The United States Postal Service
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 11 years ago
This is another one of my random questions but if the postal service is a Government run agency why does its website end with .com rather than .gov?

In other news it doesn't look good for my Saturday Amazon.com deliveries:

Pressure Mounts for Radical Changes to Postal Service
http://www.aolnews.com/na...2F19435773

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (4/13/2010)]
supporter
sponsor
Posted by souix (+303) 11 years ago
Via Wikipedia...

The USPS is often mistaken for a government-owned corporation but is legally defined as an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States," (39 U.S.C. ยง 201) as it is wholly owned by the government and controlled by the Presidential appointees and the Postmaster General.

As a quasi-governmental agency, it has many special privileges, including sovereign immunity, eminent domain powers, powers to negotiate postal treaties with foreign nations, and an exclusive legal right to deliver first-class and third-class mail. Indeed, in 2004, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in a unanimous decision that the USPS was not a government-owned corporation, and therefore could not be sued under the Sherman Antitrust Act.

The Postal Reorganization Act signed by President Richard Nixon on August 12, 1970, replaced the cabinet-level Post Office Department with the independent United States Postal Service. The Act took effect on July 1, 1971.

Since its reorganization into an independent organization, the USPS has become self-sufficient and has not directly received taxpayer-dollars since the early 1980s. The decline of mail volume due to increased usage of e-mail has forced the postal service to look to other sources of revenue while cutting costs to maintain this financial balance
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3714) 11 years ago
I don't know what is more amazing. The fact that I can write a note to my friend in Florida and have someone come to my house and pick it up and carry it all the way to her house for less than 50 cents, or that I can have some electrons take it there instantly for free.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3747) 11 years ago
Beats the hell out of the alternative Levi:

Posted by Steve Allison (+983) 11 years ago
email is not quit free. You pay for the computer, you pay for the internet service with its email features and you pay a monthly electric bill. You are getting other services along with the email but it is not free.
supporter
Posted by JCF (+395) 11 years ago
but the email costs are fixed costs - or sunk costs if look at it as a required cost - and no matter how many emails you send, the price doesn't go up. So, if you want to send one email, or browse one website, you pay for it all, and then any "snail mail" you send is just that much extra cost.

of course, I send letters all the time. now, the act of mailing a letter, really signifies to the recipient that you cared enough about them to mail them a letter. means even more than it used to, and is certainly more wanted by the recipient than some damn forward of a stupid form letter email.

[This message has been edited by JCF (4/14/2010)]