Mickey D's priciing... just wondering..
Posted by jimdeastfork (+91) 10 years ago
I was just wondering if I am the only person who has ever questioned the pricing of value meals at Mickey D's. Specifically, when the customer opts to "go large" for an extra cost of 50/60 cents per meal.

For almost a year now Mickey D's around this part of Montana have priced all sizes of soft drinks at one dollar. The difference in price between a medium and large drink in the value meal should therefore be nil, I assumed. The difference between medium and large fries is $.25 the last time I checked... Am I out of my mind to expect Mickey D's to "go large" for an additional quarter? Heck, it is Mickey D's that has established the value of all soft drink sizes to be a buck.. do you suppose that does not apply when buying a value meal? Or am I supposed to be impressed that the price of value is "larger" than I expect.. Heck I really do not believe that any extra value or size is added to the sandwich/meat product part of the "value meal".

Guess, because of the pricing of soft drinks and fries as individual items I am questioning the meaning of "value" in the phrase, "value meal". Also, would I be out of line to wonder if the extra few coins every time one of us "goes large" could be construed as "ill gotten gains". I suspect those few coins of extra price paid have added up to a very large sum in the many months since all soft drinks have been valued at the same price.
Posted by Bruce Helland (+592) 10 years ago
Ah, Marketing, marketing, marketing. Just dont biggie size. Just looking for an impulse buy.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9764) 10 years ago
I'm pretty sure that about 95% of the revenue brought in by any food establishment, is via either hard or soft drinks. When I was younger, we had a business that involved soft soda, and basically you get this can of -- I dunno what you want to call it other than syrup, and then it's mixed with a CO2 thing -- and you end up with either Pepsi or whatever. It cost less than 10 cents per drink to make, and I'm being generous. Basically water costs the same amount. I would recommend avoiding the whatever priced soft drink at the fast food place, or the hard drink at another place ... otherwise you are getting screwed.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 10 years ago
Just skip the super-size. Your wallet, waistline, and heart will thank you.
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 10 years ago
Something to remember is that their pricing and offering to enlarge the package is for their profits not for your savings. Most people automatically super-size with out checking pricing so they win. If the large meal is less then ordering individual items then you still save money, if not then order individually. This is not just McDonalds, it is surprising how often the large economy size is more expensive per oz. at the grocery store.
Posted by Dave Golterman (+237) 10 years ago
I remember watching Johnny Carson one night when he had consumer advocate David Horowitz on the show. He demonstrated how some restaurants cheated customers buying a large drink by taking a full large size glass and pouring it into the small size glass. They were exactly the same capacity, the only difference was an optical illusion created by a larger and thicker glass.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14799) 10 years ago
I know a guy who once told me that he always orders the "petite" cut of prime rib because no matter what size you order it's usually the same.
supporter
Posted by Bill Freese (+473) 10 years ago
Many years ago, a friend and I examined a mug from a Miles City restaurant which I will not name. We were astounded at the thickness of the glass. In particular, the way it tapered, getting thicker at the bottom, so you really had to run your fingers down the inside and outside walls of the mug to feel how much smaller the fluid capacity was than it appeared to be. I mentioned this to someone who then told me about a restaurant supply catalog which advertised various ice makers for how the interlocking shapes of the cubes displaced the maximum amount of beverage. I have been a cynic ever since. And yet, I still love to eat out.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 10 years ago
I wish I could remember the name of the documentary or short report I watched this one but there was an interesting comparison of fast foods over the years.

It compared photos through the 80's through to recent years from major, popular fast food places of the burgers, fries and drink sizes. It was very compelling. It showed, unsurprisingly, the drastic shift from "small" then to "small" now and they didn't even have the gargantuan sizes we have these days. Just seeing the photos of an American large sized meal grow, grow, grow into a monster-sized meal really demonstrated this shift. Our current medium is about what the older large size used to be.

If that wasn't enough, it went on to track a graph of pricing over those years... accounting for inflation and all that - prices have skyrocketed.

It was too painful to watch the breakdown of profit points between then and now against the change in sizes. Sizes have ballooned up (along with our waist lines), prices have gone up, and in spite of this profits now blow out of the water profits then.

