Miles City Rape?
Posted by Max2010 (+3) 11 years ago
I guess that I'm about 5 weeks late hearing on a rape that happened in Miles City around New Years. Any truth to this?
Posted by Jenny3 (+186) 11 years ago
There is a article on billingsgazette.com about it. Other than that this has been a very "hush, hush" topic. Not sure why? Rumors were flying the day after it happened.
Posted by Rydog (+69) 11 years ago
From Article: "Stratton said he does not think people in Miles City need to be worried that no one has been arrested. "This was a fairly directed incident," Stratton said. "It wasn't a serial rapist or anything like that."

I am absolutely disgusted by this comment. It promotes the backwards "He was just drunk and she was asking for it" view that should NEVER be tolerated in cases like these.
Posted by Kacey (+3152) 11 years ago
The crime of rape (or "first-degree sexual assault" in some states) generally refers to non-consensual sexual intercourse that is committed by physical force, threat of injury, or other duress. A lack of consent can include the victim's inability to say "no" to intercourse, due to the effects of drugs or alcohol. Rape can occur when the offender and victim have a pre-existing relationship (sometimes called "date rape"), or even when the offender is the victim's spouse.

Rape is a crime no matter whether it is a serial rapist or not!!
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3717) 11 years ago
I don't think the officer was excusing anything, just trying to reassure people that there was a reason that he did it and he and the victim probably knew each other so he isn't likely to re-offend. They are trying to tell you not to be afraid to leave your house at night because this guy might be lurking in an alley.
Posted by mercy me (+132) 11 years ago
" Just trying to reassure the people that there was a REASON that he did it and he and the victim probably knew each other so he isn't likely to re-offend " OMG Levi, really you can't be serious. Regardless if they knew each other the reason he did it is a sense of entitlement and need for control. He may not re-offend HER, but have there been priors and will there be futures?? If I were a betting person I'd bet yes.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16662) 11 years ago
I'll bet dollars to donuts that the rapist is a WalMart employee.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14724) 11 years ago
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16502) 11 years ago
One commenter on the Billings Gazette story suggested the alleged rapist looks something like this:

Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+277) 11 years ago
wow, just wow. it doesn't matter the circumstances, there is still some potential/ accused fella out in the community that doesn't understand that NO MEANS NO. (even if she's passed out, and they've done it before, not a free pass.)
Posted by trey (+50) 11 years ago
David, I nearly wet my pants. that was good
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3717) 11 years ago
Good point Mercy, I'm sure you know a lot more about the situation than the police officer investigating it.
Posted by Ashlee (+65) 11 years ago
Sorry but I have to put my two cents in. 1) This man is a disgusting and inhuman person. 2) To all of you who like to throw in your jokes, leave them to another thred...RAPE IS NOT FUNNY...whether you are talking about it or reading or whatever. 3) There is a victim out there who is SUFFERING EVERY DAY because of what happened. 4)The man who has done this will not spend any time in jail, be reported as a sex offender, or be punished in any way. 5) WHY??? Because...a great line of the Miles City Police is "We can't do anything about it, but I'll look into it." 6) People should SERIOUSLY consider the Victim involved and stop talking about it, her, and "What you heard." Your only making an ASS out of yourself and damaging the ONE person that secretsy matters to. 7) No one (Outside the victims family) needs to know the story of Who, When, Why, Where and How? Rape is life changing, tragic, devistating and unforgetible.
So please people, keep your comments to yourself and let this person heal with out the stress of MILES CITY gossip.
Posted by mckee (+383) 11 years ago
In answer to Ashlee. "AMEN" a rape is a rape Period.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8985) 11 years ago
RAPE IS NOT FUNNY

George Carlin would disagree, but I will admit that I think it's one of his less funny sets...
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14724) 11 years ago
No rape is not funny... but Gunnar with his sense of timing, sarcasm, and satire is funny.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1910) 11 years ago
He was being sarcastic!?
supporter
Posted by Chris Gamrath (+379) 11 years ago
I'm not sure exactly how to word this other then to say Miles City.Com is a public forum. A posting on here is subject to public comment be it insightful, knowledgable, caring, funny, tacky, hurtful, or even just down right mean.

