The afterlife
Posted by stephen (+250) 11 years ago
I'm writing a paper in my college writing 2 class about religious views
and I would like some information from the public on what they view the afterlife as. I'm not looking for "puffy white clouds and pearly gates". That may be what it looks like(in some people's opinion) but I want to know what people think it feels like. The dynamics of it. Their understanding of it.
Thank you to anyone who posts
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+596) 11 years ago
Wow!!! You are really asking for it posing a question like that to mc.commers
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 11 years ago
IMO, from whence you came, you shall return. Where were you 1 day before your conception? Where will you be 1 day after your death? Probably the same place. But what do I know.
That's philosophy if I have ever seen it. A seemingly educated answer that is equally useless. XD
admin
founder
Well, I can't do the XD ... but this will have to suffice.
admin
founder
Seriously though, where were you one day before you were conceived? Why would you not think that is the same place you go after you die?

I know there are lots of books that state otherwise, however, they were written by primitive man, and I trust very few books written by man -- especially when they were done so for political purposes.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 11 years ago
I believe in Reincarnation...
All books are written by man, or women. Even old books are changed and altered so much any semblance of reality are gone from them. That's why for this particular part of my paper I am asking for people's personal opinion's of the afterlife. In some religions heaven is what you design it to be. So under this theory I am asking people how they view the afterlife.
In my personal opinion the common view of eternal happiness is incorrect, because people of different generations will have different views on any individual idea, which will create conflict and disorder-unhappiness. So the logical next step would to be get rid of the conflict, IE the thoughts of the people. Yet this would not make me happy, nor should it anyone because we are creations of thought and reason, to take those away we are mere animals. So to me personally the idea of a heaven is unfathomable so thus I must resort to asking the public of how they view the afterlife.
Reincarnation is a valid theory, actually one of the most vastly used theories as it is the basis or at least a part of Buddhism and Hinduism, both major religions in the world.
To what end do we get reincarnated Howdy? Do we get reincarnated until we have achieved a nirvana like state? or is it an eternal cycle of rebirth that we are trapped in until the universe ends? and then what happens to us then?
supporter
I believe that reincarnation until you get "good enough" to graduate to a nirvana like state...I went to a regression therapy session with a friend and was told that of my many past lives, one was a Chinese fishermans wife with 9 children and another was a cloistered nun...LOL..I recommend the regression therapy for anyone interested...It is fascinating...
In the nirvana like state theory the soul then becomes part of the universe, erased from the karma that ties us to the cycle of rebirth. What exactly do you see that as?
admin
founder
If you wish to know my views upon life and death, then it would take a book.

The short version, is that I don't believe we live in a "Universe" but instead we live in a "Multiverse". My reasons for this theory are not grounded upon Socrates, nor Plato, or Einstein ... but upon "Quantum Mechanics".

The whole thing gets complicated however, because you can't tell me, a book written by primitive man, that states when a baptized child is murdered, will somehow end up in a happy place with the rest of their family.

There is a deeper meaning to everything, that none of us understand. The alternative, is that we are pond scum, and there is no deeper meaning.

I subscribe to the Eleventh Dimension. It allows lots of stuff not otherwise possible -- including Einstein's theories as well as a number of others responsible for Quantum Mechanics.

But like I said, I could write a book.
Sounds a lot like science to me. Which of course is the 3rd step in human's coping with its environment. the first was through magic, and the 2nd through religion.
Posted by urijah (+135) 11 years ago
well if reincarnation was real..... you (stephen) would come back as a douchebag. Oh wait too late
supporter
My reincarnation theory just goes as far as achieving the nirvana like state and then I believe (probably because of my Christian roots) that we then enter a heaven as described in the bible...sorta a combination of Christianity and Buddism...Weird huh?? LOL
Actually I am more commonly referred to as an @$$hole. I will forgive your misinformation this time. :P
Now we are getting somewhere Howdy, After all I am not looking to analyze religious beliefs, because those I have more than enough information available. How do you view heaven?
supporter
I view it as a place with no worries and peace everafter...
Was that so hard. . Thank you for your input
supporter
anytime Stephen and best of luck with your paper...
Thanks
admin
founder
Thing is though, there are only two possibilities (well actually more if you want to get into theoretical physics) ... but generally only two.

