Fun2U Announces Major Capital Fundraising Campaign
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Matt Smith (+794) 11 years ago
Miles City Non Profit Announces Major Capital Campaign
Miles City, Montana USA April 19, 2010

Million Dollar Monday
Fun2U a local 3 1/2 year old 501(c)3 non profit organization has announced its plans for raising approximately 1.4 million dollars in funds to be used for building a community pool & recreation center.

The non- profit is seeking 500 donors aka "Pool Founders" @ $2,000 each, to raise the initial 1 million dollars it will take to start construction in 2011. In kind donations of material & labor is expected to be in the $400k range. Fun2U has secured a 10 year lease renewable 10 times on an 8000 sq. ft. structure owned by Custer County. Fun2U has been renovating & planning renovation for the facility for approximately one year.

President Robin Hogan states "Fun2U has tremendous community support. People want our group to succeed. The past three years have been spent visiting with pool engineers, visiting various pool facilities, outlining cost's, estimating profit & loss and fundraising. All the pieces of the puzzle are in place at this time, we just lack the funding. Collectively over 7000 hours of volunteer work has been put forth to this date in the name of Fun2U. After 88 years without a community swimming pool, we are ready to take the plunge. We envision this as changing Miles City for the better, for generations to come."

Fun2U's focus is providing a safe family oriented, pool & rec center to benefit all SE Montanans. Fundraising for the capitol campaign begins on April 19, 2010 and ends on July 19, 2010. A listening session is planned by Fun2U to receive community feedback in May.

More.For more about this subject please visit http://www.Fun2UMC.com

Fun2U Information: www.Fun2Umc.com or 406-234-3481

Point of Contact: Robin Hogan 406-853-4729

Fun2U Background: Fun2U was formed in 2007. It consist of 7 board members & over 70 volunteers. It's primary mission is to enhance the lives of Eastern Montana residents by providing physical & non physical activities.

OK Miles City...lets get the word out. Please add this information to your Facebook, Twitter & other social networking sites.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
Sorry but I am offended by "88 years without a community swimming pool." Whether you like the municipal swimming lake or not, it has existed since the 1930's and it is a community swimming pool. I am also puzzled by the exact number of 88 years. Feel free to say "without ever having a concrete pool" but not "88 years--implying there was one precisely 89 years ago, which there wasn't--without a community swimming pool."

In other words, don't tell fibs in order to raise money. Be honest. Miles City had a concrete pool in the YMCA, which opened in 1909 and closed in 1932, but you had to be a member to swim. And since shortly after that, Miles City has had and still has a municipal swimming lake that is open to the general public.

But "88 years without a community swimming pool" is a bald-faced lie.
Posted by ds (+26) 11 years ago
Amorette,

It is people like you who are going to ruin this project. Miles City needs a community pool, and no matter what you say that sewer lagoon the mayor and yourself want to call a pool is not a pool, I for one will never let my child step one foot in that mud puddle. this project is very worth while and needs the community support. Just because you can find a minor error in a message posted on this website does not mean you can come out and call the Fun 2 You people liars. I don't understand why certain people in the city government, and people like you are so against this project my guess it is jealosy because you did not think of the idea, since most of the people that are opposed of this project like seeing their name inthe paper or posed on this website
Posted by TK (+1623) 11 years ago
Hence the word POOL, not LAKE, which are two different things.
Posted by Jeezie (+21) 11 years ago
Amorette, please understand why Miles City needs this. Forget that mud puddle you call a pool. Please look at an actual recreational/sports facility like what can be found in modern, forward thinking towns, study how they can benefit the citizens year-round, and think again.
You generally make more intelligent posts here.
I really doubt this will ever come to be, we've been fighting such backward, hick-town apathy and ignorance all our lives.
If it does ever happen my next concern would be that it becomes a fag hangout, this can be a problem at such places and then you wouldn't dare let your kids go there. It's taking over in Miles City apparently.
founder
supporter
I am all for the Fun2U project. I just think it is disingenuous to make is sound as if 88 years ago, some mysterious force made a pool disappear, never to be seen again. The Oasis is not a sewage lagoon or a cesspool. Check the bacterial counts which are taken every week. (Spotted Eagle IS a cesspool and sewage lagoon and no one should swim out there but the Oasis is not some sort of ghastly disease laden swamp.)

