Are you 'hip & with it?'
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+271) 11 years ago
i know there has been a twitter thread previously. i am interested in knowing how many of you are doing the whole facebook/twitter/myspace/blackberry/iphone (insert other neato-tech-savvy bit of awesome here, as i am so obviously not and only know the few.) updating status, pics and all that jazz. what bits of this recent surge of super-connected do you love? hate?

personally, this website is the only 'networking' site i belong to. i text and send pictures on my phone, and that's about it. yes, this is another request for educational purposes, so please help a lady out!
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1670) 11 years ago
I Facebook. Currently my favorite of the big three sites, however, their constant revamping of the site is getting old. Good way to share photos and catch up with old friends. I would say it is my favorite because of the number of friends using the site.

I tried Twitter. Don't care for it. Very mundane. As someone said prior, who wants to know what someone is doing every minute of the day?

I used to MySpace. I still have a profile, however, never check it. Most of the people I know use Facebook, so using MySpace seems redundant.

LOVE my Blackberry. Use it all the time to check this site, Facebook and others when I am away from home. Love that I can always receive my e-mail when I am away from the office. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9193) 11 years ago
You don't exist unless you're on Facebook.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
I have a facebook account, but am REALLY picky about who my friends are. People who play alot of farmville, Aquarium, or Mafia get the boot. Seems like you really need to be into yourself to twitter. I am not that vain.

Shortly, I will have an iPad.
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+596) 11 years ago
I have facebook, I guess I still have My Space haven't been there for a long time. I have never tried twitter I guess because no grand kids have asked me to. And maybe a first, I have something in common with Richard I hate all the apps like farm, mafia.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 11 years ago
I have Facebook...Also don't like all those games but have found the little key to hide them and still retain the friend...thankfully...Have met a lot of folks here and also on Facebook...I think it was Bridgier that started a group called something like "people that like to argue on MilesCity.com" on Facebook...LOL...
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 11 years ago
I'm on Facebook. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like. All those stupid apps, you can block them without blocking the person. That's what I do.
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 11 years ago
If you are only going to do one, Facebook is the one.
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+406) 11 years ago
Facebook only and I'd be grateful if those of you who've learned the trick to blocking the apps and retaining the friends would share the "how to".
supporter
Click on the little hide key next to their app and look for the name of the app to hide..
Posted by mule train (+1055) 11 years ago
Glad to know that I don't exist!
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 11 years ago
I'm on Facebook - just started the account last December. It's a good way to touch base with folks. I've reconnected with a couple people for the first time in 20-30 years.

I like to play Mafia Wars - there are days when it feels good to come home and loot, plunder and pillage a bit ; -) And as people have pointed out it's easy enough to block the apps and keep the friends.
Posted by Lee Finberg (+10) 11 years ago
Speaking of old friends, has anyone kept in touch with Joy Anderson Johnson Minear? Pearl & Alvin were her parents, was a large family.
I have lost touch with her since we both have moved around and would love to re-connect, have tried Facebook and other searchs.
Maybe someone keeps in touch with that family.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1437) 11 years ago
I've gone from BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) back in the 90's to online internet when MCC was still testing it out in small, limited availability groups for the first time in MC.

My work pretty much means that nowadays I'm wired in just about everywhere... social networking sites and services, email, IM, text messaging, skype, whatever. I'm trapped. Two computers in front of me all day in a home office, iPhone in my pocket even if I go to the store, and it's been this way for years. We might as well borg me now and just get it over with.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 11 years ago
I've got a Facebook account but I'm not on it much. You can have all the rest of it. I'm not that interested in telling people what I'm doing 24 hours a day. There's a website called Please Rob Me that reveals where empty houses are by using Twitter and Facebook updates. Before you go telling the world that you're in Belize for a week perhaps you should visit that site.
supporter
As long as you don't make your profile open you're not telling "the world" what you're doing, you're only telling the people you approved as friends, who will presumably not attempt to break into your house if you post that you aren't home.
Posted by polar bear (+509) 11 years ago
I do Facebook. I think Twitter is stupid. I am probably the last person on earth who won't carry a cellphone. I also have never had cable TV. No Blackberry, Palm Pilot, Ipod, etc.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1794) 11 years ago
I guess I'm somewhere in-between "high-tech" and the "stone age". I have a cell, but I mostly keep it at home. I only use it for the phone and texting. I don't see the point in using the cell to check email when my job has me around computers all the time, anyway, plus it's around 50 bucks a month extra for internet access on the thing.