#1. Our conciseness ceases to exist upon death,

#2. Our conciseness transcends death, and goes to another place.

That's it.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17055) 11 years ago
MilesCity.com Webmaster wrote:
#1. Our conciseness ceases to exist upon death,

#2. Our conciseness transcends death, and goes to another place.

Larry, could you be a little more concise with your replies?
So now we get into the complicated stuff. . The two are in fact the only two possibilities. But is the consciousness part of your body? and thus changed by your experiences? and forced to decay as you do? or is it separate, not shaped by your own experiences? Does it know all along who you are? are you destined to be a bad person because your soul is bad?
admin
founder
Dave: I gave two options, is that not concise enough?
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 11 years ago
My belief is that the soul leaves the body when the body can no longer function. Our energy exists before we are born, while in a body and after we leave that particular vessle.

I don't believe in a Heaven with golden gates and singing angels.

I do believe in an afterlife where we have the ability to feel complete love without all of the assorted emotions that go with human love.

I've seen and felt the energy of those who have passed. So I can no longer believe that we are dead until the great second coming of Christ.

The older I get and the more things I have experienced the more my beliefs have changed.
I like that answer. It explains a personal belief and gives room for human adaption. thank you for participating
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 11 years ago
I think when the eletrochemical reactions stop, that's it. The rest is just human nature trying to hope for something better.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
I think we die and then find out how wrong we are.
you go first :P
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 11 years ago
Amorette,

Don't you do the ghost tours?
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17328) 11 years ago
I was hoping to respond to this with an image, but for once Google has let me down.

Valhalla! Sitting around, feasting, drinking tankards of ale! Then we pass out.

In the morning, we wake up (with no headaches!) and race out with our swords, axes, and maces, and go slaughter the Taliban until we cannot lift our arms anymore.

Then we head back to the hall, and repeat the process. Sitting around, feasting, drinking tankards of ale! Then we pass out.

In the morning, we wake up (with no headaches!) and race out with our swords, axes, and maces, and go slaughter the Taliban until we cannot lift our arms anymore.

Then we head back to the hall, and repeat the process. Sitting around, feasting, drinking tankards of ale! Then we pass out.

etc.
ah a Celt. may Odin bless you and your viking brethren.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17055) 11 years ago
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Moore (+81) 11 years ago
When my days are done, I'm going to Heaven (I KNOW this). I believe it will be like, as in the original creation, a garden of Eden, and we (who have chosen to be with God) will each have a mansion (dwelling place). Sometimes I wonder if we will be able to explore the universe (I think so).
nvm

[This message has been edited by stephen (3/13/2010)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3677) 11 years ago
Sorry but I can only quote from the sacred text of his holiness Eric Idol

Whenever life get you down, Mrs. Brown,

And things seem hard or tough.

And people are stupid, obnoxious or daft,

And you feel that you've had quite enu-hu-hu-huuuuff!

Just - re-member that you're standing on a planet that's evolving

and revolving at 900 miles an hour,

It's orbiting at 19 miles a second, so it's reckoned,

the sun that is the source of all our power.

The Sun and you and me, and all the stars that we can see,

are moving at a million miles a day,

In the outer spiral arm, at 40,000 miles an hour,

of the Galaxy we call the Milky Way.

Our Galaxy itself contains 100 billion stars,

it's 100,000 light-years side-to-side,

It bulges in the middle, 16,000 light-years thick,

but out by us it's just 3000 light-years wide.

We're 30,000 light-years from galactic central point,

we go round every 200 million years,

And our galaxy is only one of millions of billions

in this amazing and expanding universe.

The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding,

in all of the directions it can whizz,

As fast as it can go, at the speed of light you know,

twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is.

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,

how amazingly unlikely is your birth,

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,

because there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Monty Python Galaxy Song