I'm just saying that acknowledging that other people consider the Oasis a "swimming pool" to be honest. That saying Miles City HAS a community pool but is is NOT a concrete pool is also honest.

There shouldn't be an antagonistic issue here but when the Fun2U say there is NO pool and hasn't been for 88 years (I'm still trying to suss that one out), that is antagonistic.

Many of us have wonderful memories of what we thought of, in our childhood, as the city swimming pool. I would be delighted if a new generation creates wonderful memories of a new concrete pool. I just don't see that one has to be eternally at the expense of the other.

My husband grew up in Whitefish. They have a lake. Having property on the lake makes it mucho valuable. Lakes are not evil. Some people even swim in them
Again, FORGET THE LAKE. Please go look at a real pool and notice what goes on there, when, and who. Pools operate year-round, what does your favorite lake look like in January? How would a swim team work out in that?
Please go look at a real pool and study it. Research "Swim Team" online and see if some of that would be enjoyed by our kids and adults alike. There is no age limit, you know.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by souix (+301) 11 years ago
Amorette was simply pointing out that the historic reference to the community having/not having a pool was incorrect. No need to be snippy. Like it or not the Oasis fits the definition of a pool. I imagine that everyone has an idea of what amenities a pool should have, but I spent many warm afternoons at the Oasis, while I was a youngster and like it or not we simply called it the pool.
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+515) 11 years ago
I kind of agree with Amorrette. I even wiki'ed pool, and it defined it as an artificially enclosed body of water. I wholly support Fun2U (although I can't financially), but to say Miles hasn't had a public pool isn't true.

I wish Fun2U all the success in the world, but I would still let my kids swim at the Oasis. This world is becoming far too sterile.

[This message has been edited by M T Zook (4/19/2010)]
This isn't about the Oasis. You are. This is about a real swimming pool. I digress. Look at a real swimming pool. Your Oasis is awesome, great, beautiful, fun. What lovely memories you have of a the ol swimmin hole. Did anybody threaten to take that away from you?
This is about a real swimming pool. Year around. The real thing, which you may have never seen before. Totally alien concept, I fear. Your computer will show you a real pool. In the search bar just enter "swim team" and see what comes up.
I'm gonna have to do this EVERY time you old farts bring up the Oasis. There is NOTHING about a real pool that shares similarity with a pond. Even the water is different.
This isn't about the Oasis. Get it?
supporter
sponsor
Posted by souix (+301) 11 years ago
Jeezi,

Hope you are not on the committee...your hostility may turn off a lot of "old farts" who may be interested in donating to the cause.
Posted by Stewey (+16) 11 years ago
As well as "fags".
Posted by Mandyrosy (+189) 11 years ago
P.S. Not to nitpick, but ...

Jeezie,

Fun2U currently has plans to build an outdoor pool. What will that look like in January?
founder
supporter
Oh, yeah. Great way to bring in donations. Insult people with a history of actually liking swimming. Emphasize the positive, rather than the negative, and you might be a wee bit more successful. While I am an OLD FART and PROUD OF IT, I am well aware of what concrete swimming pools are. My mother used to swim in the Natatorium in Great Falls as a kid and I did, too. LOVED saying "Natatorium." Also in hotels, universities I attended, resorts I have been to (lazy rivers & indoor/outdoor pools). Calling me ignorant hardly gets me to open the old wallet.

Instead of saying "Miles City never had a pool," which is untrue, say "Miles City had a pool that was the envy of the state in its time (which is was, by the way. Back in the '50's and 60's, when we had a nationally competitive swimming team and many AAU meets were held here), now Fun2U is building for the next century. WHY will this new pool be great? Not in contrast to the old pool but what features does the new pool bring to the table? It won't be an indoor pool--at least, not for some time--but you could emphasize the location, dead across town from the old pool.