I also facebook. I've been very touched several times when it's allowed me to reunite with people I haven't seen in decades. It's quite flattering when I get a friend invite from someone I thought had forgotten all about me!...but I don't much care for the games on there, nor do I need to know every little thing everybody does. I'm surprised that nobody posts "I just took a pee!" I mean, with some of the "every little thing they do" stuff people share, they may as well say that...but I like facebook, anyway, and am a proud member of the "Bobby Kenny Fan Club" on there among other things.
supporter
Wendy, you need to have a wide open public profile and intentionally use an app to say "Hey, I'm at the gym ...and nobody is home."

PleaseRobMe.com is cute but not really representing a realistic problem - it's making a point but mostly through hyperbole. Not every post that checks out of the house necessarily means it reveals their home is unoccupied or that the people ended up getting robbed.
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Moore (+81) 11 years ago
With all the identity theft out there, I don't think it is wise to give out personal info, likes and dislikes, activties, friends names and what ever else goes on... I have paid a hard price for being stupid in the past,I'd rather be wise than "hip".
supporter
Salli, which of your friends is going to steal your identity?
Posted by Salli (Scanlan) Moore (+81) 11 years ago
Maybe I don't understand - as your circle of friends expand, can people you don't know, gain info? I did sign up for facebook at one time but had an "unknown" person request to be a friend - so I deleted myself. This "unknown" person sounded like a distant friend of a distant friend, and since I have been a victim of violance - I got the heck out a dodge.

Maybe I'm getting old?
supporter
Posted by M T Zook (+515) 11 years ago
The key with Facebook is setting up your security. It is something that a majority of people are not doing. You need to log in, go to your setting and change who can view your profile, pictures, interests, etc. to "Friends Only." I can't say that enough. CHECK YOUR SETTINGS! If you don't know how, have somebody who does sit down with you and show you.

Once that is in place, it is a great tool as the others have said. I don't twitter and I don't myspace. My preference, I know those sites work well for some.

Also, something less common is to have multiple accounts, where you let everybody in one, and keep the other more reserved for truly close friends.

I actually need to clean house on some of my "friends." I am to the point of if I don't recognize you on the street, why would we be friends in cyberspace?
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 11 years ago
Maybe I don't understand my facebook settings but I have everything set to friends only. But I still see posts from other people who are responding to my friends posts. These people are not my friends but I see their posts so to me that means that when I post to my friends' pages people who are not my friends can see it. Am I wrong or do I not understand the privacy settings?
supporter
I agree with Wendy...Other folks can see your posts, I think, with the friends only settings...
Posted by Lorin Dixson (+596) 11 years ago
I have been looking over my facebook stuff, and have came to the conclusion that I don't think there is anything on there that I am going to worry very much about someone seeing. I have had people request to be my friend that I didn't know who they are, and I just say no. I have also had friend requests from people I didn't recognize But there was mutual friends and I asked them who they were and it has always turned out to be someone I did know, and just didn't reognize the name usually female that had a different name now. I think mine is mostly open for anyone to see
Posted by V (+168) 11 years ago
Facebook fan. I do have a myspace page but I haven't been on that page in MONTHS!! I like facebook because I have found a lot of my friends from school. I also play some of the games on facebook and my family is in Cali.actually every where so I can chat with them at the same time. I don't twitter, I don't need to let everyone know what I am doing every minute of my life. Facebook I can choose who I want to see my profile.. :-)
supporter
To be honest you have to be "hip and with it" to begin with to use these services. They don't make you hip - you need to be hip to survive on them.

Facebook, for example, changed privacy defaults several weeks ago. They snuck it in and roped it back a few inches but, in reality, it was a calculated attempt to soften some people's hold on their private data. If you were on of the geeks (like me) who keep up with tech journals, blogs, etc. then you'd have gotten early warning to go re-adjust your settings. However, a lot of users still don't realize their defaults have been changed but the damage is done.

Playing games on Facebook is entirely a marketing/advertising move. Playing opens your privacy to new terms of service and whatever blanks you fill in about your friends (even if they don't participate in polls or surveys) reveals info about them. If they are foolish enough to play the game based on your auto-generated invitation... their privacy opens up to the developers.

Knowing what to be careful about is the real trick to any of these services.

Usually, when someone makes a blanket statement about a service or "the internet" privacy subject I invite them to visit Zabasearch, for example, to see how easy a collection of publicly data info is available to them. It's nothing new new but it's a collection point that even newcomers can use. The catch-22 is that by using Zabasearch you're supplying additional data - your search alone helps cross-reference data. Still, the people who freak out about Twitter or Facebook would damn near have a stroke if they saw their own results on services like Zaba or similar. Private investigators and reporting agencies have enjoyed this access for some time - it's now conveniently available for free or $20 to anyone now.

