Attention BOE family
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
From the Miles City Star FIFTY YEARS AGO:

Harold Boe, English instructor at Custer County High School, has been awarded a United State Educational Exchange Grant to teach English in Norway at the Notodden secondary school there. Einar Haakon Ofsdahl of Norway will teach at Custer County High School in exchange for Boe.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17335) 11 years ago
Dang....too bad that didn't happen in 1979.....
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
Doesn't matter... you would have still had to copy off of Kitty Carlson.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+249) 11 years ago
Thanks, Richard. Your response makes me chuckle.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 11 years ago
Harold Boe was an amazing English teacher. I enjoyed his classes so much. He was also a wonderful human being and an amazing musician.
supporter
Posted by Jon Boe (+156) 11 years ago
Amorette, thanks for the memories and making me feel old.

I remember when Dad applied for the program and they told him it would be a few years before anything happened. He and Mom went out and purchased bedroom furniture for us kids, no small feat on a teachers salary back then, and then he got the letter (no email back then) and we were off the next year.

Our third class tickets on the Stavanger Fjord (think Titanic with the cabin that Jack had), a summer in Oslo with a 2 bedroom apartment when Dad did the Norwegian language course at the University of Oslo, then off the Notodden for the school year, Another 2 bedroom apartment -- this with 4 kids. A coke/wood stove for heating -- my job to start in the morning before skiing to school (in the winter at least). The basement room delivered a ton of coke, a couple cords of wood, and a ton of potatoes. That kept us going. Things changed over there a whole lot after they found oil.

I turned 10 over there. This year I turn 60. Ouch!!!

Cheers,

Jon
supporter
Posted by Steve Z (+998) 11 years ago
Congrats! I had Harold Boe as a teacher. Although I struggled with English in high school I did enjoy his sense of humor and class.
founder
Posted by Ken Ziebarth (+320) 11 years ago
I am also a survivor of Mr. Boe's legendary senior English Literature class. I still read Atlantic and Harpers (occasionally) and remember learning to think and do research. But I don't think he ever really approved of my term paper on Jazz.
Since I graduated in 1960, that must have been the year before he went to Norway.
Ken Ziebarth
Posted by Gail Finch Shipek (+94) 11 years ago
My Mr. Boe memory is diagramming the longest sentences you ever did see. I think they were from the New Yorker.
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+819) 11 years ago
I grew up with the Boe kids, and our parents (Doc and Mary Elting) were close friends of Harold and Mugo. After many years, I have been reunited with my friend, Barbara, Jon's older sister. I have wonderful memories of Mr. Boe's English class, too. He was a terrific teacher, and his home garden was (and continues to be) an inspiration.