speeder/tailgaters
Posted by guylong (+98) 11 years ago
in the town the size of m. c. what is the hurry? some of us obey the rules. those who dont show some serious disrespect.
Posted by gierke (+191) 11 years ago
have to agree !!!!! and why not use turn signals????????? it would only be curtious
Posted by Josh Rath (+2311) 11 years ago
I get irritated when the Speed Limit sign on Haynes CLEARLY says 35... But some in town people believe it is 15MPH or slower.
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1483) 11 years ago
I get irritated when the Speed Limit sign on Haynes CLEARLY says 35... But some in town people believe it is 15MPH or slower.

You know I've seen you make this comment more than once. Did you ever stop to consider how far apart the speed limit signs are on Haynes, and that just maybe, someone came onto Haynes between the signs and did not know the limit was 35mph. There are also conditions with traffic, weather conditions, etc. that 35mph may not be the prudent speed. Yes, I did see where you mentioned 'in town people'. Slow down and enjoy life!!

[This message has been edited by MRH (3/28/2010)]
I did. I am talking about people ive been behind since mainstreet.
supporter
Posted by T Brown (+484) 11 years ago
Some people do that on purpose just to piss you off!!! LOL
supporter
Well, now I guess we will have to go and take photographs and GPS the location of these signs on both sides of Haynes Ave.

I sure thought that I remembered some 25 mph signs.

[This message has been edited by MRH (3/29/2010)]
we are in m. c. mt. not the nhra folks! i was passed on main st. with a vulger wave out the passers window,it pissed me off.
Posted by stephen (+256) 11 years ago
The only 25 mph zones are after main and Haynes meet.before that its 35. I agree with Josh, I am so tired of seeing little old ladies going 5 mph on it. I take Haynes to go quicker. Seriously. If you can't go 35 mph just walk to the DMV and turn over your drivers license.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16811) 11 years ago
Lets face it, people drive slow in Miles City....always have and always will. That doesn't bother me at all when I drive around town. What is annoying is that I will return to Helena....and drive around like a Miles Citian for the next couple of days.

What annoys me are idiots who don't use turn signals....and idiots who have never learned the simple rule of "right of way".

Here in Helena a local idiot once wrote a letter to the editor stating, "Here in the Upper West Side it is an unwritten rule that cars going up and down the hill have the right of way over cars on cross streets going on the sidehill." No, there isn't such an unwritten rule, you stupid idiot. How on earth would someone not from Helena know about your stupid unwritten rule???

A refresher for those who don't remember: If two cars approaching an intersection with no stop or yield signs arrive at the intersection at the same time, the driver yields to the car on the right.
Also Gunnar.. If you arrive at the intersection after someone else does, they have the right of way. But it seems most people in this town don't understand this, and get pissed at you if you do not go.
Posted by Steve Allison (+975) 11 years ago
People are way too impatient. If you figure 4 miles from one side of town to the other(it is probably closer to 2) at the insane speed of 60 miles per hour it would take 4 minutes. If you slow all the way down to 15 miles per hour, it takes 16 minutes, at 30 it is 8 minutes. So given the worst case of going from one side clear to the other, the difference between super slow 15 to breaking the law 30 is 8 minutes. Most cases you are talking less then 2 minutes difference. It just feels like more because you are shifting your sense of time by being impatient. If you relax and just drive the speed of traffic, it will not seem as bad and you reduce the stress in your life.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1432) 11 years ago
Last time we visited MC the rental vehicle we had idled faster than the speed limit in residential areas. I had to ride the brake constantly.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 11 years ago
It doesn't matter whether your frustration at slow drivers is justified. If you tailgate and bump into the car in front you will be the one given the ticket. Take a deep breath and calm down.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 11 years ago
When I lived in Phoenix, AZ I had to cross the freeway on my way home from school. Often traffic would get backed up enough that I would have to sit through the same red light twice. Being an impatient, lead-footed teenager I found this infuriating, especially these lights seemed to take forever. One day in a fit of self-righteous indignation I decided to time the light, which I was sure was at least 5 minutes long....it was 45 seconds.

Unless someone in your car is bleeding and you're on the way to the ER, just chill out and go with the flow. You'll be a happier person and wherever you're going will still be there in 5 minutes. Contrary to popular belief, no amount of fuming and sputtering or even posting on MC.com will get people to drive faster, so why waste the effort?
Posted by Jim B (+227) 11 years ago
Why is it people do 15 in 25mph areas
then others do 30 or 35 mph in 25 mph areas.
And hardly anyone slows to 15 mph around schools and Wibaux Park.

And I agree. Use your turn signals!! That is what they are for.
Oh and use them before you get to the turn Not when you
are there and start turning.
West bound traffic on Tompy has to be the worst.
Use your turn signal when you get to splash to let others
know which way you are going.
oh but the mip's and dog at large tickets seem to require all the p.d.'s attention?!?!
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1496) 11 years ago
I completely agree. My two cents:

Once while driving to the grocery store I got stuck in traffic behind an old geezer who must have been driving about 20 mph below the limit. At a spot where I thought I had plenty of clearance I passed this person and rushed into the store. Turns out I was the 1,000,000th customer and won $1000.00!

Thank God I passed!

