founder
Posted by roberta campbell (+53) 15 years ago
What schools would have been operating between 1900 and 1910 in Miles City? Are they still operating today? Are school records available for this period of time?
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14728) 15 years ago
Pete Petro got all A's
founder
Posted by Pete Petro (+286) 15 years ago
That's cause I was also a member of the school board.
founder
Seriously, Roberta, you might contact Jim Snell in Miles City. I believe his father was in one of the first CCHS graduating classes about the time you are inquiring about. Jim might have some old memorabilia he would be willing to share. Good luck.
Pete
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16669) 15 years ago
You musta been a smart looking fella in your little Lord Fauntleroy suit, Pete.
founder
Boy, you've got that right. I liked it so well, I was wondering if you could spare your current one for a day so I could borrow it for a Halloween costume.
founder
supporter
Posted by H Lockie (+192) 15 years ago
You might try the County Superintendent's office at the Custer County Courthouse. They have all the school records, and their number is (406) 874-3241.
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9973) 15 years ago
http://www.milescity.com/....asp?id=19

Here's an excerpt:

The first record of any class day exercises was for the class of 1900. These exercises were held in the old Opera House, at the corner of Fifth and Bridge on May 24, and the graduating exercises were held the next evening in the Presbyterian Church, when Edgar B. Merrill, Kirtlye, Rena M. Wilson, Joseph Bateman, Allan C. Ireland and Louis Gaylord graduated. As far as we know, Kirtlye Hill, who is now the wife of Judge Sydney Sanner, is the only one of this class living. She lives in Los Angeles. Louise Gaylord afterwards married Fred W. Woolsey and was one of the victims in the train wreck on the Milwaukee when the Custer Creek bridge gave away in a flash flood some years ago.

1901 boasted of the largest class from High School comprising ten members: Oscar Lindeberg, Sadie B. Lindeberg, Myrtle Johnson, Tommy Thompson, Carter Snell, Louise Lower, William Clarke, Ray McAllister, Io Remington, and Ernest Sorenson. The graduating exercises were held in the Opera House on May 24th. Three members of this class still reside in Miles City. Louise Lower resides in Bozeman, Io Remington in Salt Lake City, and Ray McAllister in California. Oscar Lindeberg, Myrtle Johnson, Tommy Thompson and Ernest Sorenson have passed on to their reward.

The final graduating class was that in 1902, when Julia Dunnigan, J. W. Evans, Anna Hurley, Mary Carter, May Myers, Emily Clarke and Nettie Kimes graduated on May 23rd, 1902. Two of this class still reside in Miles City. Nettie Kimes and Anna Hurley have passed on, and May Myers was a teacher in this vicinity recently and was a candidate in the primaries last July.

This completes the roster of the graduates from the High School before Custer High took over. Somewhere, in one of those graduating classes, is "Shade Tree Bill", the authority for most of the stories published by us for your edification and pleasure. There was no graduating class in 1903, as that was the year in which the switch was made from eleven to twelve grades and from the old Miles City High School to Custer County High.
founder
Posted by roberta campbell (+53) 15 years ago
I think I can narrow the time of the school records I am looking for from 1908 to 1910. It would be High School records. Does any one have the address for the County Superintendent's office of Schools? I don't live in Montana