Question for Mariners fans
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5101) 12 years ago
The over/under for number of regular season wins for the Mariners is 82.5.

Seems kind of low to me.

What say you, Mariners fans??????
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10014) 12 years ago
Low. I would put it in the 90's. Let's just add 10 and say 92.5.
Posted by Kyle L. Varnell (+3752) 12 years ago
I agree, also low but I'll go even better.

If the pitching hold up and players stay healthy, I'm gonna say 100 wins this season. It should be a really great season for Mariners fans.
supporter
I think it's low too, but whenever I like an over/under, odds are it's a sucker play...
admin
founder
As long as everyone stays healthy, and plays up to potential, I think there's a legitimate shot of them making it to the WS for the first time ever -- but a lot of ducks have to line up. Dave and I were at win #116 -- the most by any modern team, but didn't make it through the playoffs. The short series is tough, and then the whole injury or having a bad year thing, not to mention random chance. So who knows. I'd throw them in the 90's, making it to the playoffs, and who knows after that. It should be an interesting season.
supporter
Posted by Julie (+414) 12 years ago
Posted by Bill Kilgore (+8) 12 years ago
82.5 may be a few games low but is probably fair considering the Mariners are in arguably the toughest all around division in baseball this coming season plus 20 combined games against the Yankees and Red Sox and 15 combined against the Tigers and Twins. Not to mention a new group of guys, very talented guys yes, but they have yet to play a game together. Hopefully they break the 100 game mark
admin
founder
Actually, the AL west coast is not anywhere near the toughest division. There's only four teams in it (tell me another division that has fewer) and the other three are actually not set up that well. The Mariners will be in #1 spot most of the year. Then the playoffs. They'll do at least 90-something. Check back in October to see if I was accurate. The last two years I picked correct.
Posted by Brian Hubbell (+123) 12 years ago
The AL West is most definitely not the best division in baseball, however I really hope people are not over looking the Angels because some of their off-season moves, they are still the favorite in the AL West folks. I really hope the Mariners have a better season, its been a while, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. I am very excited about the pitching staff this season, but it takes the whole package to beat the Yankees and Bosox, who are indeed in the toughest division in the AL.
admin
founder
I have to disagree with you there. The Angels have screwed up their roster. I beleive the Mariners (in my opinion anyway) are the leading contenders for the AL West. We'll have to see what happens this year, but I'll bet you they are going to be right up there at the top.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 12 years ago
I would have to agree with most of the posters here....the off-season deal makings have definitely left the Mariners the top in the AL West.

I admit, as a Phillies fan, I monitor the AL only on the periphry...but the talent market is limited for both leagues, and the moves the Mariners have been making have been as good as it gets.

I guess its time for projections....and since this will be here for ever (well, at least until Larry pulls the plug), I will predict 94 wins for the Ms this season.....

....I am predicting 96 for the Phils! Go Phillies!

...(sorry for the temporary hijack....go on to your regularly scheduled Ms thread.....)
admin
founder
Gunnar, the problem with the NL is the damn pitchers have to hit a ball. I'll reverse your two projections and bet you the Mariners win more games than the Phillies. Now we have to wait 162 to find out the result.
Now we have to wait 162 to find out the result.

For the Mariners yes, however I don't need 162 games to see my desired outcome.

Number 28 is coming to the Bronx this October.
supporter
OK, I'm in

Mariners (OVER 82.5 WINS)

Wish me luck.

My investment advisor was mocking me, daring me take the Mariners. He even called me a pelican, which isn't very nice. We'll see who gets the last laugh, I guess.
admin
founder
Well, I think that's a pretty safe bet and you're going to win. If not, you can collect it out of me in October.
admin
founder
Okay, I did a quick google.

http://www.baseballprospe...antasy/dc/

I know that's fantasy, but I can't beleive the projected rankings for the AL West, nor even the entire AL, or even all of MLB. It is definately not going to be in that order.