Explain what the heck a "rec" center is? I gather a gym for basketball and locker rooms but will it be more? WHAT more? As someone with zero interest in basketball, I would like to know what else can we look forward to? Will there be outdoor play equipment? What facilities will Fun2U have? Tell me WHY Fun2U is great WITHOUT insulting anyone who loved the old pool. Who knows? You might actually get MORE people behind you.

And would someone PLEASE explain the number "88." Is it a mystic Masonic number? Why was that number chosen for the years when Miles City "didn't" have a pool?

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (4/19/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
And would someone PLEASE explain the number "88." Is it a mystic Masonic number? Why was that number chosen for the years when Miles City "didn't" have a pool?

Because #88, Dale Earnhardt, Jr., is going to make a large donation to the effort.

[This message has been edited by Richard Bonine, Jr (4/19/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Dona Stebbins (+819) 11 years ago
I join Amorette in hoping that "Jeezie" is not part of the fund-raising group. Her references to "fags" and "Old farts" are a real turn off, and indicative of her intelligence level (or lack thereof.)
The Fun2U group has their work cut out for them as it is. I wish them luck.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1606) 11 years ago
After the "fag" comment, I don't believe the 88 has anything to do with the number of keys on Liberace's piano.

I recommend having Kathy Griffin emcee a fund raising event. Another idea would be to utilize a fag tax on downtown sales. If a fag hanging around buys anything add on a 25% surcharge. You can identify a fag by their pink boots. After the pool opens you can tell who they are when they begin to synchronize swim together.

Cheers!
FH
Posted by MC gay (+8) 11 years ago
Jeezie,

Please do let me know where all of those "fags" who are taking over Miles City are. I've had such trouble finding a date since I've been here!

(Sigh) If we only had a cement pond!
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1500) 11 years ago
I hope Jeezie is not representing Fun2U!!

[This message has been edited by MRH (4/19/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Stone (+1596) 11 years ago
Matt, just re-post this message again in a new forum and maybe it will not be hijacked by A holes.
founder
supporter
And leave out the mystery 88 years with no pool, please! Then I won't have to make rectal comments.
Posted by Robin Hogan (+32) 11 years ago
Fun2U volunteers and directors have spent over three and a half years preparing for taking our project public. The announcement that you read at the beginning of this post is a draft of what will be released to the community as a press release. The concern that was referenced regarding "88 years" is specific to documentation in the Miles City Star with written requests from the public to "dig up" for donations for a pool dating as far back as 1922. One of our volunteers graciously donated her time to look back through newspaper archives to determine how long the public demand for a community concrete swimming pool has been present. Thank you for catching a concern that will be immediately corrected in our final press release that will be submitted to local and regional newspapers!

Please note that the mission of Fun2U is simply to enhance the lives of Eastern Montanans through physical, recreational and educational activities. We are committed to serving the entire community and plan to have our facility accessible to all ages, incomes and physical abilities.

Activities that Fun2U have offered to date with respect to recreation include the following summer camps: Photography, Irish Dance, Metal Working, Woodshop, First Aid/CPR, Play Date in the Park amongst others. We have also held a Toddler Soccer camp and the Woolhouse/Fun2U run and walk. The primary focus (Phase I) of Fun2U is to build an outdoor concrete swimming pool heated by solar panels which will extend a normal swimming season by approximately three months. Ultimately, the concrete swimming pool may become enclosed with appropriate funding and public support. A recreational center (Phase II) is planned in the future and will be a means for persons to engage in anaerobic and aerobic exercise as well as educational and social activities. The Fun2U board welcomes fresh ideas and aims to build and equip a recreational facility that will be thoroughly enjoyed by all community residents. We welcome your feedback and ask that if you have specific comments or suggestions relative to Fun2U, please visit our website at www.fun2Umc.com. We don't want to miss your valuable thoughts or suggestions if we miss a posting on milescity.com! There are opportunities for you to give feedback, volunteer and even make a donation to support our effort.

Robin Hogan
President of Fun2U
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 11 years ago
Larry, chiming in anytime now to remove someone would be greatly welcome.
supporter
sponsor
Amorette,

Sorry you did not like & were insulted by the comment in my original post.

I believe Robin covered it above as to why we use that analogy.

