who does a person contact about water quality?
Posted by gierke (+191) 11 years ago
I am wondering who a person should call about a bunch of dead livestock in the yellowstone river? yes they are up stream and have heard the numbers are somewhere between 40 and 60 head. I feel they should have been removed from the river. miles city's water does come from the river
Posted by john w caylor (+83) 11 years ago
You might call fish and game or EPA or call the city and they might direct you to the proper authorities. Good Luck cause this doesen't sound good at all.
supporter
Posted by julieinmc (+512) 11 years ago
Sounds like there will be a run on bottled water at the markets!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11533) 11 years ago
I read an article about this a few days ago. Someone's cattle fell through the ice in January. Not an uncommon occurrence. My guess is someone at the water plant or City Hall can find the right phone number, although it may take a minute.

I remember standing on the dike as a kid and watching some dead cows float by after a flood. Water always tastes a little heavy on the chlorine that time of year.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16811) 11 years ago
I feel they should have been removed from the river.

That is the responsibility of the rancher who owns said cattle.....identify the brand, call the Department of Livestock, 406-444-2043, with that information, then ask for the rancher's phone number, then call him yourself to get these dead beasts out of the drink.....whatever you do, DO NOT CALL THE GOVERNMENT TO DO THIS!!!! THEY WILL MAKE THINGS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE TO GET RID OF THESE DEAD COWS!!!! THE GOVERNMENT ALWAYS COSTS MORE THAT PRIVATE INDUSTRY! YOUR NEIGHBORWS KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THIS!
Posted by tax payer (+351) 11 years ago
The rancher is already removing any that he can get to. So will do no good to contact him. All the authorities know about it and are doing what they can.
Posted by Bill Bloom (-354) 11 years ago
I was upriver about a week ago, saw several dead cattle, on the sand bars, in the river.They will be very difficult to remove, they are scattered in very unaccessible places, bloated and rutting. I saw this years ago, I do not believe they were ever removed from the river , just washed further down stream with the spring rise.