. Now thats the Anerican way.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1796) 11 years ago
...since this thread is about cake, I'm still waiting for Mr. Mowry to chime-in about pie being served...wonder if he will?

...nice baby pix on here, Bob...sad that some babies and tots get that morbidly obese...just sad.

My soon-to-be-5-year-old got a free small cake for her 1st, but that was because the lady who baked them was a co-worker of my ex-wife at the time, and she offered to do it.

Other than that, I guess the lesson here is a simple one: if you want a free cake for your 1-year-old, ask the store of they do that first, rather than take it for granted that they do.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1439) 11 years ago
Shu. It's with trepidation that I must admit cake is not pie. It pains me to say that. I know that probably doesn't sit well with some but I must draw the line somewhere.

Of course, as with any thread that tilts more than 179 degrees from its original vector, I am prepared to revise my culinary criteria and inquire about pie at such a time.
supporter
founder
supporter
A quick phone call to the Laurel Wal-Mart can dispel the rumor about the changing table. The changing table is free. The $1 is if you use the dispenser for a diaper, just like with feminine hygiene products in the ladies room and whatever they may dispense in the mens. So, to reiterate:

WAL-MART DOES NOT CHARGE TO USE THE CHANGING TABLE FOR BABY DIAPERS.

However, if you are short a diaper and need one, some stores have dispensers. The one here has never had one but some stores do.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+753) 11 years ago
Oh goodie, we're bashing Wally now. Love it! You know, whenever you go there you're telling your local family-owned businesses you don't want them around anymore.
But back on topic, keep in mind "Free" is a sales gimmick. In my experience it appeals most to those who don't understand the retail business. This can work to our advantage quite well, I've learned to use it a lot.
I always urge friend to buy local whenever possible. It's good for your community, thus good for you. But we have to think beyond the price tag sometimes.
supporter
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/...ss-retail/

NEW YORK - Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s first-quarter net income rose 10 percent as the world's largest retailer benefited from cost-cutting and robust growth in its international business.

See? The executive management team of WalMart knew if they eliminated free cakes for one year olds in Miles City, profits would undoubtedly exceed expectations.