Coach Jack O'Loughlin dies
Posted by Dean Conklin (+11) 16 years ago
Coach Jack O'Loughlin Dies

Jack O'Loughlin, 76, died Sunday in Tacoma, Washington. He was born April 27, 1927, to Carl and Jenny O'Loughlin. He died Sunday, May 4, in Tacoma. For the first 30 years of his life, he lived in Montana. Rosary at
St. Patrick's Church in Tacoma at 7 p.m. Wednesday, with funeral Mass at the church at 11 a.m. Thursday. In lieu of flowers, please send donations to the American Cancer Society's 24-hour Relay for Life in care of
John O'Loughlin, 1701 N. Prospect, Tacoma, WA 98406. John is one of Jack's six children.
Jack came to Custer County High School in the fall of 1952 to coach football and track and teach American History. Joe Braycich, who had been his assistant during the two years Jack coached at Fort Benton before taking the Miles City job, also came to Miles City with Jack and coached linemen. He also taught journalism.
The 1952 football team, led by quarterback Bob Bennett and running back Bob Lucas, along with all-state lineman Dewayne Anderson, was unbeaten in league play heading into the showdown with Glendive (Dawson County) and Norm Kampschorer. Lucas sprained his ankle the week before that game, and was gimpy. Glendive won 13-7, but the Cowboys were on the Red Devils' 10-yard line and driving when time ran out.
In 1954, O'Loughlin's track team, led by Chuck Carlson, Francie Conner and Leroy Clark (and with some help from, among others, Lazoff, Conklin, Horn, Gable, Mathiason, Fischer), won the state Class A track championship at Interscholastics in Missoula. It was the first state championship in anything for Miles City since 1948.
Jack O'Loughlin had been a star running back for the U of Montana during his college years, when the Grizzlies played in the Pacific Coast Conference against teams like Washington, Stanford, UCLA and Southern Cal. That may have been when his nose was broken. In Miles City, he was a pitcher for Bud's Flowers, and coached the American Legion baseball team.
Jack was a very good teacher, a very good coach -- the best we had then -- and a very good guy. RIP, Jack.
Posted by Andy Hanson (+161) 16 years ago
Those of us who played sports at CCHS in the early 50's remember O'Loughlin well. Since I have done alot of coaching over the years, Jack was the model for how I should act. He and Joe Braycich were such great guys and they always acted out a great love of the sports. Two of my favortie coaches, Dave Rivenes and now Jack O'Loughlin have died and that is sad. But they trained us well and gave me, for one, a life in sports that has continued on. I do not remember my teachers at CCHS well, but I really remember my coaches who were teachers. Joe B. was my favorite teacher of all of high school. And Jack was also a good role model in the classroom. My life has included coaching soccer, basketball, volleyball, skiing and all of my ideas on how to deal with kids came from Jack, Joe and Dave.
So Jack's passing does not go unnoticed by me, he was a great guy, even though he never let me in a game unless we were way ahead, he was just the kind of guy you would expect a good coach to be. He was helpful, funny, always approachable and he knew the game. I am sure that he played the game of life very well, even though we did lose contact with one another.
Thanks Dean for up dating us on the passing of another great guy from our youth.

Andy Hanson
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9770) 16 years ago
I do the Stardust column for the Star and, ironically, Jack had just started to put together his first American Legion baseball team 50 years ago this month! Through my column, I feel as if I have gotten to know some folks who I have never met and I feel bad when they pass away, even if I am reading the obituary in a hundred year old paper.

Amorette