How much would you pay survey?
Posted by CK (+851) 11 years ago
If you are a little bored and want to take a survey....here you go.

1. How much would you pay for scheduled delivery of water softener salt?

2. How much would you pay for scheduled delivery of dog food?

3. How much would you pay for scheduled delivery of drinking water?

4. How much would you pay for general delivery of heavier items? i.e. potting soil, lava rock, pea gravel, appliances, lumber, etc.

5. Would you ever hire someone to clean your gutters?

6. How much would you pay to have someone board your dog? Would you pay more if they had their own dog run? Or exercise run?

7. How much would you pay to have your dog trained?

8. How much would you pay for an "In-town Moving Guy" service?

Trying to run with a few ideas. I am guessing some are better than others and thought I would check with the community before I decided ya'll needed such a service.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 11 years ago
You might get people who need appliances delivered from Billings.

I don't board my dogs. I hire an in house dog sitter and pay premium rates. They are hard to find.

Good luck on your ventures.
Posted by CK (+851) 11 years ago
What does an in house dog sitter consist of? My wife and i discussed this and she had the same idea. What I am looking for is a small business idea that won't be full time as I work full time. Something on the side, not for money reasons but more for tax write off purposes. Small Business things. Thanks for your input.

[This message has been edited by CK (2/17/2010)]
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 11 years ago
If you start a small business and immediately start writing off losses, (because that is your business plan), then you will become, I would imagine, the subject of intense scrutiny from the IRS...Not a good idea IMO...
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 11 years ago
Something on the side, not for money reasons but more for tax write off purposes. Small Business things.

Howdy's correct, as usual. If you intend to run the business for profit then you must show a profit in three of any five years or the IRS may decide that it is a hobby and disallow any losses taken on previous returns. If, on the other hand, you are just doing it for a lark, more like a hobby, you can deduct your losses but only up to the income from the hobby so it's a wash. Unfortunately, the IRS doesn't allow people to create tax write-offs from thin air.

With that in mind, if you're looking for a second job how about a poop-scooping business? I'm not sure if Miles City is big enough to support that but there are several here in Salt Lake.

[This message has been edited by Wendy Wilson (2/17/2010)]
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17321) 11 years ago
Here's my small business idea (surprise, surprise)....operate a brewing and winemaking supply shop out of your garage. You can be open from 5-8 pm Wednesday-Friday, and 9-12 Saturday. Sell some basic equipment and kits to make your own beer and wine. Stick to dry yeast (it doesn't need such a fast turnover), stock a few kits, and you're (as the former governor of Illinois would say) golden.
Posted by trey (+45) 11 years ago
Gunnar, wouldn't that be the not only be the former... but winner of several reality tv shows... hahaha

[This message has been edited by trey (2/17/2010)]
Posted by polar bear (+509) 11 years ago
Remember that for lots of these things you are going to need to carry hefty business liability insurance.
Posted by Christen LeBlanc Ramsey (+271) 11 years ago
#6 only. having friends pet-sit has backfired too many times. we paid $45 a day (for both, not individual) to have our two dogs boarded at a facility here in portland-metro that has dog runs, streams and supervised play (indoors and out,) as well as private 'rooms' for dogs. they seemed quite worn out when we got home from a weekend jaunt to seattle. it must have been a bonding experience for them, as they cuddled on the love seat the entire evening.
Posted by Kacey (+3159) 11 years ago
Unfortunately if you board your dog in Miles City he or she will be kept in a kennel with minimum care, especially on the weekends. Kennel cough is another issue. I know of two different people whose dogs developed kennel cough after boarding. Plus if you have dogs who are elderly or have medical needs they will not do well in a kennel. Dogs who have anxiety issues often have to be lightly sedated to be kept in a kennel.

There is a new place in Billings where dogs have their own rooms and more care. But that's in Billings.

In home care consists of someone who can be at my home at least three times during the day and spends the night.

If you are really doing it for a tax write off, I'd agree with the others. Don't. The IRS will be on top of you for not making a profit after a while.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1606) 11 years ago
Start a business that negotiates with existing businesses to erect a webcam at no cost or difficulty to them. I understand there's a distinct need for one in the area.

FH
Posted by Ord Compton (+11) 11 years ago
Nothing... I don't need the "service"
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+14950) 11 years ago
Start a business that negotiates with existing businesses to erect a webcam at no cost or difficulty to them. I understand there's a distinct need for one in the area.

Too funny.
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4943) 11 years ago
When will the Grind be completed so the cam can be mounted?
Posted by stephen (+250) 11 years ago
1. How much would you pay for scheduled delivery of water softener salt? Nothing, as I wouldn't need that delivered?

2. How much would you pay for scheduled delivery of dog food?
Nothing, I don't have a dog, and I could just go to walmart and get it.

3. How much would you pay for scheduled delivery of drinking water?
I think I pay MC water $35 a month for water from my faucet, and then a brita water filter.

4. How much would you pay for general delivery of heavier items? i.e. potting soil, lava rock, pea gravel, appliances, lumber, etc.
Again, I wouldn't. I have friends who have trucks and vans to do it for free.

5. Would you ever hire someone to clean your gutters?
No, but my landlord might

6. How much would you pay to have someone board your dog? Would you pay more if they had their own dog run? Or exercise run?
N/A again.

7. How much would you pay to have your dog trained?
Nothing, I'd just put in the work myself.

8. How much would you pay for an "In-town Moving Guy" service?
Well, when I moved about 2 weeks ago, I paid my friend nothing for the use of her bed, and then her boyfriend let us use his truck. If it's in town, why not ask your friends for help?

I need none of these services, but someone else might. I think the best bet would be in-town moving guy, only because not everyone has friends.