Fear your habits more than a Twitter post.

If you've ever carbon-copied an email to a bunch of people or passed on one of those stupid "inspirational" stories to twenty people on your email list you're more dangerous than any PleaseRobMe site.
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+271) 11 years ago
its interesting that zabasearch came up here! i used to work for citigroup and we used the internet and all of its treasures to find people skipping out on their bills. larger metro-areas have lots of their public records online; i tracked a guy down in pennsylvania (his grandma's house) from finding out who his former landlord was online (here in oregon) talking to that guy for maybe 3 minutes, then entering any relevant information about the guy. this took me less than 30 minutes and i was talking to his grandma who told me he just got a job at the mini-mart on such-and-such street there in pennsylvania.

oh, and don't get me started on 'facebook friends'... another glorious method to harass and track people down.
Posted by Maryann McDaniel (+249) 11 years ago
I joined Twitter this past summer only to find out what was going on in Iraq -- at that time only source of news. I am also on Facebook, but only for updates on relatives. I do play on Farmville and Fishville, but getting a little tired of both and may let all my critters die soon. Don't report me to SPCA!
Posted by Ord Compton (+11) 11 years ago
My 1st encounter with a social network was with IRC (Internet Relay Chat.)
Loved it, typed realtime to people around the globe. That was with my 1st personal computer in '94.
I was on FB for awhile got real tired of invites to "Mafia Wars" et al.
Twitter?.. never! I really don't need to be in CONSTANT contact with anyone.
When was the last time YOU actually put a pen to paper and wrote a letter to some one?

It's been a long time for me too.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 11 years ago
Outside of mc.com, I occasionally post on my local newspaper's discussion board (the right wing idiots on that forum make Rick and Richard look like William F. Buckley).

As a homebrewer, I post on a couple of those boards, like the Homebrew Digest, the Northern Brewer Forum, the AHA discussion board, etc. I do go by an alias there. Its the same alias....those who participate in those forums easily figure out who I am.

But, I may be unique amongst those here, that I have actually met other internet homebrewers.....and last year, I hosted a 4 day gathering of such brewers. When you think about it, that is kind of weird.....hanging out drinking with people you met on the internet. But, I guess that makes me "hip & with it"....in a scary way.

As far as the social networking sites go....lump me in with the "too busy to bother" crowd.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 11 years ago
Oh dear... Let's see...

I'm on...
Facebook
Myspace
Twitter
Linkedin
MC.com
Caliber Forumz (car forum)
Google Accounts
Yahoo
IRC Chatting networks
uStream.tv
Justin.tv
Blog.tv
and more...

Fun fact! Who knew "twitter" was actually originally called "Twttr"? I did! How? I was a beta tester.

Same with facebook, did you know just 2ish short years ago, you had to be in college to even sign up on facebook?

I check myspace once every great while, because I have a few friends on there who hate facebook.

Linkedin is just for the internet businesslike type.

Mc.com is a DUH.

And the Caliber Forumz are for randomly talking about the Dodge Caliber series vehicle.

Plus along with those, I have profiles throughout the internet I don't even remember anymore...

Edit:

Also forgot I always am connected, along with Dan. I have 2 computers, 4 screens, infront of me at all times at home. On the go I have my Droid with my email, all my home bookmarks and access to my files from my phone, along with my full music collection. At work I can access anything at home with the click of a button. Now, if I go out of town... and there is no cell signal... That is a peace and quiet/panic moment. :P

[This message has been edited by Josh Rath (2/28/2010)]
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 11 years ago
Gunnar,

Once in awhile an interesting discussion breaks out here:

hist-brewing
http://www.pbm.com/mailma...st-brewing
supporter
I have met dozens and maybe hundreds of people in real life after first meeting them on the internet. I have never regretted it. The thing that strikes me the most about it is that in my experience, people are a lot more like their online persona than you might think. There is a lot of talk about how being online changes people. I don't think so. It may reduce some inhibitions, but for the people I have met, the ones that were nice online were nice in real life, and the ones that were jerks online were jerks in real life as well.