Folks, don't jump to hard on Amorette, she is entitled to her opinion. I do appreciate all the support she & her husband have given Fun2U in the past & I look forward to her input in the future.

I knew posting here would bring comments both positive & negative. We on the Board of directors value both.

Regards,

Matt Smith
Posted by J. Dyba (+1350) 11 years ago
I really like this Robin Hogan gal. Someone give Eric a good game when you see him next!
supporter
Thanks Robin for all of you hard work. I wish you absolute success in your endeavors.
Posted by Paula Collins (+26) 11 years ago
The Fun2U volunteers deserve a big "Thank You!" from this community for all of the hard work and planning that has gone into this project. I hope you get the support and funding needed to make it a success!!!
I too am sorry I had to use strong words to get a point made. I want Fun2U to happen but I doubt it can because of the obvious attitude, and even the history this town and with ignorance of the sport of swimming and the lack of any desire to give people something fun to do that would be good for them. We'd have no problem getting another drinking and gambling club going here, huh? Worst of all, this town is broke, most people in it are broke and tight. I feel very fortunate to have made my money the easy way long ago and I can be reasonably generous when I want to those I feel deserve it.
What a coincidence, Amorette, my nephews swam at the Nat in the late seventies, were on the public swim team in Great Falls and on the CMR high school swim team. So maybe you actually do know something about the sport of swimming. You don't act like it though, thinking the mud pond is a swimming pool.
I won't put money on Fun2U because again, I don't think it will happen and I don't think it would be used for what I would approve of. Plus I already pay half the dues for three of my grandkids to swim with the Wave Ryders, an excellent swim program in a classy town. I love Miles City but I'm only here nowadays to help keep my sister alive. I'll be leaving after she does.
I would give ideas, however. I found some input on the subject in another story I agree with, but could take it a lot farther.
"Form a swim team". This is a group of athletes, generally youngsters who have researched what a swim team is and what they do and what it does for them. They'll need a leader, normally called a coach. A Board of Directors is generally made up of parents who govern and administer the team like a real business. Be sure to include a "Masters" level on the team, this is for swimmers beyond the college team years. Google "Masters Swimming" to learn more, there are people senior to me even still swimming and competing.
It costs about $40 a month per swimmer to be on a team such as the WaveRyders. The team pays the pool rent out of this, and pool rent (two hours a day five days a week) is expensive!!! For now, pay only half the rent (donation to Fun) and use the rest to raise more funds to donate to Fun. Which swim teams really do, they get out there and sell advertising in their program and on their team banners. They hold car washes and have fundraiser barbecues and such.
Guess what else is gonna happen? The Miles City Swim Team can gain notoriety as the "team without a pool". This could become a huge nationwide appeal for donations, start by making this dilemna known to all other swim teams, there are thousands of them in America. Begin by registering as a member of USA Swimming, the governing body of the sport at all levels. This is very important, don't think you can run a team without this membership.
Gotta go. good luck with this, this will be my last input on the subject.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 11 years ago
And that people, is why you should never share prescription medications.
founder
supporter
Jeezie, call Sigrid Laird or Sue Kuehl and ask them about a "swim team." They will explain they competed and were ranked nationally as teenagers. The reason the Miles City swimming pool has those two diving boards, which you will not find in most community pools, is because they were needed to conduct AAU sanctioned diving meets.

I will also continue to be personally insulted by your stunningly obnoxious attitude but that is a personal issue and unrelated to Fun2U.

As for the 88 years, AHA!!! There was a concrete pool in Miles City in 1922 but it belonged to the YMCA. Interesting fact--gents swam in the all-together at the YMCA because it was considered healthier than wearing those heavy wool bathing suits that were in use in those days. Ladies were granted a few days a month and later a few days a week to swim. They wore swimming suits. There was, I believe, NO mixed swimming in those days. Swimming lessons were given at the "Y" until it closed and there were whole generations of Miles Citians that learned to swim there just as several generations learned at the Miles City Swimming Pool.

The "Pool" in the high school basement was never finished. I have never been able to find out what happened. It was partially built and the building was definitely designed for it (those air shafts in the middle of the building that open into the rest rooms, for example) but it was never filled and never used. I wonder if the 1922 reference was to the failure of that effort, as the high school opened in 1921.