This all makes me very hungry for one of those Angus burger meals from McDees. Be back later.
Posted by TXKELLI (+3) 10 years ago
I haven't been to McD's in Miles City since June of 2009 so the menu may have changed, but when I was there I noticed that the prices on most everything were a lot higher than they are at the 8 McD's we have in Mesquite, TX. I hope they drop before I come home on vacation this summer.
Posted by jimdeastfork (+91) 10 years ago
I have also noticed the local prices to be a bit higher than in other Mickey D stores. But in all fairness I have chalked that up to the local store paying better than min wage. Over a year ago I noticed an ad posted at the local store offering full time employees $9.00/hour, with benefits, if the employee would be available for any shift. Additionally, as a result, it would seem that the local store has more mature/older employees than many other comparable stores. All too often a fast food outlet ends up staffed almost entirely by inexperienced young teens with nominal customer relations skills.

[This message has been edited by jimdeastfork (4/11/2010)]
Posted by Smiley (+853) 10 years ago
The McDonalds here in town may pay 9 dollars an hour, but that also requires being available from 5am-1am. It's basically a lure. The health insurance is CRAP. They charge more because Pat Newbury is a greedy man. That's about it. They run their store with an iron fist, and they send employees home so often because of uniform violation that they probably don't worry about labor.
Posted by polar bear (+515) 10 years ago
I cannot imagine any job that only pays $9 an hour. Those workers don't even get tips. How do they live on that?
founder
Posted by James Shaw (+141) 10 years ago
"Just skip the super-size. Your wallet, waistline, and heart will thank you."

If I'm eating at a fast food place, do I care if it's healthy? The only one I'm familar with is Subway for the whole "healthy" kick.

I'd like to punch that idiot who made "Super Size Me", especially when it says, "Prior to the experiment, Spurlock ate a varied diet but always had vegan evening meals"

Sure, when you shift your diet that drastically, your body is going to go "WTF??" Most of our bodies are use to it, especially people with really high metabolism (like me). They burn calories and actually starve themselves when they don't get enough.

Imagine a person with high metabolism going from eating steaks and burgers to just eating salads. It's going to screw up his metabolism severely so when he wants something else (a juicy steak), his body is going to store it instead of burning it off, therefore completely screwing him/herself. So guess what they're stuck with to stay "healthy".. salads.
Posted by Leif Hope (+100) 10 years ago
Ok, this doesn't have anything to do with Mickey D's, but the post about the 9.00 an hour pay rate.

My wife has 2 BA degrees plus a MA. She was RIF'd from her teaching position in 2008. We live in a a very rural area. She has taken a job that pays 10.50 an hour for a local governmental agency. There are mandatory furlough days each month because of the budget deficits for the State and County.

There are areas of the country where people not only manage at 9.00 an hour, that is considered very high pay for a HS or GED and this area would be one of them.

We don't have a local Mickey D's. We would have to drive closer to Jacksonville, FL to visit one. I don't think our local burger joint (chain) pays anything close to 9.00 an hour though. I imagine they pay the minimum wage as required by law in Georgia which is 7.25 an hour.

9.00 an hour would be considered a living wage here.
Posted by Jeezie (+15) 10 years ago
"Pat Newbury is a greedy man"?

I don't think so. I wanted his opinion on all this. Interesting talk we just had.
He thinks your a #@&. He knows who you are.

[This message has been edited by Jeezie (4/11/2010)]

[This message has been edited by Jeezie (4/11/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1431) 10 years ago
...or what will he do to smiley?

It depends on the area. Around here the paperboy makes $9 an hour.
Posted by Jeezie (+15) 10 years ago
nothing, Dan, and don't worry Smiley neither Pat nor I would want to get too close to you.

I couldn't live on 9 bucks an hour, part time, but we need to think about that long before we apply for such jobs.
One thing that's really wrong to do is to think you know the financial health of a business when you do not, and then to criticize it. It's okay to be jealous I think, but I try to respect people for how hard they work first.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4949) 10 years ago
I am sure Pat appreciates you coming back into this thread and informing everyone that he thinks they are a #$%@#....really good for business LOL...

[This message has been edited by howdy (4/11/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 10 years ago
This thread gives way more attention to McDonald's than it deserves. Think about something relevant, for God's sake.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1441) 10 years ago
This thread gives way more attention to McDonald's than it deserves. Think about something relevant, for God's sake.

Ha!Ha! This is precious, coming from someone named Wendy.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14799) 10 years ago
Wendy's "old fashioned" burgers are hot and juicy.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 10 years ago
Everyone knows that Wendy's are the best. Good thing that's not my true name.
Posted by Smiley (+853) 10 years ago
HAHA, that's news to me. The whole time I worked there I SAW him once. Never said any words to him or anything. So it's very surprising to me that he knows who I am? I never really hide behind my name here, but the man still didn't know me :/