As far as privacy goes, I am with Lorin. I don't put anything on Facebook that I am particularly concerned with anyone finding out. I know a lot of people get very worried about pictures of their kids, but I'm not exactly sure why. There are billions of pictures of children on the web and there's no particular reason that some creep would single out yours and then go to the huge effort it would take to find out where they live and track them down when everybody has tons of children right in their neighborhood if they really wanted to victimize one. Statistically, the most likely people to hurt your kids are people you know and trust in your family, community, school, etc. Not some random creepy guy on the internet.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
I have met dozens and maybe hundreds of people in real life after first meeting them on the internet. I have never regretted it. The thing that strikes me the most about it is that in my experience, people are a lot more like their online persona than you might think. There is a lot of talk about how being online changes people. I don't think so. It may reduce some inhibitions, but for the people I have met, the ones that were nice online were nice in real life, and the ones that were jerks online were jerks in real life as well.

Well Levi, there goes another theory. In person, I am lovable fuzzball that is introverted and doesn't talk a whole lot. You probably won't know that from the interaction here on MC.com.

Just saying.
supporter
Richard,

Well, I don't talk that much in real life either, but that's just what I meant about reduced inhibitions. In no way would I think that you were a jerk from your posts on this board. In fact I think you would *have* to be an easygoing guy to take the amount of name calling and personal attacks that you get on this board almost daily without responding in kind.
Posted by Josh Rath (+2305) 11 years ago
Meet me in real life, then judge. I'm generally more friendly that way, but you never know!
supporter
I know a lot of people get very worried about pictures of their kids, but I'm not exactly sure why.

I think, again, it's context and how it's done.

I suppose, if one ponders how a perv might latch on to a kid based on hundreds of photos out there in cyberspace it is wise to make sure your photo, in the context it's available, doesn't give more clues than necessary, if you're concerned.

Lots of cameras (including phones with cameras) have EXIF info that contains geo-location. It's a little code tucked into each photo that shows, among other things, the date it was taken, time, aperture settings, and on and on. Latitude and longitude is often some of the data contained in this file that's easily read by freebie software (or a service like Flickr, for example). It's not spy technology anymore... it's a selling point - a feature.

So, a picture of your kids on vacation might be one thing. Imagine, though, a picture of your kid where you post a caption that says "Tommy in our backyard playing in the sprinkler."

...and the EXIF data contains Lat/Long that even Google can pinpoint on a map down to the driveway, and the photo shows the blue house in the background.

Granted, this isn't something one can't see driving by in a car. However, now think about your entire photo collection online and how many little clues could be gleaned by someone that knows an exact location, your real name instead of a user-name, what your kid looks like, the fact you got a new big screen TV and mounted it in your attached garage for game-night, and have a link to your Twitter account where you announce you're on family vacation.

It's the overall context and collection of bad habits that could let someone do a few bits of cross referencing that could *possibly* be a privacy problem.

Again, it's more a collection of odd bits of info that we don't realize we've freely shared here and there - not the service or act of posting a photo.

I lost my wallet once. I had a picture of my kids in it, plus address on license, etc. That's not high tech at all but it triggered in me a personal decision that I'd no longer carry photos of my kids in my wallet. My own little judgment call.
supporter
I know it's technically possible to find out location information based on photos, just extremely unlikely that anyone would. It just doesn't make sense that some predator would go on some geo-caching style quest for some random kid just based on a photo when there are kids everywhere. IMO you are putting your kid in more danger by feeding them a hot dog than you are by posting a picture of them on facebook, even if they are standing in front of your mailbox with your address written on the side.
supporter
I think my point was agreement that simply posting a single facebook picture was unlikely a big deal. Instead, that a series of actions many people make DO add up and that a "geo-caching quest," in reality, takes about seven clicks and four minutes under the right (or wrong) circumstances for someone who is motivated.

Most people don't realize they've left fifty clues for a dozen invitations while they're foolishly obsessed with one thing (like Facebook, as a whole). It's actually the many other things they don't realize they've done that could conspire against them.

Also, in agreement that, broadly speaking, perverts aren't swarming every millimeter of society every microsecond of the day staring at our child, either. But, being sympathetic I can see why "all it takes is one" and a person might start to realize there's more we do than we're probably aware of... my original point.
Posted by Slosh (+701) 11 years ago
I'm a horrible facebook addict. It's been great running into old friends that I haven't seen since high school and even my first crush from 20 years ago (still hot by the way). But I don't do any of the mafia wars, farmville or any of that kind of stuff. I just don't have the time or patience to get into it. Maybe now that basketball season is just about over I will, but not likely.

As far as the kids pictures is concerned. I do have pictures of my daughter on facebook, a ton of them actually. And yes, I do worry about it. But no more than I worry about her playing in the front yard or any other situation.

I have a myspace account, but haven't updated it in well over a year and barely remember to check it out. Most of my friends on there are also on facebook, so there's no real point.

Other than that, I may post every once in awhile on an espn.com story or the Dolphins and Marlins stories at the Miami Herald.