At any rate, I suggest that number and the implication that there was not any pool in Miles City be left out of any announcements and/or grant applications as it is not accurate and would be confusing to anyone familiar with Miles City. A sentence about long time efforts to create a concrete pool would be much better.

Remember, the Oasis was built in the 1930's. Thing called "The Great Depression" was going on so budgets were tight. In later years, before air conditioning was common in homes and young people liked to broil themselves lying on the sand, the city pool was wildly popular. There were days when 1,000 people (yes, 1,000) used the pool to escape the heat. The City couldn't dream of building a concrete pool big enough to accommodate the hundreds and hundreds of swimmers who flocked to the pool in the summer.

Times have changed. Homes are air conditioned. Some people know that "sunbathing" and "tanning" are dangerous and aging. While some of us still love to build sand castles, the sheer numbers that filled the pool in my long ago youth are gone.

Again, there is no need to insult the Oasis in order to support the Fun2U efforts! The location alone--a pool on the opposite side of town from the original--is one reason to support it. It's a long walk from Haynes to the Oasis.

The Oasis can still hold swimming lessons, if they have certified instructors, and can still be a great place for small children to enjoy the beach. Fun2U can be a place for swimming lessons, if they have certified instructors, and place for other activities. LOTS of them from the sound of it!

As I said before, one does not need to be at the exclusion of the other! In fact, our long history in this community of supporting swimming and other recreation should be in favor of Fun2U.

Just be careful with your phraseology and all will be right with the world!
Posted by Jimmie (+61) 11 years ago
I'll be leaving after she does.

Amen. Best comment I've heard in a bit.
supporter
Since this thread has turned into the history of concrete pools in Miles City, doesn't the pool at the Red Rock count for something? The Sacred Heart Altar Boys Association "SHABA" use to go swimming there frequently. Also, the Custer County Search and Rescue used it to train scuba divers in the 70's.
Posted by gypsykim (+1556) 11 years ago
After putting 90 miles on my car tonight to lap swim in Forsyth, I, for one, applaud the efforts of Fun2U. I have supported their fundraisers every chance I get.

For what it's worth, the definition of a swimming pool from Wikipedia is: A swimming pool, swimming bath, wading pool, or simply a pool, is a usually artificially constructed container filled with water intended for swimming or water-based recreation. There are many standard sizes; the largest and deepest is the Olympic size. A pool can be built either above or in the ground, and from materials such as metal, plastic, fiberglass or concrete. Based on this definition, the Oasis is not a swimming pool.

As a lifelong swimmer, I have never been to the Oasis and am in the habit of frequently driving to Forsyth to swim. Not only is it my personal desire to have a swimming pool in Miles City, I do believe this facility is a benefit to our entire community. All ages, sizes and ability-levels can benefit from a swimming pool in a variety of ways.

We need to stop arguing and work together to make Miles City a better place. Support the efforts of Fun2U.
supporter
Well Kim, when I look at Wiki, it says it is an artificially enclosed body of water. Whatever. Like I said, I hope Fun2U succeeds, but I also enjoyed my times at the Oasis and as I said before, I would gladly take my kids there.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 11 years ago
Jeezie,

Anyone with a small amount of intelligence can state their case without name calling. You did NOT need to say the things you did to get your point across.

Perhaps you should go to the library or to Amorette's office (I dare you) and research how much Miles City knows about swimming.

You need to stop talking down to people like we're all a bunch of hicks.

Big mistake. Big, big mistake.
founder
supporter
The two small pools on the side of the main body of water at the Oasis are Olympic standard size. They used to have races and play water polo in the deeper one. The hole under the high board was to accommodate AAU diving competitions back in the day.

Fun2U had a great article (concrete is the key!) on the front page of the Star tonight plus pictures. Again, it is possible to support Fun2U without denigrating the existing facility. I support Fun2U even though I do not swim (sunk like a proverbial stone when I was kid and despite some dedicated efforts of teachers at the pool, never learned) and I support the old pool.