They have the BoSox and Rays as the only teams with more than 90 wins, the Yanks finishing 3rd in the div (w/ 89 wins), the M's finishing 3rd in their div (w/ 82 wins, which is below both Oakland and Texas), they have the Angels in ALW last place (only 76 wins), etc.

Someone is not doing their job correct.
supporter
Larry:

Thanks, but I'll take my lumps if it doesn't come in. The worst part is my smug investment advisor...
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 12 years ago
Gunnar, the problem with the NL is the damn pitchers have to hit a ball.

Like the way God intended it.

I still hate the 3-point shot in basketball, too.
supporter
How about when they took the holes out of the peach baskets? That pissed me off.

I miss the jump balls after every basket. Also.
Posted by Patrick Petroff (+64) 12 years ago
I think the Mariners will end up falling close to where they did last year, ending with about 86 or 87 wins. I think outside King Felix and Lee their depth has some issues in the rotation. Rowland-Smith will probably have a decent season, but based on Felix and Lee's best winning seasons (19 and 22, 41 total) the bullpen and rotation have to come up with the other 45 or 46 wins. The Mariners won 85 last year and King Felix was the only pitcher on the team to achieve double-digit victories so it could be done. Despite losing Russell Branyan's 31 homers from last year, their lineup should be better with the additions of Chone Figgins and Milton Bradley. The acquisition of Casey Kotchman is a nice defensive upgrade, but I honestly cannot wait until the Major League arrival of Dustin Ackley! Chemistry will be a huge factor in whether this team will win the division or not and Milton Bradley is a "chemistry killer." Hopefully, he shapes up!

I don't think the loss of John Lackey will hurt the Angels as bad as expected. They have the best starting rotation in the AL West with Ervin Santana, Joe Saunders, Jered Weaver, Scott Kazmir, and Joel Pineiro. The question is how they will fill the void of Chone Figgins and his role in the leadoff position. They have plenty of speed from Maicer Izturis, Erick Aybar, and Howie Kendrick, but none will match Figgins' 42 stolen bases in 2009. Izturis who I think would be the most likely candidate will not start often unless either Aybar or Kendrick are injured. Figgins' replacement at third base, Brandon Wood, will bring some pop to the lineup. He respectively had 101 home runs over the last four years between Double A and Triple A and in 2005 he hit 43 home runs for Class A Rancho Cucamonga. On the downside, he has a big hole in his swing and strikes out often, very Jack Cust-like for fellow A's fans. Hideki Matsui will slide right into the DH position voided by Vlad the Impaler and no one will even know he is gone (until Texas comes to town and the fans feel the wind again from that big hack of his).

So with that all said, I think the LA Angels will remain on top of the AL West this year. Seattle 2 or 3 games back, followed by Texas and Beane Ball Oakland.
admin
founder
I believe the Mariners had the best pitching out of MLB last year, and they've improved it immensely. Pitching is not their problem, hitting is. I guess if they have enough defense, then they're heading to the playoffs. I think it is only going to take slightly more than 90 wins to do that, with Texas and Anaheim being the other contenders. Oakland, imo, will end up 4th. No way to know though, until after we go through 162.
supporter
Seattle, Texas, Anaheim, Oakland. IMO.
Posted by Matt - Schmitz (+173) 12 years ago
I think you're right Julie. Seattle winning the division with 97 wins.
supporter
Seattle winning the division with 102 wins
supporter
Julie & Matt:

I hope you guys are right.