FH
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2003) 11 years ago
I always drive slow when I am in Miles City ... so I don't spill my beer!
my point was/is to have these people slow down a bit, not speed them up.
Posted by Kellie Kenworthy (+18) 11 years ago
I have had several people ride my ass in this town. It is really frustrating, especially to people that are new to the city. We are still trying to find our way around and where everything is. With that being said, of course we are going to go slow when we don't know if the next street is going to be our turn or if it's several streets up. It is VERY irritating to be stressed because you have no clue where you are at and have someone two feet behind you probably cursing your every move because they want to get somewhere quicker.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16811) 11 years ago
If you don't know where you are going, you should put your turn signal on, pull over, and let the car behind you pass. That's just common courtesy.
I'm not going to pull over and let some asshole that doesn't know the speed limit pass. If I am going the speed limit there is nothing wrong with it. I'm not saying we go 5mph, we go the speed limit which obviously other people don't know how to do.
Just my thoughts on this, but you are in Miles City afterall. You learn this place in about a day.
I know the main streets. But when someone tells me a street they are on and that it's off main, obviously I'm not going to know exactly which street it is. It's not like I drive around town all day learning the streets. I understand that it's a small town, but it doesn't mean we will know everything right away.
supporter
I am curious, does anyone know why the speed limit is 25mph where there are no businesses and there is less congestion on Haynes Avenue and 35mph between Main Street and the Interstate? This seems backwards to me, but I am sure there is a valid reason for the differences. In reference to Stephen's comment, I have more problems keeping the speed to 25mph after leaving the Valley Highway than driving the 35mph on the other end. Proportionately, I spend a lot more time in the 25mph zone than in the 35mph zone. People really need to relax and enjoy life. Time goes fast enough, as it is.
supporter
Posted by Steve Z (+986) 11 years ago
I'm with ya Josh. If you can't keep up get off the road. For those of you that have been in the possition of pulling out in front of someone (don't kid yourself we have all done it) do the courtious and safe thing, mash the gas pedal through the floor board and get the hell out of the way!! People don't realize what it takes to stop 110,000 pounds. When that 55 tons, ya count them 55 tons is liquid explosive the hazzard is that much greater. We all make mistakes, it is how you handle those mistakes that will determine if you get hurt or someone else gets hurt or killed because of that mistake.
Posted by Nicole Schuler (+9) 11 years ago
I live on Haynes where the speed limit is 25. And most people do not drive the 25MPH. I like the speed limit here being 25 as I have little kids. They mostly play in the back yard but we do take walks on the sidewalk. Last fall we had a deer hit right in front of our house that was obliterated. Since then we have noticed that the MHP has been patroling more and has pulled over several people going both ways speeding. What gets me the most are all the big trucks that speed by here.
supporter
does my car have turn signals? Seriously people, maybe I have some place to be. Maybe i cut my caratid artery and am bleeding to death. You have no idea what other peoples motives are so drive the limit or get out of the way.
Posted by Mandi (+358) 11 years ago
The speed limit on Haynes between Main and Valley Drive East is 25 because it is a residential area. I think it is sort of annoying also. I just set my cruise control down that road, it is to tempting to speed. And when someone rides my bumber, I just think how funny it would be to flick a booger on their windshield!
supporter
I hate tailgaters also. If I am driving the speed limit and someone rides my bumper I usually slow down, just to piss them off.
Funny story, for me at least. Today driving down haynes after a bit of crusing, I'm heading home and a white Ford Explorer gets behind me. Comes up and gets reaaaallly close, then backs off. They do this all the way to the turn onto main... They follow me, so I have some fun. No one is around, but them behind me, so I speed up, turn and press on my brakes at the same time, power sliding around the corner... And taking off away from them. Funny thing is, they were riding me, and they lived at the apartments around the corner... Yeah.

And I know, my choice wasn't the smartest, but it was fun. Plus it seems worse than it was. Just imagine turning that corner at almost 35 in a mini suv.

Edit: I considered deleting this, but why do that. It is more fun to see the bitchy people yell at me.

[This message has been edited by Josh Rath (3/30/2010)]
supporter
I have always hated having to slow down on the part of Haynes that actually has no traffic too but I imagine the people that live down there appreciate it.

If Haynes is going to be the shopping center of MC they should probably slow it down to 25 and put in at least one more stop light. The one that is there helps but it's still really hard to make a left turn onto Haynes from anywhere but the existing light.

EDIT: Oh, and while I'm whining about Haynes, the intersection of Haynes and Main is one of the more ridiculous intersections I have ever seen.

[This message has been edited by Levi Forman (3/31/2010)]
supporter
I have always hated having to slow down on the part of Haynes that actually has no traffic too but I imagine the people that live down there appreciate it.

Yes, I always figured it was due to being a residential section, but was not for sure. I am sure those living there appreciate the 25mph.

I also wonder about making the whole of Haynes 25mph. It is seldom, except in spurts, that I can drive 35 mph between Main Street and the Interstate. There is too much traffic entering Haynes from parking lots and side streets, as well as, traffic on the street to make much speed.

Levi, how is calving going? We're about through with lambing and kidding, but there are a few still coming.
gee i wonder if josh knows what "contradiction" is.? he seems to do this ALOT!
supporter
Calving started slow but it's going like gangbusters now. If the second half of this week goes the way the first half has, we'll be half done with the heifers by Easter.
Posted by ty head (+103) 11 years ago
Josh- A contradiction is an albino lifeguard. Or a Scottish Korean man. Wow, I'm craving a Starburst...
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+510) 11 years ago
Coming from a guy who has waaay more speeding tickets than the average Yogi, please remember the definition of the word.. LIMIT SPEED LIMIT. Think about it, it is not a speed MINIMUM. For whatever reason that the Powers that Be decided, the posted speed should be honored.

I feel sad that my view of Police has changed too. I used to look upon them with disgust and now, I am like, "Hey, a cop, good deal."

I guess I am getting old.
supporter
The speed limit on North Haynes, as some of you may remember used to be 35. The reason it was changed was because of complaints from residents along that strech of road. Of course with a 35 mph speed zone people were driving 45. Another case were a few imprudent asses screwed things up for the rest of us.