See? No strain there. No insults. Just progress and fun for even more people!
supporter
I wonder if Jeezie is any relation to Jesus who walked on the water rather than swim in it. There is a certain cosmic above-us-all tone to his/her writing concerning the uses of water.

FYI Jeezie, obviously you are new around here, but rule number 1 is never argue with Amorette when it comes to the history of Miles City and the activities of its people. She has forgotten more than most of us ever knew.
Posted by A.Voice (+63) 11 years ago
What i want to know is how much the community has raised for the pool and where that money is? They have had so many fundraising events here like the wine and food festival, a band on main street and various other things...im just curious how much the community has raised and what that money is being used for?? Its been a few years of raising funds....
Posted by Tracy Lynn (+28) 11 years ago
One summer my son went to Havre for another extende visit with his dad.He became best friends with some swimmers who took him from a basic swimer to one ready and willing to compete.Upon return home he so missed his friends and his new sport that he wanted to move to Havre.I had to give in and let him go, in hindsight I wish I had moved there too.I could say I lost my son because this town kept turning down chances to have a pool.In all honesty it was the best thing that could happen, his dad had none of the problems I did with a bored teenager as he found a sport he loved and would work hard at.I got to see him swim at a high school meet at Great Falls Bison's new pool in 1984 and there I figured out our town was so lacking.Unfortunately he never did get good enough to make the team in college, aparently you have to start a lot younger than 14 to do that?
I'll talk him into making a donation to Fun2U because I know he can and think he'd would want today's kids to have the opportunity to swim. Swimmingt improved his life and got him out of this town.
To everyone who wants to just whine that lack of a pool has caused the social downfall of children, let me say....BS! And to those who think MC is so bad...move. If not pitch in and help make it better.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+763) 11 years ago
[deleted - long link fixed below]

Check out both pages of this ongoing story about a town with way too many pools. And the plea for a $10 million grant to replace the one it can't afford to maintain.
founder
supporter
Posted by gypsykim (+1556) 11 years ago
I just returned from Gillette, Wyoming and had the opportunity to visit their wonderful new rec center. It is an incredible facility and Miles City would be fortunate to have one-fourth of it. While I was there on Saturday, every part of it was in use--the tennis courts, both walking tracks, both weight rooms (free weights and machines), the cardio center, the lap pool, the climbing wall...

We need to come together as a community and help FUN2U realize their goal and build an aquatic center that Miles City can be proud of.
Where is the land where the pool would be built? I checked the website but it doesn't tell.
founder
supporter
It's part of the old Pine Hills school property the county took over from the state. Right next to the old lodge that sits on the front corner of Leighton and Haynes. I think.
Posted by Robin Hogan (+32) 11 years ago
Location: Fun2U has a 10 year lease, renewable 10 times from Custer County for the land located at the South East corner of Leighton and Haynes Avenues. The Custer Lodge (8000 square foot building) lies on 5.67 acres and is leased by Fun2U. There are two signs on the property that read "Fun2U". Our plan is to renovate 2,500 square feet of the existing Custer Lodge for a state mandated bathhouse. An outdoor concrete pool will be built behind Custer Lodge; it is currently demarcated with blue tape and wooden sticks in order to give the public an idea for the relative size and location. The pool will have a zero depth entrance for easy access for the handicapped, toddlers and any one with difficulty entering a swimming pool via stairs.

Financial Information: Fun2U files a 990 EZ yearly and it is available for public review upon request for any individual who would like to know detailed financial information.

The Fun2U board of directors would sincerely like to thank all of the individuals who have publicly supported Fun2U on this thread. We have had very positive support on our Facebook page, website feedback and through personal phone calls. We would be happy to answer any personal questions you may have and are grateful to be a part of a community that is ready to assist us meet this objective for our community!
supporter
For what it is worth...

I looked up the proposed location on the NRCS Soil Survey (see photo below). From a soil engineering standpoint, it is NOT suitable for the proposed uses.

The soil is a Marvan silty clay that is rated as moderately corrosive to concrete, highly corrosive to steel, very limited for shallow excavation (shallow depth to groundwater and flooding) and very limited for dwellings without basements (high shrink-swell potential.

