2010 Seattle Mariners
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3752) 12 years ago
Well right now with the exception of the minor injury to Cliff Lee the Mariners are looking really good. I was blown away by Mike Sweeny's pre-season destruction of opposing pitching. Felix looked really good and I'm hoping my man Ryan Rowland-Smith can continue with his end of 2009 pitching.

I'm still in a bit of a quandry as to why Seattle's been picked 3rd behind the Angels & Rangers but most of the time pundits are full of horsepoop. I'm still sticking with my pre-season prediction of at least 100 wins, the A.L. West crown and a good run in the playoffs.

I will not hijack this thread with who I think will take it all again this year but Seattle's got a great year to look forward to.

By the way, where's Brian A. Reed at? We used to have some good baseball discussions but it seems he's no longer posting here.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (4/7/2010)]
supporter
Posted by JCF (+388) 12 years ago
Butte Americas own Rob Johnson starts the season off with a home-run for the Mariners. Nice hit kid.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2103) 12 years ago
Yanks take 2 of 3 from the Blahsox!
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10014) 12 years ago
The only thing that has surprised me so far, is how hard Oakland and Seattle have been battling it out. Mariners won the first game, lost the next two, and all three were basically tie games until the end. I guess we'll see what happens tonight.

Apparently the clubs are built in a similar fashion, however, Oakland basically has no fan base and no budget. The Mariners on the other hand have quite the fan base and quite the budget.

The return of Cliff Lee and Erik Bedard will vastly change the pitching. Right now the Mariners are basically relying upon King Felix -- with a run of the mill stuff the next days after. Ryan Rowland Smith, definitely has potential, didn't perform so well in his first start, but barring injury he'll come around.

Although I must admit $70 for a seat in the Terrace Infield (2nd level deck) is a bit much ... especially when you have to pay about $10 for a miniature beer or wine ... and forget about the price of a hotdog.

Here's a link on eBay for the price of two tickets:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Mar...6015r12999

$238 dollars, and that's not even a good set of seats. They charge different amounts based on the visiting team.

In any case, however, for two people to attend, it can easily surpass $200. It seems much easier to sit your butt on the couch, use the TiVo and watch your 16:9 letterbox flat screen in hi-def. That costs basically nothing.
Eric Bedard will do what he's always done - nothing - before going down with yet another injury. Just like with Diabeetus Morrow, Bedard is an albatross needing to be killed (traded not literally murdered). I do not have high hopes for him at all.

Ryan Rowland-Smith on the other hand is going to be an All-Star within 3 years. Bank on it.

As I've said the Mariners have a pretty damn good team and will get 100 wins easily.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (4/9/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 12 years ago
Then they better get their collective asses in gear.
We're only four games into the season and the rats are deserting already?
supporter
Posted by Julie (+414) 12 years ago
I can't stand much more of this Triple A stuff. Good God. What's it gonna take to see some hot bats? And wow ~ two immediate errors the other night. Thank God for the Baltimore Orioles.
Thank God for the Baltimore Orioles New York Yankees

Corrected.
Posted by Brian Hubbell (+123) 12 years ago
Mariners 100 games? AL West best division in baseball?
I thought so at the time.
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6115) 12 years ago
You've been wrong about a lot of things. It's come to be expected, Kyle.
You've been wrong about a lot of things. It's come to be expected, Kyle.

True enough Brian.

Then again there are times when I've been 100% correct:

http://milescity.com/foru...9765#79765
supporter
Posted by Julie (+414) 12 years ago
Hey Kyle. Don't feel too bad ~ I predicted 102.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 12 years ago
I'll settle for 83 myself.
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+173) 12 years ago
I think my prediction was 94 wins. I am going to stick with it. I would rather deal with this slump in April and May, than have to deal with it in September. The pitching has been great. The defense, until the last few games, has been stellar. The hitters do well enough when they make a pitcher work a little. Constantly swinging at the first pitch makes me pull my hair out. The idea is to get the pitch count up, hopefully leading to an early bullpen call. I have been very impressed watching Cliff Lee pitch. His first start was epic. He can make very good hitters look pretty inept. He got run late last night, but even the best have an off day. I expect he will come back with a vengence next week. Fister has been amazing. He just needs some run support to keep his spirits up. We need Griffey to at least make solid contact on a regular basis. Lame pop ups don't cut it. We need to see some better power numbers from Bradley, and that may happen when he gets his mental poop all in one pile. I'm a little disappointed in what seems to be constant base running mistakes. With poor power numbers right now, you have to make every base runner count. And we are not doing that. You can't send Griffey around third on a sharp single to left field. He couldn't score that run 10 years ago, and he is not getting any faster. The ball will start falling for the Mariners, but you need base runners for that to matter. But overall, I expected that all the newcomers would take some time to gel. I see it coming, but hope that it's not to late when they do put it together.
I know this is the pessimist in me talking, but I think I would split up Lee and Hernandez. If they pitch 3 days apart from each other, you stand a better chance of breaking a losing streak. If the team comes around, and gets back in contention, then pitch them back to back hoping to start a streak, instead of hoping to stop one.
Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Matt - Schmitz (5/6/2010)]

[This message has been edited by Matt - Schmitz (5/6/2010)]
admin
founder
So far the 2010 Seattle Mariners have been nothing more than a big fat dud. I expected it last year, but didn't this one -- which makes it worse.