If you are, I will be talking smack in late July.
supporter
Trust me Bob L. Matt and I are always right.
Damn Straight!
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 12 years ago
Zudnerwhatsname may not even be done yet. I think The Mariners will win 96 - enought to win the division. If they can get there, and the pitching staff is still healthy, they'll be tough in the playoffs.
supporter
Posted by KEITH B (+238) 12 years ago
Rarely do I agree with this many posts on this site so I feel compelled to respond. First Patrick shares my big concern about team chemistry and Milton Bradley. Considering the M's recent moves I've never been this excited about a season but I feel the Bradley factor could really be a buzz killer. Second I agree with Julie on the standings (good call). Third I agree with Matt on wins (well almost,I'm going with 96). I'm excited about the addition of Eric Byrnes, if you're not real familiar with that name I think you will know it well before the season is over. Go M's.
supporter
Posted by KEITH B (+238) 12 years ago
Sorry Bob, you get credit for the 96, I type to slow.
admin
founder
Junior will tickle everyone to death, take care of Bradley, and all will be well in the clubhouse.
supporter
Posted by Bob Netherton II (+1911) 12 years ago
I'm hoping we're both right, Keith.
Posted by dmbohlman (+18) 12 years ago
Really?? 102 wins Julie?? even 97 wins Matt? That is a pretty big number! The Red Sox haven't got to 100 wins EVER and look how good they have been the last decade.... The Yankees did it 5 times in the last 15 years... and 3 of those years they were in the Series and the other 2 lost in the ALCS and they paid 200+ million for those squads... 102 wins is really stretching for a team who plays in such a spread out park without premier bats (minus ichiro)!! Ill say they will be a tad better than last year, but still only 90 wins AT THE MOST. GO WHITESOX!!!
admin
founder
Ah, I think the Yanks are getting screwed by the link above. They're probably going to end up #1 or #2 (wildcard) without much trouble. The Mariners, in their div, I'm guessing 92 ... and that should be enough to get them to the playoffs. If they're really pressed by the Angels or Texas, add a couple more on. Same result. Although it actually is possible they may be a 100+ win team this year. There is a lot of stuff aligned that's not being taken into consideration. The fact that Bob's bookie has them at 82.5, is stupid. I will kiss anyone's ass if they don't hit that mark this year.
The Red Sox haven't got to 100 wins EVER and look how good they have been the last decade

Better check those facts there Dmbohlman:

1912 Boston Red Sox
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...Sox_season

The 1912 Boston Red Sox season involved the Red Sox finishing 1st in the American League with a record of 105 wins and 47 losses

1915 Boston Red Sox

The 1915 Boston Red Sox season involved the Red Sox finishing 1st in the American League with a record of 101 wins and 50 losses

1946 Boston Red Sox

During the 1946 Boston Red Sox season, the Red Sox won their sixth American League championship, with a record of 104 wins and 50 losses.

[This message has been edited by Kyle L. Varnell (2/26/2010)]
supporter
Webmaster:

Investment advisor.
I also seem to remember the Mariners getting 116 wins a few short years ago. Of course they had a second baseman hopped up on the juice, and who knows how many other players juicing. That number was out of the question at the start of that year also, so anything is possible. 116 is certainly not likely again, but I think 97 wins is a very reasonable number. With Figgins hitting second, pitchers will be forced to pitch to Ichiro, ensuring another stellar year for Ichiro. He may well threaten his season long hits record. 262 I think. I think I would put Hernandez as my #1 pitcher, and Cliff Lee at the #3 or #4 hole. Then you never go more than 3 days without a top flight pitcher taking the mound. Not sure of that strategy, but I think it's worth a debate. Any arguments? I have no doubt that Junior will keep Milton Bradley in line. He can expect a pillowcase party if he gets too far out there. A return to form from Bedard, not that out of the question, and this team could do big things. At the very least, it's gong to be a great summer watching baseball. Isn't it always?
I'm just glad they shipped the albatross Brandon Morrow out of town.

Now if only they'd ship Ryan Rowland-Smith to the Yankees I'd be a happy camper.
supporter
Webmaster wrote:
The fact that Bob's bookie investment advisor has them at 82.5, is stupid. I will literally kiss anyone's ass if they don't hit that mark this year.

Did you hear that, Ike???

[This message has been edited by Bob L. (2/27/2010)]