I am all for the project, but I would highly recommend the selection of another site. It would be a shame to raise all of the money for this project and have it fall apart in just a few years or have extra ordinarily high maintenance costs because it is in an unsuitable soil. The design costs for an engineered structure that might work in this location here are going to be very high.

Again, I am all for the project, but very concerned about building it in this location.

supporter
sponsor
Richard,

Your right on target to analyze the soil. This has been brought up with the pool engineers & soil testing is part of the plan.

I am not sure when the Custer Lodge was built, but it seems to have stood the test of time extremely well over the years. We are working with a pool engineer that has been involved with many pool projects across the state.

Great input.

Regards,

Matt Smith
Posted by Steve Allison (+981) 11 years ago
I believe the soil testing started last week.
Posted by Tracy Lynn (+28) 11 years ago
I want to share this. Thanks Bret.
[deleted - long link fixed below]
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 11 years ago
Posted by Connie Delaware (+12) 11 years ago
This is just a thought...
In the '80s, there was a major fund raiser in the Miles City area for another public water area. It was known as the Cherry Creek Reservoir project. I know there was a huge amount raised for it. So; since it never came to fruition, maybe the moneys could be tracked down and used for this DIFFERENT TYPE of public water use project....
Posted by Patricia (+61) 11 years ago
Jeezie: Yes, this town is broke (hence the fundraising efforts of EVERY organization in town), and the people who live here are broke also. I wouldn't call them tight, though. The people of Miles City usually give generously when they believe in a cause (or if it's school related). Maybe the people of Miles City are just "fundraised" out? (Look at the milescity.com website or the community calendars or even the Star and see how many fundraisers there are: to cover some one's medical expenses, for the band to take trips, for families who have lost their home due to a fire, for the Rotary Club, etc. etc. etc.) These are all worthy causes, but again, the people of Miles City only have so much money and we have to pick our causes to which we want to donate.

Robin: Why can't the YMCA come back to Miles City? Dillon has a YMCA and it is half the size of MC. Just wondering.
Will you have a video gaming room, because some kids are only interested in playing X-box all day long?

Gypsykim: Gillette has one thing we don't have and never will have: OIL MONEY (hence the reason for their new everything (school, rec center, community college, etc)
supporter
Gypsykim: Gillette has one thing we don't have and never will have: OIL MONEY (hence the reason for their new everything (school, rec center, community college, etc)

Actually, it's more about coal and coalbed methane than oil. Something you don't have now, but could in the future. Miles CIty doesn't have a diverse economy because they don't want one. They are also somewhat held hostage by an antiquated tax structure that inhibits the formation of a more diverse economy.
Posted by john w caylor (+89) 11 years ago
Well said Richard.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+586) 11 years ago
The Y in Dillon is a $2.5 million facility built on donated ground. Money was raised locally with exception of couple of grants. YMCAs usually require a population of 25,000 to support enough family memberships to keep one operational. Dillon's is thriving.
http://www.southwesternmo...yymca.com/
Posted by Patricia (+61) 11 years ago
Oh! Thanks for the info.
supporter
Posted by Jeff Denton (+763) 11 years ago
Yes! I haven't been to Dillon for quite a few years, I doubt it has grown a whole lot but I am extremely impressed that they could build and operate a YMCA. I assume they did it because THEY WANTED TO badly enough to make it happen. I am certain Fun2U can do it too, but I question how badly the people of Miles City really want it. Have things changed that much there?
Reading through the website given, I noticed some really neat things mentioned about the Mission, the Values, the benefits to body and mind that the YMCA is all about. Any community should welcome, embrace, support such an attempt to promote this. Looking at the membership rates I find it is very reasonable.
The Fun website doesn't seem to update very often, the Facebook page is practically ignored. I wonder how the efforts to proceed are going?
founder
supporter
At one time, an earlier pool effort contacted the Y.M.C.A. and they said they'd be glad to come as soon as Miles City had $1 million in the bank. Pools are pricey, ain't no way around that.

The "Y" here went out of business in the Great Depression. Building is still there but heavily remodeled inside.