Stop Sarah Palin's Alaska show
Posted by Kacey (+3154) 12 years ago
We can't let an anti-environment extremist like Sarah Palin take over Discovery and spread her "drill here, drill now" message on a science and environment network. Call Discovery between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. Eastern today. If the operator transfers you to Viewer Relations or another department, please wait through the recording until you are able to leave your message for Discovery.

Discovery Communications
240-662-2000, press 0 to speak to an operator
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3752) 12 years ago
Does she not have as much right to speak as you just did Kasey? If you don't like the message you oppose the message, not silence it.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 12 years ago
It's going to be another one of those days.

Discovery Channel is betting that enough teabaggers mouthbreathers morans fine upstanding patriots will start watching this show in order to offset the number of viewers that would rather have their heads struck repeatedly with a hammer than watch Mrs. Palin on the TeeVee. Kacey is hoping to demonstrate to the Discovery Channel that this is a bad bet, in the hopes that the Discovery Channel will therefore scrub the show.

If Mrs. Palin's speech in other venues affects others desires to be associated with her, then that's Mrs. Palin's problem, not Kacey's.

Freedom of Speech doesn't imply Freedom From Responsibility for that speech as well. Obviously, there are corner cases (whistleblowers, etc) where we can discuss appropriate and inappropriate consequences for speech, but I don't think this is one of them.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 12 years ago
I think Sarah needs something to do and why not a television show about Alaska? She lived there, didn't she? Right across from Russia.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1665) 12 years ago
Kyle, aren't Kacey's actions just representative of a free market mentality, directing the allocation of resources toward consumer demand?

Kacey is simply trying to prove to Discovery that the demand for a Palin-free channel is greater than the demand for her show. I thought this idea was one of the cornerstones of our society?

[This message has been edited by Denise Selk (5/4/2010)]
Posted by Smiley (+854) 12 years ago
I don't think Kacey has heard, but don't you know? It's a comedy where an innocent Alaskan makes herself look like a total tool for an hour.
Posted by Wendy Marsh (+4) 12 years ago
You don't have to buy what she selling. It's better than watching the idiot bear guy the was consumed by his "friends." Listening to someone else's point of view doesn't mean you have to change yours, or are you afraid it just might bend it.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2312) 12 years ago
Here's my take. Don't want to watch her? I know you have the internet, so you have a TV Guide. Look it up when she is on.... and don't watch the channel during that time. Simple. Quit your bitching.

[This message has been edited by Josh Rath (5/4/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+474) 12 years ago
I want to watch Sarah Palin on the Discovery channel. Especially the commercials, so I know which products to boycott. It is one of the pleasures of a free market.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9307) 12 years ago
Callow Youth wrote:
Look it up when she is on.... and don't watch the channel during that time. Simple. Quit your bitching.

There you go Kacey - just STFU and enjoy the pap your corporate media gatekeepers decide to air. There's plenty of channels of it to choose from after all.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15097) 12 years ago
We can't let an anti-environment extremist like Sarah Palin take over Discovery and spread her "drill here, drill now" message on a science and environment network.

Guess I don't understand why drilling for oil makes one an anti-environmental extremist. Perhaps if you understood all of the requirements (which is a good thing) anyone that wants to drill must meet to get a permit, you would have a different point of view. I think that Discovery Channel showing what energy companies are doing to be environmentally responsible is a good thing. It's about time they told both sides of the story. Consider the following:

Posted by polar bear (+516) 12 years ago
I think it will be entertaining and no intelligent person will take her seriously. If we keep her busy maybe she will stay out of everyone's business.
Posted by CS Hunt (+323) 12 years ago
Hoorah Sarah!!! Go! Go! Go!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 12 years ago
Drill baby drill! Isn't that what Bristol used to scream at Levi before they were "discovered"?
That was crude and tacky Bob.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 12 years ago
Thanks, Kyle. I find Sarah Palin crude and tacky.
Well I just got zinged