They have no hitting, no bench (thus no flexibility), a manager that is suddenly looking like he's not very good, a player (who was supposed to be one of our best hitters [even with expected temper tantrums and such]) now going through a mental breakdown, a shortstop who can't stay healthy, nothing to bring up from the minors, no team willing to deal this early in the season, and an ace starting pitcher who on the day of his first game said he doesn't plan on sticking around, etc.

The most recent result: 9 losses out of the last 11 games. After 40 I guess we'll pretty much know what they've got, but I wouldn't expect much.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2103) 12 years ago
Mariners ... I thought they played in the Pacific Coast League... that is their talent level. LOL
admin
founder
This year, it's more like Little League.
Webmaster you were so high on this team early in the season. Everone was very excited spouting out 100+ wins and winning the division. I felt like everyone was jumping the gun just a little earlier this preseason, but I do believe this team has a lot of potential. The good thing is that this is the best division to be below .500 in because the entire division is flirting with the .500 mark. They will turn it around, but the key will be a consistent offense. Have faith its early in the season and there is alot of time left.
supporter
The Mariners are already looking to trade players. They look to be a sub-.500 team this year.

I hope I'm wrong...
Posted by dmbohlman (+18) 12 years ago
I just don't see the Mariners winning that division this year. They have a good core of young guys and pretty solid pitching. All that said, the Rangers are tied for first in that division and they did it without Ian Kinsler for the 1st month of the season. Nelson Cruz is about to come back, and with Vlad pounding that ball, the Rangers are going to be a hitting machine in the coming months and tough to stop in the west. Imagine if Josh Hamilton can get back to his 2008 form with those other 3 guys...
Well I never thought I would ever mutter the words Texas Rangers and Divison Winners in the same sentence, but you make a very good point. They do look like the strongest team in that division at the moment and they are not even at full strength yet. Josh Hamilton will get back in that form if they have three solid guys around him, due to the fact that he will get pitches to hit. It happened to Texeira when A-Rod came back last season.

[This message has been edited by Brian Hubbell (5/7/2010)]
admin
founder
Yahoo! Sports wrote:
After being cut by M's, Eric Byrnes joins softball league

http://sports.yahoo.com/m...mlb,239148

"Byrnes tells Gilbert that he thinks his playing days are probably over and his stat line of .094/.237/.156 with zero homers and zero RBI over 15 games with Seattle earlier this season backs that belief up."
supporter
Holy crap, Larry!

That's outstanding!

I'd rather have Jermaine Dye on my slow-pitch team, though.
The fearless prognosticator wrote:
Then again there are times when I've been 100% correct

Even a broken clock is correct twice a day, Kyle.

As for me, I predict that the sun will come up tomorrow. I also predict that you will automatically assume the opposite (we're not talking about bacon, after all).

At least you went out on a ledge with your 100 wins prediction for the 2010 Mariners.
Good god, what the hell happened tonight? "King Felix" got crowned and not in a good way. I still think that the Mariners can turn this season around but they had better do it and do it fast.

Perhaps one reason for fan apathy (disgust) right now is that their expectations we so high (possibly unreasonably so).
I have a buddy at work who went to the last four games. He had been looking forward to this for months. I feel horrible for him right now. Not good.
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 11 years ago
How many ways can this team lose? Good grief.
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+279) 11 years ago
Disgusting lack of performance by the bullpen. It's the freaking Royals. Oh ya! They do have a better record than the Mariners. If somebody asked me for my fan card right now, I might very well surrender it.
Posted by dmbohlman (+18) 11 years ago
White Sox are always accepting new fan applications!!!
supporter
White Sox? Ugh. Hawk Harrelson needs to go away.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 11 years ago
Ms season is over. They should do the right thing, and trade Cliff Lee to the Phillies for Cole Hammels and some young prospect.
supporter
I think trading Lee to the Twins for Wilson Ramos (a top-rated catching prospect) would be a much better deal for the Mariners.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 11 years ago
In late summer of '07, the Ms were over .500 and I was stuck in the hospital in Seattle for quite a long time. It was at this point, when my only source of enjoyment was watching the Mariners, that they decided to lose something like 18 out of 22 games. It was like having your teeth pulled. Yet, I remain a fan.