I would assume that 90 to 95% of us on here are adults and as such carry the responsibiliy of being adults. To that I say to people reading this thread, "Look at the title, read the subject matter, and use your years of experience in life to respond accordingly."

There is a time and place for humor and satire. I use them myself a lot for relief of stressful and tense situations. This thread with this title would NOT be one of those times. As it stands, a young lady was brutally assualted at the hands of another and that in itself has no humor to be found in it. She's someone's family, and she's someone's friend just like you and I are. It may not affect you directly, but somewhere out there, there are a lot of people's lives in which it does.

We don't need to point fingers and go through the whole runaround of "Well so and so said this and so and so said that and I was responding to them" because when it comes right down to it, we all know what belongs on THIS thread and what belonngs on some other thread. A little kindness, a lot of compassion, and the want to understand what happened is what THIS thread is for. Leave it at that.

Sincerely,
A friend of a friend
Posted by Jenny3 (+186) 11 years ago
Maybe this thread should be dropped!!
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 11 years ago
David, how about this guy? It's a tattoo.

Posted by A.Voice (+68) 11 years ago
I think its really sad to think about the fact that sexual assaults are the only crimes were the victim has to prove they were actually a victim. How messed up is that. I dont care what she was wearing or what you thought she was signaling with her actions.... that doesnt give any man or women the right to take advantage of someone....making them feel defenseless and completely terrified. It is no joke....
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+601) 11 years ago
I think at least to some extent victims of all crimes must prove they are victims. The Gas station cannot accuse someone of robbing them if they weren't robbed.
Posted by Tracy P. (+91) 11 years ago
Honestly, I don't think this is any of our business. The fact is who are we to judge when we don't even know any of the facts, who was involved, what took place. etc.
Some advice to all of you ladies and gentlemen out there that my dad taught me:
1)Never leave a drink while you go dancing, to the bathroom, etc. Either finish the drink first or buy a new one when you get back.
(I don't care if who you are with, just don't do it.)
2)Make sure you stick with your friends, stay with eachother and leave with eachother.
3)Just because you know someone doesn't mean they wouldn't slip something in your drink, try something on you, or take advantage of the situation.
4)One last thing, it's fun to go out but never get so wasted that you don't know what is going on around you. Stay in control and aware of your surroundings.
Posted by john w caylor (+82) 11 years ago
Tracey
I must disagree with you on that it,s nobody's business. Yes who,what,where and how are nobody's business. But the act itself is and should be out there for everyone to know not only that it happened but is being handled properly by officials. That was great bar and party advise you're father gave you. Many would benefit from that advise.
Posted by Tracy P. (+91) 11 years ago
John,
I totally see your point, I didn't mean it like that. Actually I think that it IS important for the community to know that stuff like this is happening here and that we all need to be a little more careful. Also, I feel like the police are handling it and that they just aren't providing the community information they don't need to know yet. If this case goes to trial, which it might, we have people who could end up on the jury so the information the police and newspaper give could be a detriment to the trial. Thanks for your post, and I really wasn't trying to sound like we should not worry and just push it aside. I wanted the people on the sight to know that some of the comments aren't appropriate.
Tracy (that's just with a Y not an EY)
Posted by Jason Goodson (+20) 11 years ago
ya its all hush hush cause some piece of dog crap of a man must have a rich daddy to keep his name out of the news but if it where any of us our name would be all over the place
supporter
Posted by Steve Z (+996) 11 years ago
Um until there is an arrest, conviction or other sort of reliable information, none of us know that there was a rape. There are some good insights on this thread, but lets not get carried away. If indeed there is a victom, karma will have it's way with the accused in prison. Let the facts come out, then make your decision. Thanks for the pointers, there are some younger people who read these threads that need to be aware of dangers of partying too hardy.
Posted by tiger woods (+40) 11 years ago
[Deleted]

[This message has been edited (3/27/2010)]
Posted by Josh Rath (+2310) 11 years ago
I smell a permaban.