When they trade Cliff Lee, I'm hoping they rape some play-off bound team for a disproportionate number of actual prospects. I'm not holding my breath.
Posted by Mathew Schmitz (+279) 11 years ago
I'm hearing this morning that Cliff Lee will be traded to the Yankees, most likely today. I very much enjoyed watching Lee pitch in Seattle. His command of the ball is remarkable. And I really don't blame him for wanting to play for a winner. But the Yankees? Thats the definition of selling your soul to the devil. I will always hope he does well, but if he goes 22 - 3 with the Yankees, I hope their season consists of 22 wins, and 140 miserable losses. Pipe dream I know, but piles of cash should not be the only factor in building a winner. Overall, a most disgusting turn of events, in my opinion.
supporter
No. Not the Yankees. No.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10014) 11 years ago
Oh man, I loved watching Cliff Lee -- although it became pretty apparent it was only a matter of time, and he would probably not even be pitching for the Mariners today after how completely awesome he's been.

The damn Yankees are only probably trying to get him so someone like the Twins or Texas don't. Hopefully this will inspire the Twins to throw a whole bunch of stuff at the Mariners to get Lee.

If the Mariners get Montero in return from the Yanks, that would be pretty nice -- but I'll miss Cliff -- he was pretty much the only super awesome thing to watch this year, and probably the best and/or most exciting pitcher the Mariners have had since Randy Johnson a/k/a "The Big Unit".

To add insult to injury, if he gets traded, he was one of only two Mariners players to make the All-Star team -- so he would end up there wearing some other team's jersey instead.
admin
founder
Oh crap, I just realized the Mariners are playing the Yankees tonight. So if he gets traded before the game, and since today is his pitching day, all he has to do is walk from one dug out to another -- and then the fans get to watch him, and the rest of the Yanks, absolutely destroy the Mariners.

This season the Mariners were supposed to have King Felix, Lee, and Bedard as the top 3 pitchers -- which would have been an awesome trio. However Felix has wobbled a bit, Lee is almost certainly gone as of today, and Bedard is toast as apparently his arm will no longer allow him to pitch. The rest left are mostly junk.
admin
founder
Awesome, apparently Lee is not going to the Yankees (unfortunately, he's going to the Rangers) -- but from first reports looks like we're getting a bunch back in return.

Gonna really hate watching the Mariners face Lee -- although I'll probably root for Lee anyway -- and also hope the dreaded Rangers kick the despised Yankees butts in the playoffs.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2103) 11 years ago
Cliff Lee will be a Yankee next year and it won't cost them any prospects. Lee is a hired gun for the Rangers for the rest of the year. Go Yankees!!
supporter
Except for the "Go Yankees" part, I think Tom is probably right.
supporter
Ditto what Bob II said.

Cliff Lee is nothing more than LeBron James in pitcher's clothing.
founder
supporter
The Rangers are in bankruptcy and are being run by MLB. So unless they are bought out they will not have the money to sign Lee. MLB has loaned the Rangers 20 mill to run the rest of the season. Nolan Ryan (who is the Rangers President and ad hoc pitching coach) and a person from Pittsburgh are negotiateing to buy the Rangers. I had heard that the Rangers might be auctioned. Don't know if that could happen as MLB has to approve any new owners.
The Lee situation is different from Lebron. Lebron left the Cavs on his own accord. Lee has been traded. Of course he is good friend with CC Sabathia. But then so was Lebron and the Knicks didn't get him. This is a one shot time for the Rangers as they will probably lose more players this winter than Lee and fade into the sunset with the Mariners.
Go Yankees

[This message has been edited by Tom Masa (7/10/2010)]

supporter
No....no, Tom, no......

No, no, no.

Yankees. Boo Boo Boo.

And I heard in Birmingham they love the governor....
founder
supporter
Yes Yes Gunnar

The Evil Empire forever!!!

Seriously baseball needs the Yankees. I am watching the Yankees and Seattle play now and the stadium is full. Vasquez has a no hitter into the 5th inning. A lot of Yankee blue in those stands. Where the Yankees go the stadiums are filled. The Redsuxs try to be the Yankees and along with the Twins are probably the best run franchises in baseball after the Yanks.
I did pick the Mariners to win the AL West in my baseball pool. What a mistake. I didn't think the Angels or Texas would be as good.
Long Live the Yankee Universe!!!!

supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 11 years ago
I like pirates, too. Oh wait, you mean a baseball team.
admin
founder
I admit, the Mariners were a mistake from the beginning this year (many smarter than we were fooled as well).

I just got done watching the game tonight. King Felix pitching a complete game against the Yanks (I don't know how many now, I think 3 in a row against them, I guess he learned something from Lee) giving up only 1 run and Lopez hitting a grand slam when needed. Mariners win.

You know the Yanks desperately wish they could have Felix (sorry!!! -- never going to happen).

Ironically, Lee also pitched a complete game tonight for the Texas Rangers, but lost, actually rather miserably (but still refused to walk anyone -- which you've got to admire). I assume it was only one bad game for him and he'll figure it out. He's pitched in worse ballparks.

Anyway, the Ms finally win a game. Tomorrow RRS goes, so who knows what will happen with that. Probably not much.
supporter
Lee had a high ERA, 6 or 7 I think, in Arlington.
supporter
Posted by Julie (+414) 11 years ago
It's time for a new manager.
admin
founder
If only Coach Buttermaker was still around.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3752) 11 years ago
Jesus Christ. As if things can't get any worse for the Mariners evidentially Wakamatsu & Figgins got into a brawl in the dugout.
supporter
I don't see how Waki can face these post-game conferences anymore. Watching these guys play is like having bamboo shoved under your fingernails. But, masochist that I am....
admin
founder
OMG. How pathetic. I've only seen that happen a few times before, an all-out brawl in the dugout concerning only one side of the diamond with teammates fighting each other.

http://seattletimes.nwsou...ne_fi.html

I didn't watch the game though, so I completely missed it. I'll have to take a look tonight to see what the fallout is, as apparently 'Z' (and I assume the upper brass) are far from happy -- and also to see if they show any replays.
founder
supporter
Years ago Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin traded fists in the Yankee dugout. I believe Billy took Reggie out for defensive purposes and Mr. October did not like that.
Actually Tom to quote Yogi, it's like deja vu all over again.

Billy took out Jackson because he felt Jackson loafed on a ball hit towards him and lazily threw it to home. He came in and they did exactly what Wak & Figgins did last night - brawl. The only difference with last night and the Martin/Jackson fight is that Figgins stood there like a stone statue and did nothing while Jackson at least attempted to make a play.

The mini-series "The Bronx Is Burning" show this and it's pretty funny actually.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (7/24/2010)]
supporter
Kyle - from the little bit I saw of the brawl, it appeared Figgins was being "feisty", but someone else was trying like hell to get at him. Was that someone else Wakamatsu?
Bob, I'm guessing that that's who it probably was. I also hear that Jose Lopez & Russel Branyon were involved somehow.

Just disgraceful all around. I'd imagine that Jackie Z wasn't too pleased in that closed door meeting they had.

http://seattle.mariners.m...p&c_id=sea

http://seattle.mariners.m...p&c_id=sea
supporter
Sometimes, really bad can be sort of interesting.
admin
founder
There was another play with Figgins at second-base not so long ago, where he attempted to make a tag and the runner slid past second -- big time. The ump called him safe (rightfully so) but Figgins just stood there staring at the ump in disbelief, while the runner is getting up a few feet past the bag -- only a about a foot away from Figgins -- and I remember thinking "just freaking reach over and tag him!". The runner would have been out, but Figgins was out in Figgy-land -- again standing there like a statue.

Years ago, in the Kingdome, I remember Joey Cora asking the runner to step off second-base so he could clean off the bag -- and as soon as he did -- immediately tagged him out.

I think Joey kind of liked those trick plays. I remember at least another, after a meeting at the mound, he ended up with the game ball in his glove, the pitcher with none, and soon as the runner at second lead off he tagged him out as well.

Two very different philosophies for playing second-base. #1) "Mr. Statue" going "huh?", #2) "Little Joey" attempting to do anything and everything possible to win.
There was another play with Figgins at second-base not so long ago, where he attempted to make a tag and the runner slid past second -- big time. The ump called him safe (rightfully so) but Figgins just stood there staring at the ump in disbelief, while the runner is getting up a few feet past the bag -- only a about a foot away from Figgins -- and I remember thinking "just freaking reach over and tag him!". The runner would have been out, but Figgins was out in Figgy-land -- again standing there like a statue.

If I'm not mistaken wasn't is this play in Game 1 of the ALCS?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w...LCS#Game_1

I seem to remember that Damon slid in to second and then almost immediately bolted to third because both Figgins & Aybar were playing "Statues" with each other.
admin
founder
No, this was in Safeco a few weeks ago -- no one seemed to publish anything about it though.
supporter
I see Wak got his walking papers today (Sorry. Couldn't resist).
supporter
Posted by Sarah Peterson (+381) 11 years ago
13-12 = AL Cy Young. Felix Hernandez FTW!
That was a no-brainer. The guy led or was in the top 3 in just about every statistical category sans wins.
supporter
Congrats to King Felix. A well-deserved award.
supporter
Posted by Sarah Peterson (+381) 11 years ago
So what's his contract like? Will he be tempted elsewhere? Can the Ms keep him?
I'm not a Mariner fan, just enjoyed watching him pitch this year.
He's got 6 years left. He signed it before this past season.
admin
founder
Finally he gets his reward. Good for you King Felix.

http://www.nytimes.com/20...young.html